Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-31-2007, 07:02 AM   #21
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Brestfeeding help!!! New baby!!

For a fast latch on a new born, this is what I've done (per hospital lactation consultant)

Hold the baby in a cross cradle - ie. you are going to put her on your left breast, but are holding on to her head with your right hand and supporting her weight across your belly with a pillow and your right fore arm. Hold the babies head below her ears at the back.

Hold your left nipple with your left hand and pinch behind the pink areaola to compress it a bit. You want to make it small enough to fit into the baby's tiny mouth.

Using your right hand/babies head, pull the baby towards your left breast with the nipple angled towards the roof of her mouth. Make sure her mouth is wide open (brush her cheek a few times with your nipple tills he roots). Quickly put your whole areaola in her mouth and she should clamp down and latch. Some babies need to feel the nipple at the roof of their mouths before they clamp down.

She should latch on immediately this way. If she doesn't or the nipple pops out, try again and again till it works. After latching on, let down should occur within a few minutes.

If this doesn't help, find a lactation consultant asap.

Mamma to 4
tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:16 AM   #22
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Brestfeeding help!!! New baby!!

If you contact your local
I will also wake up my LLL leader who is a member of diaper swappers and have her post.

You are doing great dont give up, and go to the site find a local leader and she should be able to meet you someplace or come over and help.
There are also meeting once a month that you can attend.
jennywymore is offline   Reply With Quote