Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

cheap soups

Anyone got recipes for cheap soups???? I am running really low on food and need to make it stretch. I think soups are the way to go. I've got potatoes, milk, cheese, cream of mushroom, fresh broccoli, fresh tomatoes, fresh onion, fresh garlic, and all sorts of whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc. Also, have a few cans of black beans and kidney beans and 2 big cans of tomato sauce(earmarked one for chili) and one can of evaporated milk and frozen corn.
I"m looking for stuff that CAN be made vegetarian or already is. I have a few chicken breasts and ground beef but that's reserved for dh mostly since the girls and I dont' eat meat much(and I dont' eat it at all).

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
kazmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: cheap soups

Potato soup
I cook the potatoes until soft, I make a white sauce from butter, flour & milk (melt a stick or more of butter add flour until its thick add milk until its a thick or thin as you like) then add the potatoes, I season mine with salt & pepper. We add bacon to ours too.
Broc. Cheese soup
Steam broc, make the same white sauce as above, add cheese, melt that & then add the broc. you can add some onions too for flavor.

I was going to say chili but it looks like you have that planned

ISO: GN babylegs
kazmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cream of Broccoli Soup= http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1848,...241192,00.html

Broccoli-Cheese Soup= http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,166,...249192,00.html

Chicken Tortilla Soup
3 Skinless, Boneless chicken breasts, Cooked and diced into 1/4" inch cubes
1 28oz. can tomato sauce
1 28oz. can diced tomatoes with liquid
1 28oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 28oz. can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2-3 cups frozen whole kernel corn
1 envelope taco seasoning mix
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large onion, diced
6-8 large flour tortillas

Toppings:
Sliced black olives, diced green and red bell pepper, chopped onion, shredded Mexican cheese, sour cream or guaccamonle.

Combine all soup ingredients except flour tortillas in slow cooker. Stir to mix. I like to leave this in the fridge overnight, it gives better flavor. Cook on low 5-6 hours or high 3-4. When hot- Cut tortillas into 1 by 1/2" strips. Place to cover bottom of serving bowls. Pour hot soup over tortilla strips and serve with toppings. Soup can also be made on top of the stove. Combine the same as above and bring to a boil. Let simmer 15-20 minutes. Serve as above.

Note: If you boil the chicken and add 1/2 teaspoon Better Than Boullion to the water the chicken will have a better flavor. The soup will be thick. If you desire- add a little water but it will taste better if you don't. Serves 4-6 hearty servings.

http://soup-aholic.blogspot.com/2007...with-rice.html

(you could make it w.o the chicken if you'd like and just add lots of veggies)

http://www.recipesource.com/soups/soups/19/rec1904.html

Hope that helps!!
Old 09-06-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
jonsbeka
Registered Users

Sounds like you could also do your own version of veggie soup with noodles, as well as black beans and rice soup Dumplings can do a lot for soup if you have the stuff to make them. Another thing you could do if you have chicken bouillon is chickenless noodle (or rice) soup with some of the veggies and with dumplings on top. Sometimes I make it into a cream-of soup by adding evaporated milk and a little flour or cornstarch. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
3rockstars
Registered Users
seller

This may be a dumb question, but how do you do dumplings?
Old 09-06-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
jonsbeka
Registered Users

That's not a dumb question - I had to look it up too! If you work with a bisquick mix it should have instructions on the side, or you can look it up with biscuits in a cookbook or on recipezaar. It's just like biscuits only a little thinner (like drop biscuits instead of rolled and cut), and then you drop it by spoonfuls into the pot (on top of the soup). Close the lid and give it about 12 minutes to cook all the way through. They're to die for! A good hint is that if you can find a biscuit recipe and not a dumpling one, thin it out a little with milk or water until they're sticky and still hold together, though you wouldn't want to hold them in your hands) and call it good. Oh yes, and do this at the end of cooking the soup so they don't way overcook if you have a long cooking soup. I'll find things out the hard way for you, lol!
Old 09-06-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
4chixmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The easiest dumplings ever is to just cut refrigerator biscuits in 1/4, put on top of simmering soup, cover for 15 min., then uncover for 15 more minutes. So yummy, & cheap! If you have V-8 or tomato juice, it makes a good base for soup w/ any veggies, & rice or pasta.
4chixmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
3rockstars
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4chixmama View Post
The easiest dumplings ever is to just cut refrigerator biscuits in 1/4, put on top of simmering soup, cover for 15 min., then uncover for 15 more minutes. So yummy, & cheap! If you have V-8 or tomato juice, it makes a good base for soup w/ any veggies, & rice or pasta.
Ooooh yum!
Old 09-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #9
3rockstars
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsbeka View Post
That's not a dumb question - I had to look it up too! If you work with a bisquick mix it should have instructions on the side, or you can look it up with biscuits in a cookbook or on recipezaar. It's just like biscuits only a little thinner (like drop biscuits instead of rolled and cut), and then you drop it by spoonfuls into the pot (on top of the soup). Close the lid and give it about 12 minutes to cook all the way through. They're to die for! A good hint is that if you can find a biscuit recipe and not a dumpling one, thin it out a little with milk or water until they're sticky and still hold together, though you wouldn't want to hold them in your hands) and call it good. Oh yes, and do this at the end of cooking the soup so they don't way overcook if you have a long cooking soup. I'll find things out the hard way for you, lol!
Thanks, I felt really really stupid! It sounds yummy. Kinda like having a nice creamy soup with some chunks of bread. I'll have to try that. Sounds like it would make a thinner soup more substantial for a meal too!
Old 09-06-2007, 06:24 PM   #10
Misty589
Registered Users

4 cups beef broth (I use 4 cups water and 6 bouillon cubes or 6 tsp dry bouillon) you could use veggie
6 cups of Water
For both of these I use the water drained off of the canned veggies and the cooking water from the potatoes and carrots, if there isn't enough just add some plain water.
1 1/2 - 2 oz of dry onion soup mix
1 small onion diced finely
14 0z jar of tomato sauce
1 can tomato soup
1 can each of corn, peas, green beans
2 med potatoes and one large carrot cubed very small and cooked until tender
*you could use frozen mixed veggies in place of what i have here, it would be a little bit cheaper, but we really prefer it this way.
3/4 cup of pasta OR 1/2 cup pasta and 1/4 cup barley
I use elbow macaroni because it is cheap and they all taste the same anyway, but you could use whatever is in your cupboard. If you can find alphabet pasta it would make it fun for the kids, but i couldn't find any.

You simply put all of this in a big pot on the stove, and simmer until the pasta is cooked. Sometimes if I have a can of diced tomatoes I throw that in too but make sure to use the juice from the tomatoes toward your amount of water so it doesn't get too watery.
The onion flavor is quite noticeable if you eat it right away, but if it is allowed to cool over night in the fridge the flavors really meld and it is extra delicious!!
Misty589 is offline   Reply With Quote