Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
nadjarea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
More about Dave Ramsey and Debt

The Barefoot Moms Podcast just uploaded a great show about keeping your family fiscally fit.

I would like to know how many of you have used Dave's principles and changed your life or what you do to stay fiscally fit!

http://www.archive.org/download/TheB...011/BFM011.mp3

and is also available in iTunes

Thanks for listening! Comments, feedback, and ideas are always welcome!

Advertisement

Old 09-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:
Re: More about Dave Ramsey and Debt

I haven't listened to it just yet (will when I get some time later this evening) but I started the Dave Ramsey Total Money Make Over last month and I'm already seeing a huge difference.

The biggest thing for me to realize was that his saying of "Solid financial management is 80% behavior, 20% head game." and he's SO right. Once we break ourselves of thinking "Hey, I NEED that!" when we really don't, we're already starting to win the battle.

I like the fact that his plan makes sense. I can actually understand where my money is going and why. I can see the end product and while it'll be painful at first to get us back on our feet, we really are doing a much better job at staying within a very reasonable budget.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
letiesmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

We finished the Dave Ramsey series through our church about four months ago. Let me just say that being newlyweds this program is a life saver. I love to spend money. Even small amounts makes me so happy. The thought of a budget before this made me feel like dh thought I was two. Now we actually have a savings account with more than the mandatory $5 in it. I highly recommend the classes to anyone. Using the envelope system now makes me so proud when I have something left at the end of our two weeks. We even were prepared for some emergency medical things that came up.
letiesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
Amberjoe_1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I truly wish I knew about the whole Dave Ramsey deal when we got married. DH got a huge amount from worker's comp and after a year that was totally spent and we were in debt..little cards for different places..I think we had 3 or 4 cards from like circuit city, furniture store, etc. Now I look back and I'm like man! we could have put the money in at least savings..or some kind of money market account. Needless to say..we did the debt snowball and we're out of all debt except a few hundred bucks from DS's birth and our house. We are actually saving up our emergency fund, paid cash for our vacation to Colorado, and we plan to pay cash for our dream car.

Also I wanted to put in that when I was dealing with our checkbook before I would always seem to go in the negative or totally miscalculate..there would always be a negative number before payday. Now I have a budget and I love it! I have each week's paycheck planned out before it gets here and I know exactly how much money I have for groceries this week and when each bill gets paid..it's a wonderful feeling, know bills are paid and I don't feel guilty at the grocery store for buying groceries. Our growing savings is also a wonderful feeling. I used to cry because of the horrible way I handled our money..now it's like I don't even have to think about it..because it's already done! How wonderul! Thanks Dave!

See what's new @ Monster Fluff Studio's Blog
Amberjoe_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:20 AM   #5
nadjarea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

awesome mamas! Isn't it amazing what you can do when you make your money work for you?!
Old 09-03-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
wimama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just saw this post.

My husband and I just started Daver Ramsey's Home FPU course (Financial Peace University). I thought the course would be more painful, like our previous efforts to live on a budget. My husband and I are on week four of the program. This month will be our first month living on our financial plan (budget). But instead of dreading it I am excited to be gaining greater control of our finances.

I find Dave Ramseys tapes and radio show easy to listen to. And his plan has been easy to follow and makes sense to me.

I just posted on the envelope budget thread about Dave Ramsey enelope budgeting.

http://diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217742

I think it is great there are so many Dave Ramsey fans here!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #7
talitha
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm so excited! I am going to his conference here in Cinci on September 13 with our small group from church. I would really like to join the classes too, but am concerned about child care.

My sister and I just made pretty envelopes today with construction paper and decorations. I went to the ATM and filled the envelopes with the money, and when it's gone, it's gone. I am really looking forward to see how this works! We both spend way too much money on really stupid little stuff.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:53 PM   #8
DivineNature
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've been using many of DR's practices and doing the baby steps since January. We've got our $1000 EF and started a debt snowball. We plan to pay off the minivan next month (many months early)!

We have a huge amount we owe the hospital for our baby born in May. We were planning a birth center birth but had to go to the hospital for breech delivery (natural, vag!!!). Anyway, our ins has denied our claim so it's all on us. Yuck! Pre DR this would have ruined us. I'm so grateful we started getting things in order before! So, it shouldn't be too bad, but will take a few months to get back on track. Luckily we were planning to pay the mw out of our HSA anyway, but we owe about $3-4000 more than anticipated.

So to make a long story even longer. Reading TMMO helped crystalize some of my financial thinking. I never thought I was trying to "keep up with the Joneses" until reading that book. Now I figure I can be happy staying in this modest home and not going "bigger and better."
You haven't joined SWAGBUCKS yet? JOIN NOW & earn prizes!
DivineNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
4xMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like his thinking, even though we have very little debt...

I'm selling one of his books on FSOT if anyone wants it!!! (shameless plug, trying to raise some spending $$$ for the American Idol concert!)

read Thrifty Thoughts and Common Cents!
4xMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #10
bluechicken
Registered Users

My Mood:

When we first got married, it took us a few months before we were ready to start doing what we called the "Aggressive Debt Reduction Plan" or ADRP. (It made it much more bearable for us to give it a name that we could reference to when we were out and about. Sometimes it was used as a code word, "DH, remember the ADRP? We should wait and think about this purchase till tomorrow at least.") This several years ago, before I knew who DR was. But the idea was bascially the same and the Debt Snowball; except we listed them by interest rates, from highest to lowest, and began paying on the highest interest rated one first. There were some other details we put in place, which as I'm finding out are very similar to what DR says. My oh my did it work. Student loans and the car loan seemed to melt like butter . . . well till the end when I felt like the light at the end of the tunnel that I had been looking at forever wasn't moving; I was tired of looking at it and wanted it to be here. It was hard to tell family, "No we can't fly up to see you till the next major holiday, because it costs too much. No we can't drive up because it is a 21 hour drive and we don't have the vacation time." We got to see our parents two or three times a year, and then we had to split that between two familes on each trip. That was probably the hardest. But, those debts are GONE!! Since we have moved closer we can visit about once a month if we wanted to . . . okay we have lately. ::blushes:: We are now working on our house, which will also be done soon since we downsized our mortgage when we got job transfered.

We also kept a running tab on Excel and would create graphs (a line chart) to see where we had started and where we were. Actually, I made one by hand and put it over the computer. ($ on the up and down/y axiz, and months on the horizontal/x axis) It was so cool to see the drops month by month, and the drops kept getting bigger as we went and got a loan paid off. (I'm a visual person, so this was great for me.)

For those just starting or in the middle of it, keep it up. You can do this!! It is soooo worth it in the end to know that you are finally able to spend your money how you want it, not how the bills dictate. To know that you can finally start putting it away to get a larger cushion to fall on when times get tough.

Last edited by bluechicken; 09-06-2007 at 09:36 PM.
bluechicken is offline   Reply With Quote