Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

x-post: Please share all of your nightweaning tips! (especially co-sleepers!)

(x-posting this here because I didn't even think about the BF'ing board when I put it in the Parenting one!)

I'd really like to start working on nightweaning DD. Don't worry, I'm fully aware that it will only work well if she is ready, but for my sanity I need to start doing SOMETHING. So please, hit me with all your tips, especially if you co-sleep!!

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
twinsplus2more
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: x-post: Please share all of your nightweaning tips! (especially co-sleepers!)

I have none

that is why I am exhausted!
twinsplus2more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:13 PM   #3
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: x-post: Please share all of your nightweaning tips! (especially co-sleepers!)

what helped us is my dh started taking over bedtime-your dd may be a little young yet but this helped us greatly and brought them even closer too
Old 09-06-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
Car's Mama
Registered Users
seller

Man oh man, will I be lurking on this thread... I'm 9 weeks pregnant and my almost 18 month old dd is still nursing anywhere from 1-3 times a night, this is just not something I can do when baby comes so our preliminary plan is to have me sleep in another room the week between Christmas and New Years (when my DH will be on vacation) and have him deal with all night wakings that week and then there will be boob overnight... I'm praying it will go smoothly but would love to hear all other tips too.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #5
mama2c&a
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsplus2more View Post
I have none

that is why I am exhausted!
Same here!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:25 PM   #6
yotricia02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Me too! Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2c&a View Post
Same here!
Old 09-07-2007, 12:10 AM   #7
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Well first off, wear a shirt to bed, so it isn't help yourself/ open bar. I wore a tank with a built in bra. I wish DH could have taken over bed times when we were weaning, but with his schedule that didn't work for us. We cut out middle of the night nursing first. I would gently tell him we aren't nursing and he would fuss and I would just hold him till he fell to sleep... that was only a couple of times, then he just accepted it and after a few more nights stopped asking. Then I cut out nursing in the morning and would read him books and cuddle in bed when we first woke up instead. The last was going to sleep without nursing. We would do our whole night time thing, brushing teeth, laying down and talking, then reading a few books, then a story, then sing a song... he still wanted to nurse. He threw a fit and cried to sleep a few times, that was hard for both of us. He did let me put an arm around him. It took less than 2 weeks to night wean him. Consistency is the key. He needs to know what to expect. It was harder for him to switch back and forth between when he "got to" nurse, and I think it would have been easier for him if I had been more consistent, but all in all it went pretty well. Being sick and pg was my big motivation. I tried to make sure he never felt abandoned or lacking in affection. I hope that makes sense, it is late and I am tired. HTH!

ETA: This was right around DS#2's 2nd birthday. We cosleep. DS#1 nightweaned himself at about a year old. We coslept then, too.

Last edited by Prettylocks; 09-07-2007 at 12:40 AM.
Prettylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:16 AM   #8
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

My DS was down to 1 or 2 night feedings tops when he was about a year old, and even then, he wasn't getting much. So I replaced the feedings with a drink of water, and BAM. That was all it took. Looking back, I wish I hadn't been so quick to give him something else because I wasn't really ready to wean (those were the only times he ever nursed by that age), but I felt like he was thirsty and I knew he wasn't getting anything out of me.
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:30 AM   #9
Delaney21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We love Dr. Jay Gordon! He has a night weaning plan that we plan to use when DS is older. Here is a link to it: http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp
Delaney21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:53 AM   #10
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Thanks everyone! I do always wear a shirt to bed but she's a master at getting past it. LOL I've played around with Dr. Gordon's method before but I have difficulty being awake enough to deal with the middle of the night stuff...and what's harder, DD is a protestor and will scream her head off if I tell her milk is sleeping or something (because she's just downright MAD), and we live in an apartment surrounded by other units so that's really difficult to manage.