Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
anyone have an awful time BF #1 and had success w #2+? long

I feel weird posting about this on an AP board, b/c I probably wouldn't be considered an APer, but I figured I'd go for it I really wanted to be successful w/ BFing. I had an awful time. I have the flattest nipples in creation and knew it would be an issue. Ethan was born on Christmas day - fun for us, but the LCs were all off for a few days. I feel like I was doomed fromt he start - I had to have an emergency c-section and I was sick (fevers, etc) when he was born, so I had an infection in my uterus too. Ethan had to have antibiotics (as did I) as soon as he was born and I didn't even get to see him for 3 hours at least. I knew I wouldn't be able to BF w/o a shield but since he came early, I didn't have one or even knew what they looked like to go buy one - I just knew I'd need one. I tried BF him but he couldn't latch. I asked for an LC and I was told they'd be off until the next day. I said, "Well, what do I do?" They brought me some formula and I finger fed him They then brought me a pump and I pumped andp umped and pumped. Whatever I pumped I put in the seringe and finger fed him. I had no p roblem w/ what was coming in, I just couldn't get him to latch. Well, the LCs ended up not coming in the next day either, so another day w/ no help and the nurses weren't much help either. I saw an LC the 3rd day, and she gave me a shield that was too small (didn't know it) and was kind of mean. The next day, I got an awesome LC who went out and bought me the right kind of sheild and totally helped me. I loved her. I was at the LCs weekly for about six weeks. BF was so hard - I could never get the shield to stay on. It would slip aruond, even w/ lanolin to help it stick, or Ethan would knock it off. I cried all the time. I wanted to give up. I stuck it out for six weeks and then I thought I'd pump exclusively. I knew some ladies on a message board that did that successfully - well, my supply pretty much dried up in a week. One day, all I could get was 3 oz total for the day. I was drinking water, taking fenugreek, oatmeal, etc. Even the LC finally told me, "I don't think he'll ever latch onto you w/o the shield". That kind of did me in.

Anyway, I gave up once my supply went away - I pretty much had to. I felt guilty for a long, long time but now I don't. He's doing well and growing and happy. I just know its better for him to be BF and I feel that my exhaustion caused me to give up too easy. I was so tired, etc. Anyway, the main thing keeping me from wanting #2 (we agreed to two kids LOL) is the whole BF thing. Part if me just doesn't want to go through it all again. part me worries that I'll hate it like I did this time. I hated that I hated it! I never felt bonded to Ethan from BF b/c both of us were miserable. I never felt that closeness or that relaxing feeling. There's a womano n another board I'm on who had the same nipple issues as me, and she stuck it out and eventually she didn't need the shield after 11 weeks. If I stuck it out a month longer, I might have been okay too. I know another woman IRL who used the shields for a year of BF. I just don't think I could make it that long w/ those things. I hated the shields -just looking at them made me cry.

Anyone have an awful experience at first and t hen have a much better one next time around? I hate that this is the main thing keeping me from wanting m ore children. I hate to admit that.

if you've made it this far, thank you for "listening"

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2006, 09:12 PM   #2
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: anyone have an awful time BF #1 and had success w #2+? long

hugs mama!! I only nursed my oldes for 4 weeks and my second for 2.5 years. get in touch with LLL. they will point you in the right direction.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
my3punkins2005
Banned
seller

I have to agree get in touch with your local LLL they can help you and give physical support
I nursed my first for almost 6 months and had to stop because my son had thrush and i had a yeast infection on my breasts and got no help from anyone in my area till it got so bad i finally found a LC who told me what it was by then i was bleeding i so wanted to continue but was in so much pain with #2 DS i nursed till 1 and with #3 DS is 6 months and ecbf..i am much more informed now(i had my first 8 yrs ago) and have lots of resources i hate formula and refuse to feed it to my babies!
my3punkins2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
love2bmom2chris
Registered Users
seller

My first 2 didn't latch on correctly but my third did:-)
love2bmom2chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:41 PM   #5
mama23boys
Banned
seller

i had the WORST time with both my kids! my first i was 17 when i had him, no support, i was drugged from the labor and i didnt see him for a few hrs--i tried for a few weeks BUT absoluetly no idea what i was doing and oh lord did it ever hurt (bad latch i now know!)

my 2nd was an emergency c-section and had some breathing problems and AGAIN i was drugged and didnt see him for a few hrs. by the time i got him back i had very little support from hospital/family. i tried so much more with my second and even tried pumping. i lasted a bit longer maybe 3wks????

now my 3rd ds ohh good grief that was whole new world!!! a GREAT unmedicated vbac birth, he roomed with me the WHOLE time (NEVER out of my sight!!!!) the hospital was so amazing---i had 2 LC's come and check my out and the nurses knew their stuff and i had great support from dh (different dad this time).....and guess he is now 4months old and has never ever had a bottle of formula!!

i would say if you are having problems check with LLL and if you have enough money you can hire an LC if your hospital dosent have a good one!
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:00 AM   #6
bethanyjoy
Registered Users

Thanks for sharing your story!

One thing you might want to take into consideration is how much more you already know than you did when you started out last time. Plus, you have lots of time to learn more -- information is power, especially with things like breastfeeding and childbirth...the more you know the more you can prepare, not just physically but emotionally as well.

I agree to try and join LLL if possible, not just for the "technical" advice, but for the emotional support...that can make a huge difference!

And remember that whatever you choose to do about having a second, whether or not you breastfeed long term or not is not the determining factor in how much you love your baby.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:08 AM   #7
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm so bad with remember names for things...when you say nipple shield, are you talking about the silicon nipple that would fit over yours? If so, there's another thing - maybe called a shield? that you can wear during pregnancy to 'unflatten' your nipples. I've been told every bf'ing experience is different - i personally failed both times...but desperately want to try again! I think with the right support system in place - we could both be successful
Old 05-13-2006, 08:09 AM   #8
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

avent make something you may be interested in to niplette
Old 05-13-2006, 11:31 PM   #9
MommyMommyMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2bmom2chris
My first 2 didn't latch on correctly but my third did:-)
This is exactly what happened with me! With my first I pumped for 3 months, with my second I pumped for 6 months, and with my third, he latched right on and we've been breastfeeding for 7 wonderful months! I started going to LLL meetings with the third and they are wonderful!! I have turned into a total lactivist!
MommyMommyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:20 AM   #10
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

Breastfeeding was a bismal failure with DS, but with DD nearly 5 years later, we didn't have a *single* problem... it could have been more knowledge on my part, or it could just be that she's a different baby. Remember that it takes TWO to breastfeed, it's not all up to you - you can do everything in the world and your baby may just not "get it"

Last edited by EasterBun; 05-14-2006 at 12:22 AM.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote