Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2006, 09:43 PM   #1
blessed with boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
need help with bite....

Ok I posted earlier about Eli biting my nipple and drawing blood....I think its infected now, its red, oozing and painful! Not to mention it bleeds everytime Eli nurses.....I dont know what to do to help it heal, any suggestions?

Jackie

Advertisement

blessed with boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:06 PM   #2
blessed with boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: need help with bite....

I guess no one has gone through this.....lucky me! Anyways I put some neosporin on it last night and a bandaid....it lasted about 2 hours until Eli wanted to nurse and had to have both sides.....it hurts soooo bad still! Anyways today I'm putting lansinoh on it, and I think the oozing is getting better.... hopefully by tomorrow it wont be quite so painful.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:16 PM   #3
absoluteprncss
Registered Users
seller

This happened with my ds when he was about 9 months, I put lanolin on it to help it heal and tried as much as I could to nurse on the other side. As far as the biting, any time he would bite I would fold his lip down on his teeth and push gently and say no bite. If he did it more than once I would stop nursing. I struggled for about 4 days before he just quit doing it. I would watch for signs of infection though and call your doc right away if it looks like it's headed that way. Sorry I wasn't much help!
absoluteprncss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:37 PM   #4
augustgirl69
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm right there with you- when ds falls asleep nursing he tends to bite down and if I don't catch it fast enough OOWWW! It happened 2 days ago and my left (and preferred ) nipple has a lovely cut in it. Talk about PAIN - I know!! I use lansinoh on it and try to grin and bear it but biy does it hurt!! I have no real advice but I really do understand!!
Old 07-12-2006, 09:51 AM   #5
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Air. Lots of air. A little antibiotic ointment at night (wipe off any left before nursing), and lots of air. Lanolin during the day, after letting it air dry. Also, if it's bleeding during feeding, don't be surprised if he spits up blood (even just blood - their stomachs can actually separate it) - it tends to upset their tummies.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

When Landan was nursing he bit me quite a few times. I think he drew blood twice, but not as bad as yours sounds!! OUCH!!! I would apply some anitbiotic ointment, and let it air if possible. Wipe off before nursing and try nursing more on other side if possible. When Landan would bite down, and he wasn't falling asleep, my dr said to pull him in to me. This covers his nose and he will let go faster because he wants to breathe. At first I didn't think I could do that, but the next time he bit me I tried it and it worked! Then it just kind of became instinct. He didnt think it was as funny when he had to let go to get air. I would also end the feeding. He stopped biting after awhile, but he did it alot. Not fun!!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #7
blessed with boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the replies, I'll try pushing his head into me next time he does it...I normally wouldnt do something like that either but telling him "no" obviously isnt working. I am on day three of extremely painful nipple....no fun at all.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:14 PM   #8
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed with boys
Thanks for the replies, I'll try pushing his head into me next time he does it...I normally wouldnt do something like that either but telling him "no" obviously isnt working. I am on day three of extremely painful nipple....no fun at all.
I know it doesn't sound nice, but it does make sense, and he will let go! landan thought biting was funny, the more i told him no or to stop the more he laughed and bit down!

Good luck, I hope it works for you!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #9
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The most effective way for me to kick a biting habit was to end the nursing session.
Good luck!
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:51 AM   #10
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with church punk mom! Tell him no and put that baby away from you. Go get a drink of water and try again! The best anticeptic for infection is your own Breast Milk! Squeeze some on your nipple and go topless! Let them dry out! No bandaid or laniolish!

Set the rules for nursing now so that you don't have him doing things that make you not want to nurse him.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote