Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2007, 03:12 PM   #11
lucymae
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's the easiest to keep clean?

my favorite cover is a thirsties , bummis super wisper wrap is a close second ( I love the frog print:-)

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #12
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm new to CD but of my stash (HH pockets, bumkins AIO, prefolds, drybees AIO) the most stain free is my HH pockets. Now tlhe microfiber inserts have stains, but if you stuff them before he sees them... The fleece liner has never held the poop stain. tHat said, I'm very lazy. Sunning my stuff for even a few hours here on a sunny day in TN has taken all the stain out. This includes on her cloths. I'm not so concerned because it's our poop stain and it doesn't bother me or DH. I may sun some soon just to periodically disinfect.

My DH was so on board CD. But it may help yours if you chart out that Pampers are ~18 for 80 and you go through maybe one bag a week, but you're going to pay only x amount for CD... We're slated to break even when she's about 7 or 8 months and that's because I keep buying more! Ultra cheap more, but we would have broken even sooner if I'd known and understood diaper swappers sooner. Most of my stash is brand new.
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #13
j9_shooter9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Prefolds rock! You DON'T worry about the stains, no elastic to try to get the poo out of. I wish I would have stuck with them. that's all I had in the beginning, then went crazy trying new things. I'm back to mostly using prefolds now. Love them.

Yes you can just tri-fold them into a wrap. No pins. Snappis are pretty easy to figure out though....

As for wool, LOVE it!!! It breathes, is naturally anti-bacterial, and you don't have to wash it like other covers. Of course you do when pee gets on it, but you can wear them over and over for quite a while before they need washed. Because of the natural anti-bacterial property, when pee dries on it, the smell goes away. You know it's time to wash when the smell stays.

There are some good wool wraps too.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:31 PM   #14
DKnightSkye
Registered Users
seller

All in ones are easiest, but take the longest to dry. Pockets are great (my favorite is Fuzzi Bunz out of the sample pack you ordered) because it has snaps so the Velcro doesn't snag on anything or wear down in the laundry. You don't have to worry if DH remembered to fold it over to the laundry tabs or anything like that. Haute Pocket is a close second as it's one size, but I found even on large it's about the same as a Medium Fuzzi Bunz. the pocket location is more obnoxious on the HP. the nice thing about pockets is if you stuff them after you are done washing them (if you use the dryer to dry you should wait about an hour so it doesn't stress the PUL (waterproof layer) before stuffing) But if you stuff them all at once then lay a cloth washcloth in and fold it up it's ready to go when you need it, goes on like a disposable and comes off like one too. SUPER easy to use! (I keep a sports top type bottle with water in it for getting the wipe wet and that way I don't have to worry about mildewing wipes in the diaper bag or trying to find the wipe container etc.)

DS has been in the Medium since about 7 months (when we first started) and the Medium still would fit my 3.5 year old (though it's a bit tight) so there's a LONG use of the same set of diapers. A friend had a 9# baby and was able to start with the Mediums at birth by snapping the waist snaps over each other (crossing them) The nice thing to that is both your DC would be in the same diaper size so no searching for the right diaper for the right kid.

Prefolds are easier to keep clean because as was said you can bleach them, but they tend to be a bit less daddy/babysitter/grandma friendly.

My favorite cover is the Classic ProRap. Nice waterproof slick inside with leg gussets to keep mess in. the problem is it's Velcro and around 10.5 months my DS learned how to undo them if I didn't have both a onesie and shorts or pants on him. That's the other advantage to snaps, they are harder for babies to undo themselves. I may be the only one on the planet that doesn't like the Bummis whisper wrap, but I found it didn't work well for a boy at all and the inner liner retains a bit of moisture so I always had to change the cover too.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:29 PM   #15
abacus2
Registered Users
seller

Prefolds are super easy to clean and the high quality Chinese and Indian ones are very absorbant. I like the one-size WonderWrap covers and Wiggleworm Bottom covers. Bummis are absolutely perfect on my 3 yr old, but I don't like the fit on my younger dd at all (I sold the one I had in her size).
Old 09-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #16
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love my prefolds and that's almost all I use now. I have proraps cover which I use mainly at night and thirsties covers which I really like too. I really like thirsties covers because they fit well under regular clothes easily. I have also recently gotten into wool, but I mostly use that when we are at home, although if I keep buying cute stuff she'll definitely be wearing it out.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:14 AM   #17
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

IMO Motherease Airflow are the best PUL covers out there, esp. for prefolds. I love wool too!

I will second, and third, and fifteenth, all the suggestions for prefolds. If they get too stained or dingy - bleach 'em! And you can machine-dry them without waiting all day for them to get done or worrying about ruining them. AND, they will last forever - you can use them on successive kids, and even future generations! There are no closures or elastic to wear out, so really it's just a matter of how long it takes for them to totally disintegrate.

But when it comes down to it, all diapers come clean in the wash, (if not, there's something wrong with your washer!) so no need for DH to worry about handling nasty diapers - except on the trip to the diaper pail of course! You don't need to touch them to get them into the washer either: just pick up the pail and dump it in! Besides, anything that gets poop on it is gonna stain, and you can try to avoid or erase the stains, but in the end, does it really matter? It's just gonna get pooped on again anyway!

Remind DH of the insane cost of sposies if he still needs more convincing for cloth. Also remind him of all the stinky trash HE'LL have to lug to the curb if you're constantly throwing diapers away.
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:44 AM   #18
evandmp
Surrounded by Geminis!
seller

My Mood:

I used fitteds and have no stains. I wash with dawn. They go in dirty and come out clean, lol.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:50 AM   #19
Pookamama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Prefolds are great, we use them all the time. We use proraps covers and they haven't disappointed us yet.

And you mentioned pins. . .I didn't want to pin, so instead I Snappi.
http://www.snappibaby.com/generic0.html
The Snappi is so easy, and no poking the baby. You can buy them many places.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:15 AM   #20
Claire and Boys
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have used pockets, fitteds, flats and prefolds - I don't have any stains at all.
Sposies are imo way more gross. You still have to deal with poo either way but it does not stink the same way in cloth for me.