Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #11
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Brestfeeding help!!! New baby!!

Yeah, start nursing her @ the first sign of hunger (sucking on hands, rooting around, licking lips) Those 1st two weeks are the hardest but you can do it

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #12
daisiesandmore
Registered Users
seller

Your post takes me back ten months ago...breastfeeding for the first time and desperately wanting it to be a beautiful, bonding experience. It is...but it can take a lot of work & patience up front. Like a pp said, it is a learning experience for both of you. I would say try and find a mama who has bf recently to help you, even show you if you aren't wierded out by that. Support for you is huge right now. You can do it...it is a lot of hard work up front, but hang in there...there is nothing like those milky grins, and them falling asleep at the breast. It is so worth the up front work. Hugs from Ohio!
daisiesandmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #13
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found that I had to feed Munchkin *before* she got frantic, also, it helped to have a bit of lanisoh on me to help her get a better seal. finally, cupping my breast helped her not have to keep it all in her mouth while trying to suck at the same time. HTH.
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:25 PM   #14
guysmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyspits View Post
awww im sorry mama,

try this...she may not know just how to really get a good latch on just yet.
there are these latex nipple covers that are clear and very thin. you put them on over your nipple and there are holes that the milk will flow through. the way they work is that they extent the length of your nipple somewhat and give the baby something more to latch onto.
i had a hell of a time getting my son to latch on until i tried these. after a few days we were both feeling better about nursing and then we were more able to get into the swing of things and we didnt need the nipple covers anymore.

im sorry i dont know exactly what they are called, but i know if you google babies r'us they sell them. you just look for them under the nursing section.

good luck mama. and dont get discouraged...it will happen.

These are called nipple shields and they can help sometimes. I had to use them as I had trouble at first too.

First of all try to relax, the more stressed you are the more stressed she will be.

Second go to www.lalecheleague.org and find a leader in your area. They will come to you for free and make sure that you are doing everything right. She will be nice, encouraging, helpful and can give you what may be a much needed hug.

Don't give up!! Breastfeeding is a learning process for BOTH of you. Call a leader, get information and encouragement and keep up the good work! Congrats!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 09:08 PM   #15
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi mama...sorry you are having problems. Hang in there..it will get better! When you latch her on, are you sure that her tongue is under your nipple and not on top? I've worked with lots of BF moms/babies and what you describe sounds like how a baby acts when his tongue is on top of the nipple. They latch on, suck a couple times, then come back off usually crying and mad. If she's crying when you are trying to latch her on, there's a good chance that's what's happening. Good luck! : )
Old 08-30-2007, 10:14 PM   #16
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetb View Post
The best advice I had for this is to use your finger tips to press in around your nipple, back toward your chest and hold for a few seconds (maybe even 30) and repeat further out from your nipple. It was in Jack Newman's book and a technique from someone else. They talk about the extra intrastitial fluid and this is suppose to force some of it away from the nipple and it does seem to soften up.
This is what helps Margo latch - I have to do it almost every time, but it works like a charm to get the nipple out where she can latch correctly. Good luck, mama! You can do it!

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:47 PM   #17
imamama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had to use a nipple shield with two of my three, and it really helped with latching. You can also get them at Target. Express a little milk and fill the shield so there's an instant gratification. I had a periodontal syringe given to me by a lactation consultant and it worked great to fill the shield. I really encourage you to get an LC working with you. It made so much difference for me! I had three babies and all three had rough starts with different problems, and LCs got them nursing successfully in every case. All the best to you - hang in there!
imamama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:05 PM   #18
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Sarah, you have great advice here!
First, ditch the bottle. Try a paci to try and get her sucking if needed.
Also, try offering more often. When Bell was bitty, I nursed her every 1 1/2- 2 1/2 hours, and it really helped us get in the groove. Hugs!
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:13 PM   #19
Emily Whited
Registered Users
seller

I would highly suggest finding a local La Leche League and contacting the leader, these are great people and will watch you and tell you just what the problem is. I hope you get it figured out.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:07 AM   #20
mommytimes2
Registered Users

My Mood:

After having trouble with my son BFing, my daughter did great. Besides seeing a LC, I would tell you to try to keep your anxiety/stress down/frustration as low as possible. It definitely impacted my supply with my son even though I was still able to BF him (not exclusively) until 9 months. Just remember that you are doing what's best for your baby-Kudos to you!
mommytimes2 is offline   Reply With Quote