Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #11
rwooley
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why last night and my OB are a joke... and I need some advice?

mama... No its not too late to switch docs, I did at 28 weeks Good luck!

Advertisement

rwooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:22 PM   #12
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Its never too late I would NOT let that woman deliver my baby if I were you! You need the kind of dr thats going to take things like this seriously and DO SOMETHING about them!

So sorry to hear about your contractions, thats scary! Will keep you in my prayers as well as little Nicholas
Old 08-29-2007, 03:25 PM   #13
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no advice on the contrax as I never went through any of that. But get a new doctor because they work for you, not the other way around.

And huge to your dh...sounds like you have a great one! My dh would've been clueless - we had to go in once at about 28 weeks because of lack of movement and I was in the car ready to drive and waiting for him to...pick out his shoes!!!!!! numbnut. (since ds arrived he's gotten more of a clue)
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:28 PM   #14
mommytaylor
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancifulFanny View Post
no advice on the contrax as I never went through any of that. But get a new doctor because they work for you, not the other way around.

And huge to your dh...sounds like you have a great one! My dh would've been clueless - we had to go in once at about 28 weeks because of lack of movement and I was in the car ready to drive and waiting for him to...pick out his shoes!!!!!! numbnut. (since ds arrived he's gotten more of a clue)
My DH is the worry wart that lectures me for taking the time to pick out my shoes When I called him "hey, honey, I need to go into the hospital - I'm having contractions when I shouldn't be" I had to preempt it with "and don't panic, it'll be alright" - he still went over the speed limit on the way there

He is wonderful though, and insanely supportive. Heck, any man who says "I'll cloth diaper" gets a in my book!
mommytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #15
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to let you know that it's never too late to switch caregivers. I switched at 15 weeks, 24 weeks, and 37 weeks.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that, mama! I hope all is well for you!
Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:48 PM   #16
jennywymore
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Terbutaline (trade names Brethine, Bricanyl, or Brethaire) is a β2-adrenergic receptor agonist, used as a fast-acting bronchodilator (often used as a short-term asthma treatment) and as a tocolytic to delay premature labour. The inhaled form of terbutaline starts working within 15 minutes and can last up to 6 hours.

Terbutaline as a treatment for premature labour is an off-label use not approved by the FDA. Studies have suggested that terbutaline is a developmental neurotoxicant and may cause brain damage to the infant.[1]

I have never heard of this drug before, but I do know that if you were in preterm labor and your ob didnt show up, you should consider changing. A great book I know there are lots of them, " The pregnancy book" Sears, it has great options for birth. You can acually get this book for free from www.paperbackswap.com
jennywymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:00 PM   #17
mommytaylor
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennywymore View Post
Terbutaline (trade names Brethine, Bricanyl, or Brethaire) is a β2-adrenergic receptor agonist, used as a fast-acting bronchodilator (often used as a short-term asthma treatment) and as a tocolytic to delay premature labour. The inhaled form of terbutaline starts working within 15 minutes and can last up to 6 hours.

Terbutaline as a treatment for premature labour is an off-label use not approved by the FDA. Studies have suggested that terbutaline is a developmental neurotoxicant and may cause brain damage to the infant.[1]

I have never heard of this drug before, but I do know that if you were in preterm labor and your ob didnt show up, you should consider changing. A great book I know there are lots of them, " The pregnancy book" Sears, it has great options for birth. You can acually get this book for free from www.paperbackswap.com
I let them do the terbutaline because it was only 5mg, when all the case studies that talk about brain damage to the infant involve 15mg+ in a 24 hour period. I wasn't going to be letting her inject me again - and since they couldn't pinpoint what was causing the contractions and they were progressing in frequency and strength, it was their best recommendation, and I sure didn't have any

On another note, thanks for the book recommendation, I'll have to check that out!
mommytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:12 PM   #18
mengmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Don't fully count yourself out of UC yet. Many women have had issues mid-pg and gone on to be term/past term and deliver perfectly healthy babies! I definitely would get a new doc just in case you have issues again though.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:27 PM   #19
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

get yourself a new dr
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #20
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would switch drs. Although, like a pp mentioned, she may not have checked you since that can sometimes irritate you even more and cause more contractions. I would be pretty put off by her lack of concern though. I went through this w/ DS #1 and it was yucky. I do remember my dr. being a little more concerned though. I don't think it's too late to switch drs. at all. Good luck and stay in bed!
ISO:BSRB TIANs
cm.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote