Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2007, 01:38 PM   #11
b'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Trivisol?

I have to disagree with the other posters. The problem is that nowadays with our thinning ozone, we are supposed to lather on the sunscreen, or keep our children out of the sun (ie. in the shade). Therefore, our babies don't necessarily make the Vitamin D they need. Vitamin D is NOT found in our breastmilk. It depends on where you live. I live in Canada, and Vit D is definately recommended, especially in the winter. Maybe its not required as you move more south, so I'd take the advice of your pediatrician. I'd hardly call 4yrs of pre-med, 4yrs of med school, and 5yrs of pediatric residency "uneducated".

However, Tri-Vi-Sol contains more than Vitamin D-it also has Vitamins A and C, which are not needed. You can get a Vit D only product called: Di-Vi-Sol.

Advertisement

b'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:47 PM   #12
semicrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b'smom View Post
I'd take the advice of your pediatrician. I'd hardly call 4yrs of pre-med, 4yrs of med school, and 5yrs of pediatric residency "uneducated".
semicrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #13
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmom View Post
Our pediatrician said that all BF babes should take trivisol drops every day since they don't get enough vit D. Is there another way to increase vit D without the drops? My DD is 2 mos so she is not taking solids yet
Anyone else hear of this?
Well bf babies should take it because of the iron also, but if they're ff- they really don't need it until 1 year because of all the vits in formula.
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #14
samsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas for the links! They are very helpful for research purposes.

I adore my pediatrician and would never claim that she is uneducated or ignorant. She's very comfortable with my questions regarding vaccines and vitamins etc, and is not defensive about it at all. I do know the AAP has recommendations that I don't always feel comfortable with, and I am in the medical profession myself...soo....I always like to check before diving in. The thing that actually made me think twice about the drops was that they have artificial coloring in them. Why there is a need to dye something a baby takes is beyond me. It's not like they wont take it if it's not pretty!

It looks like if we get enough sun exposure and I am eating well that we should be fine without the trivisol.