Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-06-2007, 12:49 AM   #1
Registered Users
looking for help from hb'ers

dh and i were planning a hb with a doula, dh found out that he will be in school 6hours away for a month before and after my due date. i am looking for some moma's that have hb'ed alone. i was thinking about getting a midwife and a doula now but i really want too keep it as simple as possible. also with us being military and new too the area there is no faimly or friends near that can care for my son while i am birthing. do you think this would be a big problem? i am woried he will freak out when he sees mommy in pain and will not leave my side. he is going too be about 26 months when the next dc is born. this is a rambled mess but hopefully someone can make some sense of it. i guess i am just looking for some words of support and encuregment.

missy, navy wife too josh, pp doula and mommie too evan11-27-05 the silliest kid i know and eric born 1-26-08!
missy_cbell21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: looking for help from hb'ers

I am quite sure you can do it on your own. I know there are many women who have birthed alone, or without DH. I enjoyed those quiet moments of birthing alone while DH was busy or out getting last minute things. We have 5 children now and due with number 6. The past three births have been unassisted mainly. The children have always been around and it worked out okay all times. I think if you get the doula you will be all set. Maybe you can work on visualize completing birthing while your son is sleeping and that might work out even better.
Mama to 7 kids. 17, 15, 13, 10, 8, 5, 3 and 1 on the way.
vasquez_leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

My kids slept right through me yelling loudly for the last hour or two of my last birth, lol! She was born at 4:30am. I think it all just tends to works out. But, I'd ask your doula if she has an assistant friend, or someone in training who could be on call if needed. I personally feel uneasy if there is not someone to help with the kids if needed. So if you don't have anyone near by, then see if your doula can help you find someone if you feel you need it. Chances are, you could deliver at night when he's sleeping, but then if not, you'd be covered.
Mama to our many blessings!
MamaJoyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
Registered Users

My 2 DD's slept through it, (35 months and 24 months) HOWEVER-I would recommend you have someone you can call or someone to stay just with DC. My midwife's policy states that if there will be children present for delivery there has to be an adult responsible for them (ideally for each child) we were planning on calling our friend to get the kids but the baby came so fast and easy. DD #3 was born at 3:50 am, the older girls woke up about 5 am and came in to see their sister. I called the babysitter at 7 am and she took them for the rest of the day!
Misty, Excuse the short replies, I am usually !! Blessed to be wife to one fabulous DH, and Mommy to 4 beautiful girls! (4 1/2) (3 1/2) (1 1/2) (4/08)
MistyP is offline   Reply With Quote