Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2007, 10:17 AM   #11
smapple
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Has anyone Labored Naturally through pitocin?

I had a 19 hour labor with pitocin and had my water broken and managed without an epidural. I did have a narcotic towards the end, but honestly it only helped for about 15 minutes... but I made it through.

Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007, 10:19 AM   #12
BoysMama
Registered Users

My Mood:

OK I have had pitocin all three times as I do not go into labor on my own. I have never done it completely nautral though I have never had an epidural.(they scare me) With my first they gave my staydol (sp?) I hated it. It stopped my labor for over an hour and I was never able to get into a regular pattern again. It also made me VERY sleepy, as in I couldn't open my eyes and I literally had to force them open when DS was born. With #2 and #3 I had nubain, definatly my drug of choice. I only had 1 dose with #2 and I did have 2 doses with #3 but that was because of discouragement more than anything, after 3 hours of labor I hadn't dialated at all. Of course then I went from a 4 to delivery in 1 hr. so I would have been ok without the 2nd dose.
I would try natural but if you can't do it try an option like nubain instead of an epidural.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:23 AM   #13
iKim
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did, it hurts but it was sooooo worth not taking pain meds.....
Old 08-31-2007, 10:54 AM   #14
icanonlyimagine
Theres a Scent for that!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

my friend Krystal did... I think she had pit with her last (she has 3) and she labored naturally and delievered naturally with the last one... I think she had an epi with her first
Old 08-31-2007, 11:01 AM   #15
h&jsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was induced with DS2 and labored naturally. I didn't find the contractions to be that much worse than my first labor. I mentally prepared myself for the fact that the contractions would be worse before I went in, so that may have had something to do with it. I also used techniques from Bradley and hypnobirthing which helped out immensely. I didn't start having terrible pain until transition, but from the time I told my DH that I couldn't take it anymore until the time that the baby was born was only about 30-45 minutes. It was so well worth not using pain relief, I felt like I was able to work with my body instead of against it. I can't say enough good things about that birth experience. Just go in with a positive attitude and I'm sure you'll do just fine! Good luck!

ETA: There were different positions that I was able to use, albeit somewhat modified to allow for the monitoring equipment and that helped a lot. I was also able to get up to use the bathroom as long as DH came with, so I would try to get up every 45 minutes or so to use the bathroom and would stay up until they told me they needed to put the monitor back on. The nursing staff will probably try to work with you as best as they can, so try not to stress about that too much!

Last edited by h&jsmom; 08-31-2007 at 11:12 AM. Reason: more info
h&jsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:50 AM   #16
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I did! I had a long labor (22 hours) and I did it pain med free. I was induced for medical reasons. I figure the next one will be a breeze after that.

I think the reason that I managed to do it was that I'd heard so many horror stories about labor, and I kept thinking it was going to get SO much worse. I told myself if it got to be unbearable, I'd think about the pain meds. And it really didn't get difficult until the very end, and then well, I was having a baby so it was too late LOL. You can do it! After what I expected, labor wasn't really that bad at all.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:02 PM   #17
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I labored naturally with pitocin at 41 weeks, for 8 hours. I went from 1 cm to 3 cm in those 8 hours, and I was in agonizing pain. I cried, I bit the bed rail, I wanted to give up. They finally broke down after I begged after every contraction. After getting the epidural, I was fully dlated within another 8 hours.

Hopefully, you have a very, very different experience, but I don't want you to feel like you fail by getting an epidural if the pain is too much. I've also had a mostly natural birth (1/4 shot of nubain, AROM) so I do know the difference. I couldn't even breathe during the pitocin ontractions.

So, my point is, go for it, but don't feel bad if you need an epidural.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:05 PM   #18
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We didn't get to the pitocin part. They decided to start an induction (10 days over and a bit of a worry with the NST and BPP). They used cervadel (sorry, can't remember the spelling) a little insert with prostoglandin gel up at your cervix to ripen your cervix the night before an induction. For some this starts things and for me it did! When it started, oh, boy. They kept me for two hours to monitor baby and make sure the heart rate was okay and then I went home.

So, if they are thinking of inducing, the methods for ripening the cervix can kick start labour. Apparently the prostoglandins more so than the foley cathetar if you have an option.

From there I did it natural, until baby wouldn't move and more and then I had more fun and interventions after 6 hours of pushing, but that is something completely different!
Old 08-31-2007, 12:06 PM   #19
blessed with boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did...it was the worst pain I have ever experienced. It can be done.......but it "aint" fun. See if the Dr. will try breaking your water and waiting to see if your body starts labor on it own.

Last edited by blessed with boys; 08-31-2007 at 12:07 PM.
blessed with boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:19 PM   #20
karlatta
Registered Users

I was induced with Cytotec/Pitocin. I had contractions every 3 minutes while on the Cytotec, for about 12 hours. I then started Pitocin and had contractions every 1.5 minutes for another 12 hours.

My water broke at that point (I was dilated to a 2) and I asked for Stadol. Within two hours, I was dilated to a 10, so it was obvious that I was having strong, powerful contractions at that point. My daughter was born after 40 minutes of pushing.

I probably could have made it without the Stadol had I not already been awake with contractions for 24 hours. (I'd actually been awake for around 42 hours by the time my water broke, but some of that was obviously before the contractions started.) I was just too tired to give it a shot.
karlatta is offline   Reply With Quote