Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Tips for AP do-it-yourself-ers!!!

I'm broke, but all that attachment-parenting stuff gets expensive really fast! I mean, I need a woven wrap for winter, a cooler one for summer, slings for quick trips; a co-sleeper is gonna break the bank, and then there's diaper covers....hmmm....

I have some tips here if you feel like doing a bit of sewing!

Co-sleeper: Look at the Humanity bed. You can make one like this by using a length of PVC pipe (pretty wide) available at a home improvement store (buy it and cut with a hand-saw or have someone do it for you!) that you can wrap in batting and sew a cover for it out of any old material you have that is slightly sturdy. For the cover, just make a tube and gather the ends. You can then take the whole thing and roll it in whatever material you like (but remember, it needs to be washable and you're going to sleep on it...might be worth it to invest in some organic stuff). Sew a tube to fit the "PVC pillow" you've just made, slip it in, drawstring the ends of the cover, and *be sure to leave a length of material hanging free to spread under you and baby while you sleep*.

Diaper covers: Wool is cheap--just find 100% wool sweaters at Goodwill, and cut out front and back, sew together sides, put elastic in waist. I have a great pattern for this, I just need to figure out how to post it.

Wet bags: Make one (or two, even better) out of a pillowcase. Cut two holes through the outer layer only at the top near the opening, about 1 inch apart. You can use a blanket-edge stitch with embroidery thread around the edges of the holes to make it look nice. Then fish a length of rope through it, and tie it around something to hang it up.

Slings: There are some great free websites that have patterns out there. Just do a little searching! The hotslings-type are easiest to make. By the way, the best place to buy alot of cheap cotton fabric is Goodwill! Buy bedsheets, then wash then in hot water!

Best wishes, mamas! PM me with questions.

Little handmade things for boys and girls at
jenheston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Tips for AP do-it-yourself-ers!!!

Good ideas momma!!! If only I were more talented w/sewing LOL

Btw, off topic here~your LO was born a day before mine (only different years) how cool! (My dd was born 4/12/06)
Ash~Mama to 3
CrunchyMama0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:13 AM   #3
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome

A different spin on a few things:

wetbag: can be made out of the body of a felted wool sweater(wash and dry on hot with a few towels to shrink the fibers down permanently making it bulletproof) and add a zipper or a drawstring top.

longies: wool sweaters from the consignment shop or home make great recycled longies. Cut off the arms, slice down the seam in the armpit to make that the middle seam from the belly buttom down through the crotch and up the back. Slice down until you have the correct rise and sew them together. Hem the top, adding elastic later. Lanolize!!!!!

wrap: Any stretchy cotton fabric in the amt of 5-6yards is perfect for a wrap. Just hem the edges.

mei tai: there are tons of free patterns on the internet. Peek around. It can be less than $10 to sew if you have basic skills. You just need to be able to put it together properly and sew a straight line.

wipes and diapers: again, tons of free patterns. fern and faery has some. has some. Not hard at all and you can use old t-shirts, jeans, bedsheets, etc. I cut up old recieving blankets for flannel diapers and wipes for our new addition. I have made a dozen fitteds to go with 2 dozen prefolds and several sets of recycled longies with our regular pul covers.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:24 AM   #4
Registered Users

Change pads make great material for wetbags too I have used them for the waterproof layer of mama pads too. Great thread!!
lisad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:45 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

Wet bags, reuse your walmart bags and bread bags.

jennsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #6

Great tips. I'll share how I did it. I found a bassinet at a yard sale for under $20 that also converted to a cosleeper and used that for sleeping. I also frequenlt yjust put dd in my bed and took out the pillows(not blankets though I'm too cold for that but dd was always on top of the covers) and then I stuffed the crack between the bed and the wall so she couldn't roll into it since she started rollin before 2 months. For a sling I found a NoJo at a yard sale for around $2 and got a snuggli for my shower. Both worked great, actually I prefered the snuggli and they are pretty cheap at walmart. Mine was a different brand from snuggli but same concept. I don't know how to sew anything so for me sewing wasn't an option. Jus tsome ideas for the nonsewing mamas. Defintly check out yard sales, goodwill, thrift stores, and ask around someone may have one to give you. I gave SIL mine when I was done w/ them and she wanted one.
krpdreams is offline   Reply With Quote