Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
pernillep
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help me Please - my freezer stash is gone

I have been back to work for 2 months and we will be using the last of the freezer stash tomorrow becuase I didn't pump my required 2 times on Friday and then forgot to add to it over the weekend.

I am having a really hard time keeping up with the pumping. I have a really stressfull job with meetings that interrupt my schedule constantly even with the time bloced out on my calendar). We are really lucky and have a designated pumping room but we are on a schedule and if you miss your time it is a pain to rescedule since others depend on the room.
I have been trying to get DS on a reverse schedule so he nurses more when I am home but I need sleep to function at work so we have just moved him into his own room so night nursing has been cut down to once.

Give me ideas- what can I do? Has any of you been there done that and how did you make it work. There is no way I am ready to stop nursing. It is not an option. But pumping is harder than I thought.

Advertisement

Old 09-04-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
llmangan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help me Please - my freezer stash is gone

I'm there right now Mama! My DS is just two weeks older than yours and I work full time in a pretty stressful job and go to school part-time. I'm sometimes away from DS for 16 hours so keeping up with him is tough... You haven't given any details about your pumping/nursing routine. You mention that you pump twice a day. How often do you nurse? When you pump how long do you pump for... How long are you away from DS and how much is he being feed? How much are you able to pump? This type of information will help me help you... You may need to supplement for a little while but it's not too late to get you back on track! Visit kellymom.com. There is a pumping and relactating message board and the moderators can give you really good advice. If you'd like to PM me I can try to help you out or post the answers to the above and I'll try my best share the tips I've been given based on your responses. GL MAMA!
Old 09-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
mammamo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I work full time too and went through a low supply period that made me very sad so I know how you feel I don't have to specific time that I *have* to pump, just guidelines, but I think if I missed by specific time I would grab my pump and go to the restroom or an empty conference room, I;m a nurse and have pumped anywhere that I could Now I always pump after waking and right before I go to bed, to keep my supply and freezer stash up to par. If it starts getting low I take some fenugreek for about a week. Sorry and good luck!

www.greenplanetbaby.com

mammamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
pernillep
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your help is much appreciated - Ihave tried answering your questions below

You haven't given any details about your pumping/nursing routine.
You mention that you pump twice a day. How often do you nurse? As much as he wants while we are awake - usually when he gets up he finishes 1 boob then about 45 min later before I have to run out the door he has the other. He nurses when I get home from work or wihthin an hour - then pretty constantly every 1-2 hours until 10pm. Most nights I get up once with him to nurse. I guess I need to start pumping at night after he is sleeping but I only have a manual pump at home and it takes forever so it is really hard for me to do when I am half asleep
When you pump how long do you pump for... Usually until nothing is coming out - takes about 15 min How long are you away from DS and how much is he being feed? I am gone from 7am until 5:30-6:30 depending on traffic
How much are you able to pump? I get about 6-8 ounches each session - more if he didn't finish completely before I left for work. he eats it all while I am away.

I actually get enough each day so we don't have to supplement - I just would like the security of having a few weeks in the freezer should something happen.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
jax
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm with you too. I try to get DS to nurse right before I leave in the am and if I am not feeling empty I use the manual pump I have. At work I do my absolute best not to do meetings during pumping times but if it is unavoidable I pump before the meeting cuz you can control that time. you never know when a meeting will end. can you bring a little manual pump and get an extra pumping in? (in the bathroom if necessary ) even if you don't get much milk it will help stimulate more milk production for later. HTH

jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:02 AM   #6
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

many (most?) women need to pump an additional session or 2 to keep up w/their little one's needs bc baby is almost always more efficient than the pump.

I suggest adding a pump session or 2 at home. or you could pump on your commute.
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:05 AM   #7
mammamo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would like to add that since you are one almost 12 hours you should probably be pumping at least another time during the day....Do you have an office that you could pump while answering emails or something like that? I second the pumping while you commute too, get a car adaptor for your pump!!! One of my co-workers does that now!

www.greenplanetbaby.com

mammamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #8
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you know any of the other women using the pumping room? Could you have a pumping buddy system so that if you can't make your slot there is someone willing to share hers with you and vice versa?
ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:06 AM   #9
mhaddon
Registered Users
seller

Also, in order to build supply back up you may need to pump a while after you have stoped getting milk. You need the stimiluation to make your body produce more milk. Where it is at now it thinks you have enough and it won't up production, KWIM?? So pump the full time and even if you can only catch a few breaks here and there even for 10, 15 mins. go ahead and pump then.
GL!
mhaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:10 AM   #10
llmangan
Registered Users
seller

You've gotten lots of good responses. I asked all those questions to see if you have a supply problem and to check if DS was possibly being overfeed which is common. You don't seem to have a supply problem which is great... Alot of WOHM's (myself included) who are pumping need to add in extra sessions at night and on the weekends to get enough for bottles while they are away. You are lucky to be able to pump what you need during your two sessions at work - 6 to 8 oz is great since the average is 2 to 4 oz. DS is eating 12 to 18 oz while you are away for 12 hours which is right on track for the 1 - 1 1/2 oz per hour while away.

I guess my only comment on your current schedule is to keep an eye on the number of pumping / nursing sessions per day. Your milk supply is established now and changes like STTN (you mentioned that you've transitioned from co-sleeping to the crib but still nurse once per night), the eventual introduction of solids and the return of AF may cause your supply to slowly decline over time. It's recommended that you maintain 8 sessions per day (right now I calculate you have 6) and make sure you don't go too long between sessions b/c you don't want your body to think that supply can be reduced... You seem to be doing fine now but I'd keep an eye on your output just to be sure and add in more sessions if needed to up the supply.

At work it's important to get in those two pumping sessions even with the interruption of meetings. If you have to, take the manual pump and go to the bathroom to get it in rather than skipping it if you miss your time slot. With the amount of time you're away you probably should be pumping three times but I absolutely understand the juggling act you're facing trying to balance time for working and pumping while having to share a lactation room! A pp mentioned making friends and sharing the room - it's an idea you could look into...

To re-build the freezer stash I recommend pumping in the mornings on the weekends. This is typically the best time to collect "extra" as the morning is when the supply is the highest. You could also pump one side while nursing the other... It's tough at first to multi-task like this but nursing one side will help with the let down on the other side and DS will still have plenty since he'll be more efficient than the pump. Even if you just get an extra oz or so it'll add up over time. It sounds like you leave the electric pump at work but maybe you could lug it home once in a while especially on the weekends. It's a heck of alot easier than the manual.

Most of the other suggestions I've received would result in increasing your supply which seems unneccessary but if you find you need a boost let me know... Sorry this post is so long, I just wanted to be thorough... goodvibes: