Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
mom22girls
Registered Users
Formerly: jenmarie
seller

What's the easiest to keep clean?

I am still trying to convince hubby that CDing is the way to go. He's still totally grossed out by dirty, stained diapers, (like HE'LL be cleaning them, anyway!) I've ordered a sample package with FB, BG, MotherEase, and HH, all pockets. I never even considered using prefolds bc I just assumed that you had to pin, and I know he wouldn't go for that. But then I actually looked into it, and see that you can just fold it in a soft cover, no pins, right? What's the easiest to keep clean? Seems like pockets and AIOs are doomed to end up stained, whereas if we use prefolds and covers, we can replace prefolds as needed. Also, do covers need to be changed each time, or can they last a few changes? I am so overwhelmed by all of the choices! I have a dd who's 10 months, and another due in January, so I'm hoping to get all of this figured out sooner than later! Thanks for your help!

Advertisement

Last edited by mom22girls; 09-06-2007 at 12:58 PM.
mom22girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
hsjwmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What's the easiest to keep clean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmarie View Post
Also, do covers need to be changed each time, or can they last a few changes? I am so overwhelmed by all of the choices!
Old 09-06-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
McKenzie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would say PFs are the easiest to clean and are also the most versatile. You can bleach your PFs if you need to without worrying about ruining the elastic or PUL. Plus, you can dye them! And you can either use covers and "regular" clothes or, my favorite, WOOL!!!

oops... forgot - covers do last a few changes, unless they get poopy on them! I had a few and would change them with the PF so they could "air out" but only washed them after they had been worn a few times or were dirty.

Last edited by McKenzie; 09-06-2007 at 01:38 PM.
McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Flufflove
Registered Users
seller

Flats are even easier to clean than prefolds, and no more difficult to use than pockets--just fold them and lay them in the cover.
Flufflove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
mom22girls
Registered Users
seller

OK, so what exactly is a wool longie/shortie? I know what they look like, but what is the purpose? Do they act as covers? Oh, I'm getting more and more confused!
Old 09-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #6
Rach988
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yes, they are covers. when lanolized, they are waterproof. people usually use prefolds or fitteds with them.
Rach988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
adrocksmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can keep anything stain free. Just use liners
adrocksmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:59 PM   #8
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Easiest to clean, no hassle, worry free and stress free diapers are both flats and prefolds. Flats you can fold the size of a prefold so it would fit into a cover trifolded the same as a prefold. Prefolds and flats are the cheapest way to go. You don't have to replace them if you don't want to. They last for years and years. You don't have to change your cover everytime unless it's soiled or wet. If it's just wet you can hang it up to dry and use it again later. If your DH is like mine and throws the covers in the pail every time you might want to stock up on covers but you really can get away with probably about six total. If you're diapering one baby you can easily get by with a stash of two dozen prefolds and six covers and you can do that for under $100. Wish I would have known that/thought this route to begin with.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:05 PM   #9
Shanna&threeboys
Registered Users
seller

Yup, flats or prefolds. We started out with pockets and spent a TON of money trying different expensive things. I had a tough time keeping pockets buildup and smell free. Guess what we use now? 18 prefolds and 10 assorted covers. They come clean every single time and I rarely get stains. I wish that I had just done this to begin with- I would have saved lots and lots of money!

I pin, snappi, or trifold, depending on my mood. Prefolds are really versatile like that.

And you can always add a liner of stay-dry doubler if you want the stay-dry effect of a pocket.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #10
mom22girls
Registered Users
seller

Favorite covers?