Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2007, 06:41 PM   #21
alexandme
Registered Users

Re: anyone get a flu shot while pregnant?

I worked in a hospital while pregnant with my son and my doctor said NOT to get the flu shot.
This spring my DH actually got Influenza while I was pregnant and our doctor told us to go and get some Oscillococcinum and for my son who was 2.5 years at the time and myself to start taking it a couple times a day along with very good handwashing.
DH was in bed sick for 5 days at home with us and neither my son or I ever got it.

Just for general informational purposes:
The "flu" shot is only for Influenza, which is a specific virus that causes upper respiratory infection. The slang term "flu" is tossed around for many other viral infections that have nothing to do at all with Influenza or the vaccination. The real thing causes high fever, chills, congestion, coughing, severe body aches and severe fatigue.
There are many strains of Influenza and every year the "flu shot" is able to vaccinate against approx 6-7 of these strains. The strains are chosen based on Influenza activity in Asia and other hot spots the year before. Usually at least one other strain hits the US in a given flu season so some people who received the "flu shot" get Influenza that way. Also those who get the "flu shot" right when it starts to be offered in the fall and early winter generally do not retain immunity all the way thru the entire "flu" season and come late Feb into March are just as susceptable as those who did not get the shot at all.

Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007, 07:58 PM   #22
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I get a flu shot every year, as does DH and DD. DH works in a cancer hospital and it's required by his job (they pay for it even). I get the flu shot every year because I have asthma, and because I'm asthmatic DD gets it too (pd for by healthcare because of my asthma). I got the flu in 1998 and ended up in the hospital, it was the worst illness I have ever had in my life.

Back to the question though, I was 8.5 mos pregnant when I got the flu shot last year.

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:00 PM   #23
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i really really appreciate the nice opinions i got! I just wanted to make sure i was more informed before i talked to my doc about it, ya know?

when i was sick while first pregnant, my temp was 102 for quite some time... it was NOT fun... we turned the air wayyyy down and dh would just get close enough to me to stay warm, lol.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:22 PM   #24
ustasmom
Registered Users
seller

Pediatric doses don't have thimerasol. 2 pedi doses=1 adult dose

You can't take Tamiflu when pregnant. We had the flu once and the Tamiflu was a necessity.
ustasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:34 PM   #25
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeps it's recommended- especially if you'll deliver during high flu season. If you get it 3rd trimester your baby will get your immunity for 3 mos after they're born without having to get a shot! Can't beat that!
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:41 PM   #26
MamaL
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got it this time around. Never had a problem. And never got the flu (thank god!)

I did get the flu with my pregnancy with my son and I lost 12 lbs in one week. Not good.
MamaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:09 AM   #27
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

Most of them say on the package 'not yet tested on pregnant women' or 'do not administer to pregnant women' - at least the ones I've seen.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:28 AM   #28
Anabella'sMama
Banned

My dh is a teacher and asthmatic so he get's one every year. I myself am rather healthy and have never gotten one before (my mom is anti-vax so crunchy in her day and she didn't know it lol!) but I had dd in Jan and we had a really bad flu going around locally so I actually got it right after birth. I was (still am) nursing and my mw said it would go into my milk so dd would get some of it but it was better than getting the really bad flu that was going around. I was nervous and it didn't help that a couple weeks before a newborn baby died from the same flu that was going around so I opted for it! I don't think I'm going to get it this year though!
Anabella'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:31 AM   #29
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes I did with my last 2 kids b/c I was in my 3rd trimester during heavy flu season (Oct/Nov/Dec) and had several small children. I almost died from heart failure after my 3rd baby and the Cardiologist thinks it was contracted from a simple virus (like the flu) that attacked the fluid surrounding my heart. I was hospitalized with the flu the day before my EDD and they said at that point my body would have been at a weakened state supporting myself & a 9lb baby beyond my EDD while sick. I went 3 more days and delivered, then 10 days later got really sick and almost died. I was hospitalized for another week battling the illness but finally came home!
To me it's not worth the very REAL risk I've experienced in the past. I've never had any negative side effects from my flu shot, my children haven't either.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #30
tmfletch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did with DD- I don't know why I did to tell you quite frankly. I guess I was kind of "scared" into it. DD is fine- I don't think it affected her in any way (that I can tell anyway). I won't be doing it with the pregnancy...
tmfletch is offline   Reply With Quote