Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
Jaimelynne04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What can I do? Anything??

Okay, so a little history. We're on baby #4. I'm due in 9 days. The thing is, I've never gone into labor on my own. They've always induced me. With my last one they didn't even wait till I was 40 weeks because they "knew" it'd end up an induction anyway.

Well, now that I'm getting so close to the end of this pregnancy I'm really starting to think about labor and induction. I *really really really* don't want to be induced again. I'd like to go into labor by myself. Is there anything I can do to prepare my body for labor? Or is it possible I just have a stubborn uterus that won't let baby go without medical interferance?

Any help or suggestions would be fantastic!

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
itsymama
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: What can I do? Anything??

When were you induced with all your other kids ?

itsymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
Jaimelynne04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsymama View Post
When were you induced with all your other kids ?
Well I suppose "technically" I went into labor on my own with ds#1 at 36 weeks. I really don't think I was in labor...I think they just slapped me in the bed and started up the pitocin. I was at 3 cm for only a few hours when they started giving me pitocin. Now that I look back it seems crazy the way they did things but I just didn't know better, plain and simple.

With dd#1 they induced me at 39 weeks, right before my due date and with ds#2 they induced me at 38 weeks.

So really....I could have held on for a long time past those dates I think to see what would happen but I didn't get the chance.

I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to avoid an induction again??
Old 09-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

supposedly....sex,walking,fresh pineapple, raspberry tea, nipple stimulation, Umm I know theres probably more, but thats all I can think off of the top of my head
Old 09-05-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimelynne04 View Post
Well I suppose "technically" I went into labor on my own with ds#1 at 36 weeks. I really don't think I was in labor...I think they just slapped me in the bed and started up the pitocin. I was at 3 cm for only a few hours when they started giving me pitocin. Now that I look back it seems crazy the way they did things but I just didn't know better, plain and simple.

With dd#1 they induced me at 39 weeks, right before my due date and with ds#2 they induced me at 38 weeks.

So really....I could have held on for a long time past those dates I think to see what would happen but I didn't get the chance.

sounds like you are capable of going into labor alone.. but your drs are rushing things .. you could tell them no..
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
mengmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would just keep waiting. Walk and do some lunges to prepare your body for the work coming and get lo into position. I have heard of people having success with acupuntcure too.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
itsymama
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Seeing as many moms don't go into labor till 40 , 41 or even 42 weeks I say if you let yourself go past your due date you may very well go into labor on your own . You could try herbs ect to help get your body ready is you are comfortable with that , EPO ( evening primrose oil ) comes in capsules , you can take them orally and vaginally starting at around 36 weeks I think it is ? It does not induce but helps to ready and soften your cervix , and is told to help you dilate once you are in labor . As for actual induction I would say try to just let your body do it's own thing first , but sex and orgasm may help , walking got my labor started with my lil boy lol , nipple stimulation , can also help . You can opt to try and just get your membranes striped and see if that helps kick start things but I myself will only do this as a last resort . I say you most probably can and would go into labor on your own if they just let you try !

itsymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

walk, nipple stimulation and sex mama, fresh pineapple is another along with spicy foods, goodluck
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:00 AM   #9
Chrijodo
Registered Users
Formerly: RiverDrakesMomma
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimelynne04 View Post
If there is no risk to you or the baby. Tell them you want to wait until 42 weeks. Your dates could be off. Your baby just may not be ready. If at 42 weeks you still haven't gone into labor, then get induced. The reason you've probably never gone into labor on your own is because you were induce early with all your babies. I hope you get to start labor on your own this time around.
Chrijodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:31 AM   #10
jeannewojo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, I see no reason for induction on a healthy mama and baby prior to 41-42 weeks. Ask if you can simply ensure the health of your baby through NST's (Non-stress tests) and other non-invasive monitoring.

To speed things up on your own, you can try drinking red-raspberry leaf tea (not just raspberry flavored tea) You have to drink lots of it though, like a quart a day. I find it to be a little yucky without lots of sugar in it. Also, evening primrose oil... you can swallow it, but it is more effective if you can actually get the oily contents of the capsules next to your cervix. Sex or more specifically semen (to soften your cervix) and the big O on your part (to attempt to jump start uterine contractions) can help AND be fun. I don't recommend enemas or castor oil, both can make you more uncomfortable than is necessary and are no more effective than the stuff I've mentioned. Ofcourse, being a nurse myself - I have to say that you should discuss this stuff with your doc to ensure that you have no medical reason to not try it... and make sure to tell the nurse when you do go into labor if you've been using herbals like red raspberry leaf and EPO in case they plan to give you something that may interact with it.

Remember you have rights as a patient to refuse treatment! You don't have to be induced without a good explanation of why it's necessary. If your doc can't provide a decent explanation, please remember you can be a good mom AND refuse an early induction.