Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What do you think?

When I was pregnant with DJ, dh and I discussed names and for some odd reason, every name combo we liked involved James. I have a cousin Jamie that we're very close to and dh's BIL is named Jamie but we weren't really trying to name the baby after them...it just seemed like every name we liked was a James name. Dh's name is Andrew so we had decided on Andrew James. Well, when DJ was born, the doc asked what his name was and dh blurted out David James. I was ok with that so it stuck and now we have DJ. This baby is another boy and we haven't really even discussed names until last night. I've been racking my brain but haven't come up with anything I'm really crazy about. I told dh last night that I'd kind of like to name the baby Andrew Owen Jr. (don't ask me why!). He hates his middle name though so he suggested that we go back to Andrew James. So two questions:

1. Isn't the oldest boy supposed to be the "Jr."...would it be weird to name our second son Jr.?

2. Is it weird to have two boys with the same middle name, especially when they're not really named after anybody? I just keep thinking about George Foreman and his 7 (?) sons named George!

Advertisement

Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:22 AM   #2
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Re: What do you think?

LOL, well I won't equate you to George Foreman! LOL!! I probably wouldn't give my kids the same middle name. I guess I like coming up with all the different ones, and I always thought it was bad enough when I was little that I shared my middle name with half of the world (not really, but you know, LOL) I couldn't imagine how it would be to share it with my brother. BUT that's just me, and everyone is different, maybe your boys could care less, KWIM?
I think the Jr. thing is less "weird" LOL. Well, around the boonies here people have their first name as Jr. or it just evolves into a "junior", so I don't think it's that weird. It is the first born that's supposed to be named Jr. , but if you want to do it I don't think there's anything that's holding you back. David can have a wonderful story about what his father said after he was born, LOL, and maybe the Jr. thing won't bother him.
So it's your call, but I would give my kids different middle names and go for the Jr. if I really wanted to.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Well my dad is the oldest and his next youngest brother is the Jr. My hubby isn't a jr, but he is the 3rd son and took the name sake of 2 grandfathers. I knew 3 sisters in school who all had the middle name of Anne. 3 of my daughters have Anne in there middle name (Michelle-Anne, LeeAnne, & LouAnne). If I am having twins and if they are both girls both middle names will be Rose. So no I don't think it would be weird if you named them both with James or if 2nd ds was the name sake. It is just what you both decide. If you like it go with it. If not keep choosing! I do like Andrew Owen though....You could call him either. Good luck!!!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr

Last edited by annes_cottage; 07-11-2006 at 09:26 AM.
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:51 PM   #4
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

wellllllllll no offense but i don't like the whole jr thing, only b/c children then feel like they have to continue it. i also don't really care for the name james (even though it is my oldest DS's first name, we just turned his initials around) and my dh's first name (he goes by his middle, shortened). so we ALMOST have a jr (he has a different middle name than his father lol) and he also has a name i don't like.
HOWEVER i do like Andrew James (maybe i just don't like it as a first name? lol)....and no i don't think it's weird for your ds's to have the same middle name. i had a friend whose two brothers had the same middle as her as well. they were filipino and it's tradition that all the children have their mothers last name as their middle name.
one of the middle names we were considering if we were to have a girl was my middle name...my sister did that as well, her oldest dd has the same middle name as her. i don't think it's strange at all. i think it's better that than to do jr.

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #5
blessed with boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldnt use the same middle name, but thats just me.
blessed with boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:00 PM   #6
Blessedmommieof3
Registered Users
seller

You are getting a wide-cariety of replies on this one.

I've always thought a Jr. should be the first born son, so naming the little brother Jr. would be weird to me. I'm not very fond of the whole I, II, III stuff anyway. My Dad was a III.

I have seen quite a few families use the same middle name, but usually because they are namesakes. Hmmmm... of your two options I (personally) would go with Andrew James.

George Forman is in his own league - with one very big EGO!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:37 PM   #7
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

also we had also discussed doing the same middle name if we ever had twins...the middle name so happened to also be rose...me and lauri think alike on lots of names lol

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:08 AM   #8
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

Personally I am against the Jr. thinkg for two solid reasons. First is someone took the time and effort to pick out your dh's name, it's your turn to take the time and effort top pick out your ds's name. Second is all the issues it will cause alter in life I have 2 brothers that are Jr.'s (different fathers and mothers as a matter of fact) and both of them have so many issues. Bills go to the wrong home, bank statements, even tax issues. Now, no offense if you like Jr. names, just my personal preferance.

We also LOVE James as a middle name (my dh's first name) and so long as the first name didn't start with a B we were good (BJ ). Of course it is another girl and I just love James so much so our dd's middle name will likely be Jaymes (a bit girlie with the y). So I love Andrew James (my youngest brothers name is Andrew) and my vote is for that. So many nicknames there, AJ, Andy, Drew or stick with Andrew even james, Jamie or Jim would work.

In every boy I know the first is always the Jr but I don't think it's a rule or anything. Also, I would use the same middle name and know several people that have. I think it'd be cute if all your boys were _J (like DJ, AJ and such).
Old 07-13-2006, 06:51 AM   #9
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Well my MIL's middle name is Douglas (family last name) and her older brother's name was Douglas Wister (after his father) and her older sister was Wister Olive - so obviously they were big into recycling names in that family.

I'd say it probably doesn't matter hugely once you get past the birth announcement/introduce everyone to the new baby where everyone asks for the full name. You'd probably get some flack early on (if anyone remembered that the J in DJ = James too), but I doubt it would be a big deal later in life.

That said I personally don't think I would choose to do it.