Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2007, 10:46 PM   #11
tmfletch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Doula, midwives and Ob's?

I agree that midwives usually spend more time and seem to be more "personal". I had a DOC deliver my DD and she was great. But while in California I typically saw a midwife for my general womens health needs and preferred it that way.

I also had a doula during the birth of my daughter and thought it was wonderful to have someone there to see to "my needs" and comfort. Insurance typically doesn't cover a doula.

Advertisement

tmfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:46 PM   #12
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacke View Post
Whats the difference between a "birthing" center and a hopsital? Ive always gone to the hospital, and changed drs so i could go to a different one this time (bad experiences at the other hospital). Can i still have an epi at a birth center? Im not hot on my dr, im considering changing, but im not really clear about midwives... Are you say they are, or arent drs? IM so confused!

Wow mama, thats a nice preggo belly! Im too shy to post mine!
a birthing center is a place that just delivers babies. the birthing center i go to is a private place, there is a hospital near by but its a block or so down, they are not connected in any way.
I had my ds at a hospital and will never do a hospital birth again, i had my dd at this same birthing center i'm going to have my baby at and the whole setting/privacy and how things are run FOR you are soo different and so much more relaxed. yes, you can still have an epi at a birthing center, you can have a c/s, anything you need. MW are not dr's but are trained to deliver babies, they just can not do c/s.

Thanks, i just took my belly pics yesterday
don't be shy, go post yours up in the september belly thread, i stickied it up in here
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:51 PM   #13
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandme View Post
You could not have an epidural without being transferred as far as I know because for an epidural there must be an anethesiologist on staff and a birth center wouldn't have that.
this is not correct, the birthing center i go to has an awesome anestesiologist on site
since the BC i go to is private, all the staff are there and available, they give epi's, spinal blocks for c/s deliveries, its really nice!
I love the homey feeling this place has, everything is private and its all about the mother and baby
Old 09-02-2007, 01:09 AM   #14
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
this is not correct, the birthing center i go to has an awesome anestesiologist on site
since the BC i go to is private, all the staff are there and available, they give epi's, spinal blocks for c/s deliveries, its really nice!
I love the homey feeling this place has, everything is private and its all about the mother and baby
I think this goes back to the definition of birth center. My understanding is that a birth center is a freestanding structure (i.e. not attached to a hospital) that is run by midwives. Midwives cannot administer epidurals or spinals or perform c/sections. You would have to be transferred to a hospital if a c/sec was necessary. The birthing center I delivered at could only do normal, low risk, vag deliveries. They could do some stuff... IVs and antibiotics for GBS, IV narcotics for pain, baby resucitation, pitocin after delivery for bleeding... but they could not do inductions or epidurals, etc.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:53 AM   #15
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I had an OB/GYN for my DS and DD--- nothing too exciting. Its a doctor who went to school who thinks he or she knows alot about babies and your insurance usually covers them. I had 2 c/s as well, so nothing extra special.

Midwive, i have never had i cant tell ya anything.

this time i have a OB and a Doula. I found the Doula through I-CAN and she is giving me a discounted rate- some will do that OR you can find a Doula in training who needs to attend so many births and they will do yours for FREE. I am planning a labor at home as long as possible, go to hospital and hope to have a VBA2C Birth.
Birdof1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:32 AM   #16
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

I just had my DD two weeks ago at a birthing center, with a midwife and a doula. Having midwife care is very different from traditional OB care. I had a CNM and still got all the prenatal treatment I would have gotten with an OB such as gestational diabetes testing, urine screening, etc. but my midwife took much more time for each appointment to really build a rapport, answer any questions I had, find out what was going on and how I was feeling. It was like she was looking at the whole picture of what was going on in my life and how it affected my pregnancy, rather than the traditional OB just asking about "symptoms," if that makes sense. I chose a birthing center that had all the medical things a hospital does, such as anesthesiologist and OR for cesareans, but the main difference was that they didn't try to rush my birth process or give me pitocin or suggest a cesarean. They were very supportive of my plan for a natural birth, and they had facilities to help with natural pain relief and labor, such as birthing balls, spa tubs, and squat bars. I hired a doula not really knowing what she would do for me, but that she was supposed to help me while I was in labor. Let me tell you, it was the BEST money I have ever spent. A good doula (and mine was fantastic) knows all kinds of natural pain relieving techniques such as massage and acupressure points that naturally releave pain (and they SO work....I had contractions where she applied acupressure only halfway through and there was a definite difference), and she can suggest positions to help move labor along. I complained of back pain about halfway through and she suggested I get in the tub and crouch on all fours while she sprayed warm water on my lower back. Aaah, relief! And then near the end I had just a little bit more cervix to efface, she suggested walking and circles with my hips to help efface more quickly, and she supported me while I was standing and had contractions. My husband LOVED the fact that all the pressure to help me wasn't on him, and that he and the doula could work together and also be there for me while the other one took breaks. Over all, I had the BEST birth experience because I chose midwife care and a wonderful doula.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:59 AM   #17
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Since there seems to be some debate over what a midwife can and can't do and a BC is and isn't I'll throw in my .

