Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2007, 01:41 PM   #21
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP! Urgent BABY NAME HELP!

I say stick to the traditional spelling because
1. I've always have to correct people on the spelling of my name (has been spelled anywhere from jazzelle to grazelle and everything in between). and
2. I work in HR and I come across a LOT of names that leave you thinking "what the heck where the parents thinking/smoking when they named their child that" I kid you not, we have a Female, Sha-Ron (spelled just like that), Zoo, Xaerlyn, Secret, and a whole host of other names that sound like diseases. I would say, as long as the name is not too out there AND it goes with the last name (george georges, myrette barrette) then go for it. But don't give a name to a child just because it's "unique" and "different" without thinking first if it's going to cause problems for her in the future. And this comes from someone that also was not able to find any name souveniers with her name on it and whose brother is named Else (pronounced eels). Brooklyn is easy to spell, easy on the eyes, and it doesn't cause people to do backflips when they hear it (unless your last name is bridge or city . We have someone whose last name is bear, guess which one of the above named people it is); Abigail sounds great with brooklyn and it's not going to have people scratch their heads in twenty years.

Advertisement

Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #22
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally dont care for it spelled that way .. plus they have the word "gay" in it.. I am sure kids will love that in school..lol..

btw.. my god child is abigail.... Love that name
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #23
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

My real name is a variant spelling of a very traditional, normal name. It has never been spelled correctly, and I HATE having to correct everyone every time. In fact, I no longer do, and many bills, documents, etc simply have the normal spelling, and I just don't bother to correct it.

I would not choose an alternate spelling for your daughter just because it is what you prefer for aesthetic reasons with your other daughter's name. Just MHO from personal experience - and 34 years of having my name spelled wrong every time

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:07 PM   #24
BoysMama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I like it with the y!!!! My name is very different and I am always telling people how to spell it. But that is just something you get used to and it has never bothered me.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:08 PM   #25
vickieboggs
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I'm all for changing the spelling of names and I am a huge Y fan so I like the name!!!
vickieboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:57 PM   #26
EMTMommy
Registered
Formerly: Brooklyn&Abby'sMom
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much for all of your answers! I'm still not quite sure, but once DH saw it written, he also pointed out the "Gay" right in the middle of the name. He is worried about the teasing as well. I guess I'll just wait until I meet her and then decide how I want to spell her name! Hey, maybe I'll throw everyone for a loop and name her Madison! LOL!

Brooklyn had surgery to repair her Coarctation on 2/24/11!!
EMTMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:20 PM   #27
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

I like the non-traditional spelling in this case,mainly because it matches your other daughters name better ..

I have an odd spelled name, i spelled DDs name the old fashioned way, and my mom's name is spelled 'funny' .. so any daughter i have will have to have a weird spelled name. ..its like a sisterhood or something you really do get use to spelling your name out for people and its not a big deal ..