Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
peverroad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
cloth diapers

where is a good website to buy from to start my stash? Looking for everything.

Advertisement

peverroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
peverroad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: cloth diapers

is there a website store to buy used from?
Old 09-05-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
AlexandZoesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This doesn't help for the used diapers but we have used greenmountaindiapers.com to get us started and then move up sizes. I love her prefolds! (I have heard lots of good things about her fitted diapers too - we just don;t use many fitteds.)

Hope that helps
Old 09-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #4
DivineNature
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've gotten used dipes and covers from the FSOT boards here and on diaperpin.com as well as craigslist.
You haven't joined SWAGBUCKS yet? JOIN NOW & earn prizes!
DivineNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Right here on the fsot boards! I'd start looking around on the diaper board to see what you may like and buy used from here to save a few bucks and get a few opinions.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
graces-mommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got my first pockets and covers from nickisdiapers.com since she has free shipping on those items!

graces-mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #7
tsk_mum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

check the for sale sections here
if you want PFs I would look into just getting new, maybe from a co-op & find some covers used
good luck!!

What are you looking for, maybe I can help?
Old 09-06-2007, 05:06 AM   #8
peverroad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think i was wanting to start with prefolds and covers and a snappy.
I have big babys and Dakota was 8 11 while born and 10 lbs by 2 weeks.
What size do you think i need to get? I started him at like a year.
i am only 13 weeks along so i have a long time to gather,
Old 09-06-2007, 05:13 AM   #9
mmskids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

co-ops for prefolds and I agree, FSOT here for used.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:10 AM   #10
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by peverroad View Post
I think i was wanting to start with prefolds and covers and a snappy.
I have big babys and Dakota was 8 11 while born and 10 lbs by 2 weeks.
What size do you think i need to get? I started him at like a year.
i am only 13 weeks along so i have a long time to gather,

Wow, chubby babies! I would start with infant prefolds and totally bypass preemie. Preemies stopped fitting my daughter at 9lbs or so and she was peeing through them anyway. She was born at 5lbs so it was 2 1/2 months before she chubbed up enough to get out of them. But infants started fitting at 8-9lbs so they would defintiely work for a bigger newborn. And you would be kinda in between a nb and a small size cover. If budget is a BIG concern, I would either go with a really cheap cover in nb and smalls like proraps(go ask on the diapering board but there's a number you can call to request second quality proraps for like $5 each or buy them used here for like $4-5 each) or a great cover like thirsties or bummis super whisper wrap in smalls. So my recommendation for your newborn stash(and I've been using cloth for 2 1/2 years for this baby, 6 months until potty learning for my first baby, and am due in Feb to cloth diaper my 3rd baby) is this:
[B]seriously financially challenged:[/B]
infant prefolds- 3doz- ask on here for stained and worn but no holes. diaper service quality are cheaper than chinese prefolds and not as soft but worth it for price. sometimes you can get for the price of a flat rate box ffs
2 snappi's- sometimes you can get them free on here just for the price of of $.41 stamp
6-8 small proraps covers- again, check on the covers board for older stained covers that are still functional in elastic and pul. you can probably get them for $4 or less each
if you can sew, make your own wipes(about 3doz) out of cut-up recieving blankets, cheap flannel, old shirts, etc
if not, wipes-again, you CAN find them ffs since you have a long time to look, but otherwise get about 3doz or so. a lot of people will sell their old gerber washcloths as wipes and htey work awesome. been using mine for 2 1/2 years and they are still great.
use a plastic bag for your wetbag for out and about to store the dirties until you get home.
any old big bucket or garbage can with a lid can work for a pail or just throw in your washer for a pail

for a bigger but still thrifty budget
infant prefolds- 3 doz- you COULD buy new but I prefer used anyway. they are already prepped, your budget will decide lack of staining and wear
newborn bummis or thirsties covers-6- again, look for good function in elastic and pul. budget decides staining, pilling of the aplix, etc
small bummis or thirsties covers-6- again, see the newborn covers
wipes- 3 doz- gerber washcloths work fine but if you want prettier softer wipes, try something in flannel or organic velour. all depends how much you want to spend.
wetbags-2- one to be in the wash, one to be in use when out and about. some can be pretty cheap, like under $10. MUST be functional in pul, otherwise you have leaks. i recommend one with a zipper closure instead of drawstring. in the summer heat, you may want to chuck a drawstring closure bag out the window and give up. stinky!
diaper pail- just 1- I got a push-button lid garbage can from wal-mart for like $7 that's lasted me my 2 1/2 years of diapering and will last me with the next baby too. some people prefer the kind that you step on the button to lift the lid.
if you sew, you can easily make your own wipes, wetbags, etc. you may want to look into sewing ;your own diapers. it's not hard, even for a novice. it can save a TON of money or it can put you in debt with cute fabrics. remember that there are other options than pul covers like wool and fleece that breathe better. I prefer wool. But checking out the diapering board can give you a better idea as to what's good, what styles there are, etc. Remember above all, that cloth diapering is constantly evolving. even your wash routine will constantly evolve. This is mine:

cold wash with one squirt dawn dishwashing detergent and tea tree oil
cold rinse with vinegar
hang dry inside or outside

Also, you will realize once that bum is cloth diapered that it will be bulkier than sposies. Either size up in clothing, go to overalls and dresses, or stick with one-piece outfits that are roomy in the bottom. Sewing your own or knitting your own wool pants are an option too. The pants are cover and clothing all in one, thus reducing bulk.

Best of luck to you. Visit the diapering board for more than you ever needed to know about diapers! It's fun, it's addictive, but it can be frugal!