A midwife CAN'T themselves perform a cs or give an epidural. A bc can be whatever "whoever" runs it wants it to be. A bc owned/run by a mw will not do cs. A bc owned/run by a doc/hospital(regardless of rather it's attached to a hospital) can. IMO bs really is no more specific than "house". It can mean 500sq ft cottage, or 10,000 estate. It's just a name that can be anything.

MY midwife is a cnm, she owns her own bc. She doesn't do epi, cs, or so on. She also doesn't practice in a hospital or at an OB's office. She does see "higher" risk woman at the bc and does home births as well. Appointments last about 1 hour, and half the time she comes to my house.

I had the same OB for the first 4 kids. While I like him, I realized at some point seeing my mw it was (the OB) like a bad marriage that just never ended. We disagreed on everything and butted heads all the time. Even if you like & respect that person, it's not the ideal situation. I left, btw, because he wouldn't do a vbac.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:27 AM   #18
samsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had these same questions and changed from an OB to a midwive very late in my pregnancy. I also had a doula. And I researched hospital, home, and birthing center for delivery. So here's my

The bottom line to all of it is that you have to be comfortable with your team. Meet everyone, go to all of the potential sites, and then decide. A tip - if an ob, midwife or center will not meet with you to do an interview, they are not the team member you want!

There is an organization for doulas that has great info on their website. http://www.dona.org/mothers/index.php

Here is a good definition of a midwife http://www.americanpregnancy.org/lab.../midwives.html

babycenter does a good job of giving information on all of the options http://www.babycenter.com/childbirth...-and-preparing

I also found questions to ask all of the professionals on the babycenter site as well. I did actually use those questions when I interviewed people.

My midwives practice site has great info and links http://www.lcmidwives.com/

An OB is essentially a surgeon. Their training revolves around what can go wrong during birth whereas a midwife is trained to follow the course of natural birth.

Neither one can do an epidural - an anesthesiologist must be called in for that. That is something to consider when choosing the place you want to deliver. I delivered with midwives in a hospital and labored with a doula at home as well as in the hospital. My previous OB had told me that I would not see her until the baby was about to be born. My midwives were there from the minute I got to the hospital until the baby arrived. I had an OB on backup in case anything did not go according to plan. I felt like I had the best of all worlds. But again, that was me and you have to be really comfortable with your choices.

Hope this is helpful - Good luck in your research!
Old 09-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #19
Baby_Vol
Registered Users
seller

Like others said, all birthing centers are different. You'll have to ask wherever you are looking into. The one I am going to does not offer epidural and they can not do a c-section. They also only take low-risk births. They are independent, non-profit, and run by midwives.

I had an OB with my son, and it was fine. A traditional hospital birth with epidural and all. The nurses checked on me while in labor, but pretty much I was alone with my husband. The OB wasn't called in until I was crowning, and he left pretty much right after.

I have a midwife this time. I'm only 4 weeks along ...so we'll see how it goes. I chose a midwife for the reasons listed above. I've heard it is more personal. I'm excited about it!!

Last edited by Baby_Vol; 09-02-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Baby_Vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #20
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedbison View Post
I think this goes back to the definition of birth center. My understanding is that a birth center is a freestanding structure (i.e. not attached to a hospital) that is run by midwives. Midwives cannot administer epidurals or spinals or perform c/sections. You would have to be transferred to a hospital if a c/sec was necessary. The birthing center I delivered at could only do normal, low risk, vag deliveries. They could do some stuff... IVs and antibiotics for GBS, IV narcotics for pain, baby resucitation, pitocin after delivery for bleeding... but they could not do inductions or epidurals, etc.
thats right, its a freestanding structure, the one i go to is private and has nothing to do with any hospital
this is not run by midwives although there are 6 available that work there with the dr's which now their are 3 dr's instead of the 2 it was for quite a long time. only the dr's perform the c/s and the anestesiologist is the only one who gives epi's and spinal blocks. i had dd here and will be having nathan here, both are by c/s. the hospital again is not needed, this is why i love this birthing center, i love how they do everything themselves and i don't need to worry about any hospital staff or strict rules/guidelines. this is why i am driving 1 hour away to have my baby, i can't do hospitals.
i suggest OP asking lots of questions, write down everything and take the paper with you so you don't forget anything, write down the answers they give you