Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #11
challdorson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Yeast and more yeast!

i second what a lot of people are saying- probiotics, graprefruit seed extract, and if need be diflucan.. currently my dd and i are BOTH on diflucan...

at our local health food store we were able to find a powder childrens acidopholus and they suggested making a paste out of the powder and putting on the nipple prior to feedings. for some reason i guess probiotics arent passed through breastmilk. for some reason yeast is so so hard to get rid of. gotta keep at it.

also with the diflucan- if you do get a prescription- make sure its not just the one day dose (which is to treat vaginal yeast) bc it will do NOTHING (learned the hard way)... you pretty much have to be on a more mild dose for almost a 2 week period.

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2007, 06:41 PM   #12
jecmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan View Post
I was wondering how many of you that are suffering from thrush were given antibiotics at delivery. I had Strep B, and my labor was long. I ended up with 4 doses. I have had thrush off since the beginning. But now at 6 months, it seems to have really gone wild. I guess I shouldn't have waited until it got really bad to get meds for it.

Valerie
I received the antibiotics. I did for my previous two, as well, but this was the first time I ended up dealing with thrush. I'm sure they're frequently related.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #13
mariewes
Registered Users
seller

So do you have to wash off the anti fungal cream before nursing??
Old 09-06-2007, 05:53 AM   #14
jecmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewes View Post
Supposedly not. The meds should absorb into your body within 15 mins or so, and the cream should mostly rub off onto your nursing pads. Just to be safe, I would gently wipe myself off with my nursing pad (I tried to change nursing pads with each feed).
Old 09-06-2007, 06:02 AM   #15
idigchaitea
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I was wondering how many of you that are suffering from thrush were given antibiotics at delivery. I had Strep B, and my labor was long. I ended up with 4 doses. I have had thrush off since the beginning. But now at 6 months, it seems to have really gone wild. I guess I shouldn't have waited until it got really bad to get meds for it.

Valerie
yes! I had strep B and was given antiobiotics, and now I am realizing what it has done to my body
idigchaitea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:10 AM   #16
challdorson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewes View Post

theres an oral nystatin, and a non-oral one. i believe that the non-oral you are supposed to wash off before feedings. but honestly, I rarely did b/c id applied it after feedings, so by the next time there was barely anything there, and i figured the tiny amount that was there couldnt hurt.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #17
ange
Registered Users

My Mood:

One thing to keep in mind is that if you stop bf'ing, you still need to aggressively treat the thrush. Stopping will not cure the thrush, so if bf'ing is important to you, please try to treat it while you're still bf'ing. It would be so disappointing to stop, then realize you still have to deal with thrush.

It seems that everyone has something different that works for them. For us, it took nearly three months, but the combination that finally worked was GV for four days, with grapefruit seed extract (2 pills, 3x daily) and to keep doing the treatment & sterilizing her pacifiers for 3-4 weeks after you don't have any symptoms.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #18
yip95
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I third (fourth? n-th?) the gentian violet.

Our son had the beginnings of thrush in his mouth last Friday. We got some gentian violet through some LLL contacts (yay LLL!) and started it Friday night (a q-tip of it for him to suck and then a second q-tip to paint it on my nipples). The instructions we got from kellymom said to keep at it for 4-5 days after symptoms disappear. We did that and it's totally gone!

Also, he gets probiotics everyday in a little bit of breastmilk in a bottle. that's pretty important.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:19 PM   #19
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Quote:

Valerie
Me! I had abx for Strep B with both deliveries, and got thrush both times. The second time the thrush came on faster and was worse -- and I had had 2 rounds of antibiotics for a wicked case of bronchitis in my last month of pregnancy.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #20
mhr1406
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok add me to the list of mamas that had group B strep during pg and ended up with lots of abx during labor to end up battling thrush. It took genetian violet, GSE tablets, probiotics and diflucan for Logan and I both at the same time to beat it finally.

Oh and don't forget to sun all your dc's toys to kill the yeast that could be on them to prevent reinfection.

One tip that I learned with the genetian violet is.....................
Rub the baby's lips with a tiny amount of olive oil (this is also antifungal and will prevent some of the staining on the baby's lips) Then paint your nipples with the genetian violet right before nursing (this will treat the baby and it is less messy).

I hope you feel better soon mama