Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
Pea_inthepod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Brestfeeding help!!! New baby!!

OK....this is my first time breastfeeding, so this is all new to me.

My daughter, Abby, is 6 days old and it takes anywhere from 10-30 mins at the breast just to get her to latch on and start drinking.

She will root around, latch for a second, sometimes suck just enough to get my nipple out, but then spit it out. She also spits out any milk that she got. Eventaully (like i said above...10-30min later) she FINALLY figures out that she needs to just suck a bit longer and she will be able to eat.

And...the only way that I finally DO get her to eat, and after giving her a bottle of bm for just a second (enough time for her to start the suck/swallow/breath pattern). I then take that away and right away put her to my breast. Then she will start eating. Its like I have to remind her HOW to breastfeed!

Sometimes, she just sits there and throws a HUGE fit. She will lay there, root around, latch on for 2 seconds and then let go and get mad.

Im not having some huge let down in her mouth either....at least I dont think I am. Im still at the point where I am always engorged so I have to express a little bit of milk before she can even latch on, so that helps with letdown not being soooo forceful.

So what am I doing wrong??? Is she just a lazy/finicky eater?????? I am sooooooo frustrated!!! I just started crying the other day because she would NOT eat. I want to breastfeed my daughter, i dont want to have to pump like I did with my son!!!!

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
Aimsley9
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Brestfeeding help!!! New baby!!

It does get better. It is a learning experience for both of you. I don't have a lot of advice other than to try to stay calm and patient. Also when my older dd had trouble latching on I used to put my pinky finger right next to my nipple. She would start to suck on that and I could then pull my finger back and that helped her to latch on.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
chasondreams
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i am no expert..
but just trying to offer some help b/c I know how frustrating it can be.

my lactation consultant told me not to offer the baby anything other than the breast ever until they have been nursing for a while and have figured out how to do it.
i believe nursing from the breast is harder for them..so they start prefering the bottle?? i dunno.

also a nipple shield really helped me the first couple of months..it helped pull the nipple out and made it easier for her to latch on.

hth mama! what a blessing to have a new baby girl!!

Last edited by chasondreams; 08-30-2007 at 09:32 PM. Reason: i meant nipple shield. not breast shield! sorry!
chasondreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

CONGRATS on your new baby! Shes a new nurser so it might take a few wks for her to learn exactly what to do. Express some milk and put it on her lips then rub her cheek w/your breast so that she turns toward it Just please DON'T give up momma, It gets easier. And be careful w/the bottle....sometimes it causes nipple confusion and makes the situation worse.

Also, make sure your nipple is sticking out (erect) when your trying to latch her on, if not then stimulate it a few min and get it to where its sticking out. I hope that helps. (of that doesnt help, you can invest in a nipple sheild)

www.kellymom.com
www.lalecheleague.com

those sites will help as well. KUDOS to you for nursing!

Last edited by CrunchyMama0607; 08-30-2007 at 08:11 PM.
CrunchyMama0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
mhr1406
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It takes awhile sometimes to get into a groove with nurisng. If you think she does better while the milk is flowing maybe try to pump a little to work upto the let down before you latch her on.

Oh and ditch the bottles if you can. It may confuse her and possibly work against you here since drinking from a bottle is very different from nurisng.

Hang in there mama
Old 08-30-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
monkeyspits
Registered Users

My Mood:

awww im sorry mama,

try this...she may not know just how to really get a good latch on just yet.
there are these latex nipple covers that are clear and very thin. you put them on over your nipple and there are holes that the milk will flow through. the way they work is that they extent the length of your nipple somewhat and give the baby something more to latch onto.
i had a hell of a time getting my son to latch on until i tried these. after a few days we were both feeling better about nursing and then we were more able to get into the swing of things and we didnt need the nipple covers anymore.

im sorry i dont know exactly what they are called, but i know if you google babies r'us they sell them. you just look for them under the nursing section.

good luck mama. and dont get discouraged...it will happen.
monkeyspits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:13 PM   #7
naturalbirthmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just want to send you big H U G S ! Don't give up!! Use your LLL as support and advice. Once you get over the initial hump it's cake!
Autumn ~~ Haley 12, Haven 10, Paisley 7, Sterling 5, Camden 3, Finley 1*the bathroom baby* and #7 due August 2015
I have amazing eyelashes! Wanna know how?? www.beautifullyblessedlashes.com
naturalbirthmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:13 PM   #8
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another thing...make sure shes on eye level with your breast Boppys or other nursing pillows (my breast friend, cuddle u) are good w/that too. If you cannot afford them new then get a good cheap one. (Cuddle U's are @ walmart in the stores)
Old 08-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm no expert, we just have the one little one.

First off, you're doing great sticking with it for hte first few days. I felt like crap and the extra stress of trying to learn breastfeeding is hard! Don't beat yourself up too much!

She might be like my little one who fusses if the letdown isn't soon enough. If she didn't get anything straight away she fussed. If you compress as soon as she sucks you might get some milk into her mouth to get her started, espcially if you're still engorged compression should be enough to get a bit out.

Is your breast too hard for her to latch on? I found when I was too engorged she would try to latch and try to suck but couldn't get a good latch because the breast was too hard. The best advice I had for this is to use your finger tips to press in around your nipple, back toward your chest and hold for a few seconds (maybe even 30) and repeat further out from your nipple. It was in Jack Newman's book and a technique from someone else. They talk about the extra intrastitial fluid and this is suppose to force some of it away from the nipple and it does seem to soften up. She might be able to latch on later because you slowly leak milk and the breast softens.

Is she really hungry by the time you feed her? Could you start feeding her before she feels she is starving? She might be a little more patient, or might not
Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #10
Synchro246
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What position are you holding her in?

How often are you offering the breast and what signs of hunger are promting you to offer her the breast?

Six days old is young. Every nursing pair takes a little time to get used to eachother. Definitly stick with it.

In liu of a bottle I wonder if a soothie type paci might work instead. I only say this because some babies get used to how easy milk comes out of a bottle and they get frustrated when the breast isn't as easy. A soothie might get her sucking and working then switch. Really though my guess is that no tools of any kind are needed. My guess is trying out various positions & offering the breast well before she's hungry (like even just letting her hang out at your bare breast not expecting her to nurse, just letting her BE) might be all that's needed for her to find her nursing groove.

I agree about expressing a few drops to tantalize her and maybe gently squeeze your breast until she's sucking sufficiently.

Also, don't judge your let down. Not everyone experiences it the same and it's probably fine.

Sorry for the novel

ETA-- I hope you got your VBAC