Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2007, 01:04 PM   #11
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: This makes me not want a doula/midwife...

I just had this discussion w/ dh the other night. I used to want to be a MW but now that MWs are more in hospitals now they're more like drs and less about natural methods and more about hospital methods! I've seen some doulas that were all about them and their goal, not the mother's, which really defeats the whole purpose of being there.
Some people just aren't meant to be in the field of childbirthing, and some are... if we can more of the good ones and weed out more of the bad ones we might get back on an upswing!

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 01:04 PM   #12
peanutsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, it was. I have never seen anything like that on there!
Old 08-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #13
Merolu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's really important to choose a midwife/doula that you feel can be the right fit for you, interviewing is essential - but I've only known one who would even get close to that! Almost every persona I've met in searching for a midwife and doula were kind, gentle and generally soft spoken and patient - some had quirky humor, others were motherly - but I think in general the job description call for patience and kindness. Sounds like someone I would order out of my house.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:27 PM   #14
mom24girls
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
I just had this discussion w/ dh the other night. I used to want to be a MW but now that MWs are more in hospitals now they're more like drs and less about natural methods and more about hospital methods! I've seen some doulas that were all about them and their goal, not the mother's, which really defeats the whole purpose of being there.
Some people just aren't meant to be in the field of childbirthing, and some are... if we can more of the good ones and weed out more of the bad ones we might get back on an upswing!
Those are the CNMs who are licensed by the state (the ones in the hospitals). All state laws are different regarding midwifery, but here in Colorado, you cannot be a CNM and do homebirths (but you can run a birth center). You have to be a direct entry midwife, without a nursing license, etc. in order to do homebirths. DEMs are under different licensing here. Like I said, all states are different, but that is why you see a lot of the "midwives" doing hospital work, because if they are a licensed medical worker, they have too. They are products of the medical schools.

Ugh! about the mw on the show. I'm guessing it's the show that is about a birth center in FL? Those midwives are ok, but I've seen somethings that makes me go . I quit watching it (well, all those shows cuz they make me mad!).

I've had both a CNM care birth in the hospital, and a DEM birth at home. My CNM panicked at a couple of things, but never yelled at me She was also way clinical in her approach (she had been a l&d nurse prior to midwife). My hb midwife was calm, cool, collected. It was an awesome experience!

If you have a real passion for childbirth, please don't let these kinds of things discourage you. A good doula or midwife is an invaluable tool to a lot of moms, regardless of where they give birth. I so appreciated my doula and miwives when I was in labor. I got care that I had never, never received while with medical professionals in the hospital. Go for it!!!!
mom24girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #15
MamaJoyful
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Midwives can vary greatly! Just because one is more hospital like, doesn't mean another will be, even if she is a CNM. But I think it's becoming harder to find a midwife who will do a hospital birth who is more "natural." Those midwives tend to get sick of the hospital scene and start doing home birth from what I have seen. (And I don't know a ton about it.)

But when I went and saw a clinic midwife who delivered at a hospital, it wasn't much different from seeing an OB. However, having a homebirth with a midwife was Totally different from the other experiences.

But even at that, some homebirth midwives are "liscenced" and do more of the routine "office visit" stuff, whereas some are almost UC-like in their laid-back approach. (At least in my state, that is.) So, go open minded, and definately consider a midwife. They can be wonderful!
Old 08-30-2007, 05:30 PM   #16
alexandme
Registered Users

I think the fact that you saw it on "one of those baby shows" says it all right there.

And BTW, we currently are seeing an independant CNM who is not at all a "med"wife. It really depends on the individual. Most CNM who practice right with an OB group in the same office probably fall into that catagory but some areas/towns have independant ones who deliver at the hospital but are much more along the lines of a lay midwife.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:31 PM   #17
alexandme
Registered Users

I think the fact that you saw it on "one of those baby shows" says it all right there.

And BTW, we currently are seeing an independant CNM who is not at all a "med"wife. It really depends on the individual. Most CNM who practice right with an OB group in the same office probably fall into that catagory but some areas/towns have independant ones who deliver at the hospital but are much more along the lines of a lay midwife.
"Birth Centers" actually can be the same way. Some of them are hospital affiliated which basically means hospital run and are prone to some of the same issues/protocols.