Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
mommytaylor
Banned
seller

Why last night and my OB are a joke... and I need some advice?

I feel like a pincushion.

Yesterday around 5pm contractions started - at first I figured they were BH like usual, but they were hard, painful, and steady around every 4-5 minutes for an hour. I called my OB (who now has one less patient, I'll get to that), and played phone tag for 45 minutes before one of her random nurses called me back to tell me to come into the hospital (an hour and a half away). I asked why my OB hadn't called me back as I was told she would and the nurse said it was her night off. I asked if it took her 45 minutes to figure that out and call me back. She didn't have much to say.

I call DH, we go to the hospital. Get there around 8pm - contractions have been pretty continous and I'm a bit freaked out. Not to mention DH, lol. We go in, get all hooked up and they see *gasp* regular contractions. It took a lot of control when they had been going for hours to not say "Well, DUH" when the nurse said that I was having them. I'm still grumpy, obviously.

Nurse gives me a shot of terbutaline, which does nothing. I don't let her give me a second one (I've read some case studies on adverse affects on dosages over 15mg in 24 hours). However, 11pm rolls around and the contractions have died down. My OB apparently decided it wasn't worth showing up because the nurse calls a doctor who is covering for her to get any further instructions (a FFN which came back negative thank God, as well as a cervix inspection by a resident - still closed but much thinner than it should be). Other than that my blood pressure was high, and they suggested some warm showers for the low backpain.

Anyway, a couple hours later we leave, go home with bedrest instructions. We go to my doctor appt today that had been scheduled about a month ago.

My OB waltzes in and brushes it all off. No cervical exam, no cervical measurements, no ultrasound, no bedrest of any kind. Her nurse even expected her to do an exam - she was visibly shocked when she didn't. Just tells me to go to the hospital if it happens again. Oh, and she lectures me that my net pregnancy weight gain is still -8 pounds. I am honestly shocked - I inform her that I eat constantly and my bigger concern right now is that I am 28 weeks, having contractions though not as regular since the shot they gave me, high blood pressure, low back pain, and a thin cervix..... basically that I was hoping for a little bit of caring on her part - at least some kind of guideline or exam.

She told me she'd see me in 2 weeks, smiled and walked out.

What do I do? Is it too late to change doctors? I mean, DH was pretty agast that she didn't seem to give it any weight when all the doctors and nurses who were there were fairly concerned....

Advertisement

mommytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
emilykaysmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Why last night and my OB are a joke... and I need some advice?

I'd switch and take a copy our your chart, make sure you get records from the hospital too so you can show new dr what they did that night, on your own to the dr. I'd just walk in and ask for a copy of your chart unexpectedly so the dr can't alter them if she knows you are coming for them and take them to the new dr yourself. I only say this because I gripped about an OB I saw then requested a copy over the phone and when I picked it up saw that he had re-written his summary of my chart, adding false things to it... saying he told me this and that when he HADN'T.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
itsymama
Registered
seller

My Mood:

It is not too late to find another doc if that's what you want to do , and I think I would be looking too !

itsymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
mommytaylor
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilykaysmommy View Post
I'd switch and take a copy our your chart, make sure you get records from the hospital too so you can show new dr what they did that night, on your own to the dr. I'd just walk in and ask for a copy of your chart unexpectedly so the dr can't alter them if she knows you are coming for them and take them to the new dr yourself. I only say this because I gripped about an OB I saw then requested a copy over the phone and when I picked it up saw that he had re-written his summary of my chart, adding false things to it... saying he told me this and that when he HADN'T.
Good to hear. In terms of what they did to me at the hospital, I only have my discharge papers with me - but I assume if I stop in I can get a copy of them.

Definitely a good note on hand delivery - its worth it to me. There's a smaller more local hospital near by I might change to - its just hard making this change late in the game. And with the contractions at 28 weeks its making it a hard case for any UC hopes I had.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
Rachaelbee
Registered Users

My Mood:

1. it's not too late to get a different doc.
2. take it easy and hydrate all the time. (no lifting and take it easy on the you know what if it triggers contractions, also being dehydrated can cause contractions)
3. Keep track of symptoms, different than the usual. Monitor baby's movements if things slow down or speed up alot.

