Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

NB BFing advice for my friend, please!

one of my best friend's just had her second little boy! he's had sort of a rough start which is contributing to some breastfeeding problems he had aspirated fluid into his lungs at birth, so she was not able to nurse him for over a day. and THEN the doctors convinced her that he needed to have one bottle of formula before she should try to breastfeed him. he took the bottle fine.

because he is jaundiced, they were having her supplement after every nursing session, even though she didn't want to. now that they are home, she has stopped supplementing, even though they are greatly pressuring her to do so. the main problem is that he is very tired, and he will suck once or twice at the breast, and then sort of start looking around. she said that it's really tough to get him to nurse long enough to get to a let down.

my only advice for her so far, is to maybe pump before her nursing session to get really close to her letdown, so he is sure to get some milk. as he gets older and stronger i'm sure he'll be able to "prime" her on his own.

any other advice? she has a two year old and is really REALLY stressing over the nursing thing, plus her husband has already returned to work (when the baby was 4 days old). she is absolutely 100% committed to breastfeeding, no other option, so i'd really love to help her!

Advertisement

Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: NB BFing advice for my friend, please!

any other advice mamas? experience? i want to be able to call her back tomorrow and offer some encouragement as well as ideas for concrete ways to help her out.

thanks.
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:09 PM   #3
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my ds was unable to nurse for 6 days and then got pumped milk -I came to nurse him 2 times a day but I have other children and so thats how it was - anyhowhe was also slightly jaundiced so he was in the nicu for 10 days-when he got home I basically made it my job to nurse and hold him pretty much all the time- it took a good 2 weeks to get things straight- skin to skin contact is key-
It would be so good if she could get smeone to care for her other child so she could focus on the nursing relationship-
Old 08-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
mhr1406
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pumping a little to get the milk flowing is great advice. Then she notices that the baby is swallowing less or losing interest she can try breast compressions to speed up the milk flow which should encourage the baby to actively continue to nurse. http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

Other than that the only thing I would think she should try is to offer herr breast very frequently.

I wish her lots of luck
If you think she needs a little more help she can always call the La Leche League too