Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2007, 06:33 PM   #11
Merolu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is a doula worth the $$?

The midwife is there for the birthing, the doula is there for YOU. I had an emergency c-section and my doula came to the hospital with me and was able to stick up for what I wanted even if I couldn't. She made sure that I was given EVERY chance to have the baby naturally, she brought me sweetened tea and crackers while I was laboring even though the hospital wouldn't "let" me eat. She made sure to stop them when they tried to FF my son and give him sugar water. She made it possible for DH to concentrate on the baby and I, she comforted me and helped coach me when DH was too distracted.
Before the birth, she would make sure I knew what was available to me as well - maternity yoga classes, baby and me classes, the contact for LLL, home visits from a county nurse who would bring me a welcome home basket and lots of info and flyers about even more options I had, she gave me a list of local WAHMs who made things like nursing pillows, slings, taught baby massage, etc. She helped me decide what I wanted in my birth plan as well. She was such a wonderful support. She was in need of one more birth to become certified through DONA and we were it so we got it all for free, but we paid her $300 anyway.
Doulas are such an asset to pregnant moms in so many ways, they serve a different purpose than midwives and take pressure and responsibility off of family (my family wouldn't have been much help anyway) so we can all relax and focus. i want ot be a doula so badly, but since it's something of an 'on-call' job, I'll be waiting til my expected babe is done nursing and can stay with a sitter should I be called out at a strange time.

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #12
MamaJoyful
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did not have a doula last time, but I sure wish I had. I just immediately ruled that out becaue of the cost. However, looking back, I wish I'd tried to make it work. My last birth was really hard for me, and I could have benefited greatly from having someone focused on helping me.

This time I will definately be talking with my midwife about having a doula. I'll see if she knows anyone in training who might be a good match for me. I guess I sorta expected my midwife to act as a doula, but she didn't. I didn't realize how all of it worked. But this time I'm going to do what I can to make the experience better.

Also, I think you know in your heart if you should have family members of friends there. Go with your gut feeling on that one. Some people love that, whereas others just need to be alone (with their labor team, that is.) Having other people there can be really distracting and stressful if it's not the right choice for you. Hope you can find peace about what to do.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:13 PM   #13
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller

My Mood:

I think doulas are worth having there, but I dunno about that kind of money and I say that with all honesty bcause I AM a birth doula myself

I'm sorry but $700+ is OUTRAGEOUS to charge IMHO.

I have never made more than $100.00 per birth and even when I considered going into private work (after certification), only had in mind to ask a max of $250.00

I mean, on average births last approx 8 hours or (less) so then there is paper work, but that would average over $50.00/ hour!!
Anyway, I say if you have a knowledgeable friend who can do it, go that route or just read up yourself Thats what I did and thats what led me to get my training a few years ago...

now I am my own doula and a fiesty one at that
beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #14
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think, as a doula, that all moms deserve one at their birth. A doula is there for the mom and can be the support that maybe the DH can't. And the doula can also support the DH because he's having a baby too, not in the same way obviously, but he needs support too.

Most doulas charge per experience. I do, even though I'm not certified, it takes a lot of time and effort to be there and I factor in the cost of my childcare too. Anyway, $400 is a steal if you can get a doula for that amount.

Also, check out

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #15
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Also, my DS1 was born 9/29/04 too.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:41 PM   #16
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oops, double post...

Old 08-30-2007, 03:52 PM   #17
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wink Re: Is a doula worth the $$?

Didn't read all pp ...

My doula was $300 bucks!

It was the BEST money I ever spent on anything. I had her with me through 2 deliveries. And the second time I had to practically hold her down and MAKE her take payment. I would say it was worth way more, but for me, I'm just glad she didn't charge more. (On a side note, I try to keep in touch w/her. Is that weird? Do they normally help deliver and run? I've been keeping in touch with my Doula since birth of DS2 four years ago ...)

When I researched rates for DS2, the rate range was anywhere from a couple hundred to around a thousand bucks for a doula. It *IS* worth it, but I realize there are also financial considerations. Maybe a doula in your area would take payments? Or, check to see if there is anyone working on their certification who would give you a deal.

GOOD LUCK!
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:03 PM   #18
Sunrise
Registered Users
seller

Absolutely worth the money. And consider that statistically the presence of a doula actually lowers your chances of an emergency c-section - in which case she can actually save you money (not like you'd ever know because it would be a big "might have been", but still.)

My doula was awesome. My husband was wonderful but he didn't know what to do really...in spite of all our reading and preparing. So she was able not only to help me but keep him calm and helpful as well because she was able to reassure him that everything that was happening to me was normal.

They are worth their weight in gold.
Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:30 PM   #19
tmfletch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree... A doula is definitely worth it. She is there for you and only you- not baby, hospital staff, etc. I think I paid $250-300 for her. She was also new and not yet certified so we got a discount for that and the fact that she was our HypnoBabies instructor.

Do you mind my asking where you live for doulas to charge $900-1,000? That seems outrageous to me. (sorry if you are a doula and charge that much... )
tmfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:00 PM   #20
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The cost of a doula depends on the area. I know around here, doulas charge twice as much as I do, I only charge less because I'm not yet certified.