With my pregnancies I contracted ALOT, the dr's monitored me more towards the end. The reason she probably didn't check your cervix is that when it gets touched it can trigger contractions and changes. Terb will raise baby's heartbeat if it is used for long periods of time, usually without harm to the baby but should be used in moderation, I was on it for over a week straight taking a dose (10mg I think) every 6 or 8 hours, and then was taken off it because baby was getting stressed from it.

Better to err on the side of caution and go into the hospital if you think something is off, or if you are contracting more or harder than is good at this stage. If you can't get ahold of the dr within a few minutes of calling with questions call the l&d at the hospital and talk to them.

I hope everything goes well for you from now on, if you want to talk more pm me, after 3 baby's and prodramal labor and preterm labor I have a bit of experience in the birthing area.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #6
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

NOT TOO LATE AT ALL! Get thee to a new doc ASAP. Ugh. What a boob. I agree, you should not bother notifying them that you need a copy of your record - just go in and get one. If they give you a hard time about it, remind them it is YOUR record and you are entitled to it.

Did you figure out why you were contracting at all? Had you been especially active that day, done any heavy lifting, drinking enough water?? Did the nurses bother to ask you any questions about it to try and figure it out?
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:09 PM   #7
hsjwmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Switch. There is no excuse for your doctor's behavior. You need someone who is going to stay on top of your condition or you could be delivering WAY too early. At least you have proof that you are contracting...You are more likely to be taken seriously if it happens again.

With my 1st, I was contracting regularly at 28 weeks. The hospital my midwife sent me to put the monitors on too high and they didn't show that I was contracting. Fortunately, my midwife believed me and put me on partial bedrest. 4 weeks later, I went into full blown labor that was only stopped by a huge loading dose of Magnesium Sulphate along with 2-3 other drugs. I delivered after 3 weeks of hospital bedrest and Mag Sulphate. If I had had a doctor like yours, I likely would have delivered a lot earlier and had a very sick baby.

I hope you find another doctor that you like and that will take better care of you!
Old 08-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
Rachaelbee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsjwmom View Post
Switch. There is no excuse for your doctor's behavior. You need someone who is going to stay on top of your condition or you could be delivering WAY too early. At least you have proof that you are contracting...You are more likely to be taken seriously if it happens again.

With my 1st, I was contracting regularly at 28 weeks. The hospital my midwife sent me to put the monitors on too high and they didn't show that I was contracting. Fortunately, my midwife believed me and put me on partial bedrest. 4 weeks later, I went into full blown labor that was only stopped by a huge loading dose of Magnesium Sulphate along with 2-3 other drugs. I delivered after 3 weeks of hospital bedrest and Mag Sulphate. If I had had a doctor like yours, I likely would have delivered a lot earlier and had a very sick baby.

I hope you find another doctor that you like and that will take better care of you!
sounds almost exactly like my last pregnancy! Mag is not fun. I was able to do at home bedrest with home meds after 4 days in the hospital when I was 33 weeks along. I also delivered 3 weeks after that.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #9
mommytaylor
Banned
seller

First off, whew, I feel better hearing y'all.

The nurses tried to be helpful by asking questions but no, I hadn't done any lifting, no sex (DH actually laughed when the nurse asked that and said he couldn't name the last time, lol, wow), my urine is clear (I drink TONS of water to keep BH contrax down) - well hydrated... Unfortunately I left with no more info than I had when I arrived in terms of why I was/am having contractions, but the contractions were stopped by the time I left.

They are back as of this morning, but weak and a bit less regular than they were yesterday. DH prescribed bedrest since the OB didn't (lol) and told me to log onto my "diaper forum" to pass some time till we find a different OB - he's asking around at work a ton trying to get a better idea on other hospitals in the area that have "good reviews"...

Why oh why do I still want to throttle my OB?
Old 08-29-2007, 03:17 PM   #10
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, are you taking a cal/mag supplement? If not, you should. It will help with lots of things: sleep, leg cramps, keeping blood pressure down, keeping your uterus more relaxed, achy joints... to name a few. You should aim for 1500mg calcium/500mg of magnesium. Best taken at bedtime.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote