Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
smapple
Registered Users
seller
seller

Exclamation Need Healthy, Dairy Free Ideas - I'm losing too much weight!

I'm continuing to lose weight with nursing.... most people would think that is great... the problem is that I've lost 10 lbs more than I gained during my pregnancy, and I weigh less than I did in high school!

I have a super high metabolism, and with nursing I know I'm burning tons of calories.

I am constantly hungry (not exaggerating). I cannot have anything with dairy because Hannah has severe reactions to dairy. I have to limit my wheat intake because it is hard on me. I can't have anything acidic/prone to cause acid reflux (so tomatoes and citrus, etc are out). PHEW....

Anyone have any suggestions for snacks and/or meal ideas?

I also need suggestions for healthier high fat foods. (I know nuts are high fat but I really don't care for nuts.... I may just have to get over my dislike for them and eat what I can eat at this point though!)

Advertisement

Last edited by smapple; 09-05-2007 at 05:50 PM.
smapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
tlaquepaque
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need Healthy, Dairy Free Ideas - I'm losing too much weight!

I'm also dairy-free and trying to keep up with my milk supply. Do you like avocados? I share one a few times a week with my DS. I cut it up on a salad or sandwich. He eats his straight. I also dip veggies in hummus. For my ice cream fix I make a chocolate soy milk slushie. I freeze chocolate soy milk for a couple hours and then eat it with a spoon. It's not Ben & Jerry's but it's cold and sweet. You can also make smoothies with soy milk and fruit.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:54 AM   #3
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I too am dairy free, but with the opposite problem as you ... But heres my suggestion... get your thyroid checked!!

Good luck
Old 09-06-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
hiding57
Registered Users
seller

Have you ever tried rice dream ice cream? it's fairly fattening (especially for being made out of rice!) It's not to bad either, it has kind of a grainy taste. The flavors are better than te vanilla. I like it better than soy fream because soy dream tates to sweet to me.
hiding57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
tealeaf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

NAK

steel cut oatmeal
cereal with vanilla silk soy milk
carrot sticks with dip - perhaps peanut butter
peanut butter on anything

Old 09-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
mengmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Maybe try some fruit smoothies with hemp protien powder? Lots of chicken? Some hearty bread with pbj?
Old 09-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
Griffinsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had that problem with baby #1. I had to eat every 3 hrs or I would get shakey. I used to stash healthy snacks all over so that no matter where I sat down to bf I had some food. I probably consumes enough for 5-6 meals per day- not so much this time darnit!

I'm dairy free too, but I have no clue about the wheat...

Are you getting enough protein?

How about peanut butter, meat or salmon in sandwhiches with mayo or marg for added fat and calories. Someone already mentioned smoothies with protein powder. Protein bars.

Starches:

Can you eat pasta? Pasta and potatoes always seem to fatten me up

Gluten free or rice bread or muffins?

Drinking juice adds lots of calories. I like those fruit and veggie ones.
Griffinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
yip95
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

definitely go with more protein - bean dips, hummus, veggie burgers. Quorn nuggets are addictive and made with mushrooms (but taste like chicken nuggets). If you eat meat, try having some wings or something around that you like to eat cold as a snack.

I'd stay away from peanut butter, as more and more docs are recommending kids stay away from peanuts until age 3 (even thru breastmilk) to lessen the chance of allergies. But almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower butter - they're all great on toast or with veggie sticks or crackers. If you find gluten free bread, that'll be wheat-free. or if you can find other wheat-free breads, they're all tasty. Some breads have tons of protein/calories in them.

See if you can find some healthy protein/calorie powder and put that in a soy milk/rice milk shake or smoothie with fruit. Or even with veggies, if you like veggie juice (carrots? beets?)

check out www.calorie-count.com to get an idea of how many calories you're getting currently and then find a way to up that by 500 cals or so.

and definitely get your thyroid checked. if that's wacky, then no amount of increased calories is going to help.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #9
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like to freeze fruit and pop it in the blender as is (without milk or water) and drink up that smoothie. It's so much nicer when the small chunks of ice are actually pieces of fruit and you're getting the pure fruit in you. If you added to that some of that protein shake stuff you would definitely have a healthy deelishus drink on your hands. BTW, we have a magic bullet and I couldn't love it enough. It makes perfect individual sized shakes just for me.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:19 PM   #10
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

HUGS momma, I was the same way before I got pregnant w/ds...I got in trouble at the health dept (the nurse got onto me) b/c she said I was nursing too much & not eating enough to make up for it So I started eating lots of carbs and fatty-ish foods I would say invest in some Ensure or Boost but that has dairy products....hmmmmm.