Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
GooeyDay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Cloth Mama Pads (Postpartum)

Hey there, mamas...

I would like to try using cloth mama pads for the postpartum period (at least). I am wondering how many are necessary to get through a day? Also, should I get more sizes than just the thick postpartum one?

Thanks for the advice
~* Laura

Advertisement

GooeyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Cloth Mama Pads (Postpartum)

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't use cloth this time but I know that I went through like 6-8 overnight hospital ones even after I got home.....and then 4-6 super ones a day for several weeks after that
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

wow, mine wasn't that bad! I used mama cloth last postpartum. I used hospital sposies until I left and immediately changed into my own homemade stuff and felt SO good! I was passing a lot of clots and it was super gross so I changed very frequently. Also, I ended up only having the ones I made that were for regular AF so they needed to be changed more frequently. I would go through probably about 6-8 per day. Washed them with the diapers without any problems. I especially liked the flannel ones backed in fleece with wings and a snap. They were nice and soft but they also had the fleece and the wings to keep them in place and prevent leaks at the sides of my undies and the snap kept them nice and tightly placed. I loved mine. I started making more today. I just make and use the regular size pads for AF and then change frequently. I dont' seem to need long ones or whatever. And to calculate how many you need, if you are like me and use regular ones instead of thick postpartum ones, I'd say around 8-10 per day for however many days you go between washing diapers. So maybe 15-20 MAX if you are washing every other day.
I use this pattern online because it's really really easy for a novice sewer:
www.diapersewing.com

Just scroll down the side to the cloth menstrual pad link. There's also a printable template. VERY easy!
Old 09-01-2007, 08:52 AM   #5
GooeyDay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the advice, mamas! Anyone else with experience, please chime in!

~* Laura
Old 09-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #6
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

id say between 6-10 a day.....definately go with overnights/PP pads for the first few days...i used overnights-9"- for 3 days but then it was just like AF so i switched to regulars 18 would probably be a good # for washing every other day but you can get by with less
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerybugmady View Post
wow, mine wasn't that bad! I used mama cloth last postpartum. I used hospital sposies until I left and immediately changed into my own homemade stuff and felt SO good! I was passing a lot of clots and it was super gross so I changed very frequently. Also, I ended up only having the ones I made that were for regular AF so they needed to be changed more frequently. I would go through probably about 6-8 per day. Washed them with the diapers without any problems. I especially liked the flannel ones backed in fleece with wings and a snap. They were nice and soft but they also had the fleece and the wings to keep them in place and prevent leaks at the sides of my undies and the snap kept them nice and tightly placed. I loved mine. I started making more today. I just make and use the regular size pads for AF and then change frequently. I dont' seem to need long ones or whatever. And to calculate how many you need, if you are like me and use regular ones instead of thick postpartum ones, I'd say around 8-10 per day for however many days you go between washing diapers. So maybe 15-20 MAX if you are washing every other day.
I use this pattern online because it's really really easy for a novice sewer:
www.diapersewing.com

Just scroll down the side to the cloth menstrual pad link. There's also a printable template. VERY easy!

I can't find the menstrual pad link I don't really have a working sewing machine or any sewing ability though...

I'm considering just using preemie pf's...
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:31 PM   #8
mama2madj
Registered Users
seller
seller

yikes! i was hoping 3 would do cause thats all i have and they're soo expensive, figured just wash as soon as one's worn...doesnt sound like it'll be enough though....atleast i have backup of terrycloth inserts when i have to i suppose
Old 09-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #9
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2mad View Post
yikes! i was hoping 3 would do cause thats all i have and they're soo expensive, figured just wash as soon as one's worn...doesnt sound like it'll be enough though....atleast i have backup of terrycloth inserts when i have to i suppose
Maybe use the heavy duty ones for overnights (or just pad a waterproof pad under you, as I do) and get regular or diaper doublers for daytime use.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #10
GooeyDay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boysforme View Post
I can't find the menstrual pad link I don't really have a working sewing machine or any sewing ability though...

I'm considering just using preemie pf's...
For me the link shows up in pink on the left side of the screen, the last under the first heading "Cloth Diapers."

Thanks again for all the advice... I am trying to figure out what and how much to order, without breaking the bank!

~* Laura