Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
BeckyP
Registered Users
seller

baby is a week old and still no milk

My baby was born last Monday and I still don't have hardly any milk. When I pump I only get about 5 cc's and that is from both breasts after pumping for about 15 mins. I talked with the LL and she said I could start taking Fenugreek to try and increase my supply but she doesn't believe it will work for me. I guess my body just doesn't produce milk. Anybody have this issue and by some stroke of a miracle still BF their baby.

Advertisement

BeckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:
Re: baby is a week old and still no milk

Oh mama

Don't give up though!! How is your diet? are you getting tons of good fatty foods? are you drinking a lot? How offten are you pumping/nursing dc? Contact your DR and gets some reglan. It helps your prolactin levels. You will get tons of advice here on DS just keep asking. you can do it hun.. I know it doesn't seem like it now.. But you can!

Oh also are you using any formula? If so get a SnS suplamenter system. Medela sells them or you can contact the WIC dept, hospital, or the LLL.

HTH and GL to you!
Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
MNmomma
Registered Users
seller

Are you pumping after nursing or just pumping? It can make a big difference! From experience (many, many months exclusively pumping), it take some practice to become an efficient pumper and also, a baby is SO MUCH more effective than a pump. Also, not all pumps work for all moms at all times. I went through several depending on what worked at the moment for me.

MNmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

5 cc's...i'd say that's pretty darn good!! that's a whole pump bottle, like pp said breast pumps are not as efficient as a baby...does your baby have a good amount of wet diapers? make sure you drink lots of water and eat well.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Jackie, I think you mixed up cc's and oz.

OP - It's not that rare to get that little a week after birth esp if you are nursing as well. Has the LC done a weigh/nurse/re-weigh of the baby? If not get a new LC stat!

There are many, many things you can do to increase a low supply, but first you need to determine if you really do have a low supply, and w/n/r is one of the only ways to TRULY check for it. A pump is NOT efficient and what you get out with it is NOT representative of your actual supply.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenonyx View Post
Jackie, I think you mixed up cc's and oz.

OP - It's not that rare to get that little a week after birth esp if you are nursing as well. Has the LC done a weigh/nurse/re-weigh of the baby? If not get a new LC stat!

There are many, many things you can do to increase a low supply, but first you need to determine if you really do have a low supply, and w/n/r is one of the only ways to TRULY check for it. A pump is NOT efficient and what you get out with it is NOT representative of your actual supply.
I agree. Many women will find that their milk will "not come in" for about a week. Nurse first, then pump after. Make sure you are getting a lot of fluids as your body is probably starting to get rid of excess fluids from the pregnancy right now and taking valuable fluids with it. Get that baby to the breast every 2 1/2 hours or sooner, if demanded. Nurse as much as possible in the wee hours of the morning as that is when your brain signals to make more breastmilk.

Get a LC soon if that doesn't help. It is VERY uncommon that we don't make milk. There are extenuating circumstances, I'm sure. Hugs!
Old 09-04-2007, 07:18 AM   #7
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

Yeah i thought about that later last night after i posted! my bad!! lol
Old 09-04-2007, 08:27 AM   #8
eyelashes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is your baby having enough wet and dirty diapers? I can't pump anything and never have been able to. I just nursed constantly and watched his diapers in the beginning. I also bought a baby scale and weighed him obsessively, until I was sure he was gaining well. Pumping output doesn't indicate supply. I hope things are going well mama!
Old 09-04-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
mommynet
Registered Users

My Mood:

I second the SNS system. I used this with my DD and it worked wonderfully. It lays right at the nipple so that the baby still nurses. Because baby is still nursing while being supplemented it helps baby stay there and nurse harder to help that milk come on in. Good Luck you can do it .
Old 09-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #10
lilyfish
Registered Users
seller

The nurse who was with me in the labor & delivery room while I was laboring told me that it took her milk 10 DAYS to come in with het DD2. She continued to nurse her and then give formula until her milk finally came in.

You do not necessarily have to buy an SNS -- from what I hear, you can make them. Pumping does not necessarily work for all mamas.

Just stay strong, honey. *hugs* Try to get an SNS and use that.
~ emma goldman
lilyfish is offline   Reply With Quote