Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:34 AM   #1
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is there anything that "looks" like lice, but isn't?

My daughter has these clearish white things in her hair, they are stuck to the hairs themselves, more like to the side of the hair, and I can pull them off with my fingernail. She says her hair is not itchy at ALL, so I don't know if she could just have something that looks like lice eggs? I know from a lice outbreak when I was a kid, that the eggs usually concentrate themselves around the base of the neck and ears (warm spots) but most of these things are on the top of her head, and very visible. I'm freaking out here, and need some advice/reassurance.

Advertisement

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
Monkeytaylz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is there anything that "looks" like lice, but isn't?

hmmm....in my experience, if it looks like nits, it's a good chance it is. not everyone gets itchy...and them little buggers love clean heads and hair. usually nits are teardrop shaped, very small, and can range in color..white, yellow, clear, brownish. you can do a web search to find pics.
Monkeytaylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
jennywymore
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infecti...mmon/lice.html
according the this website, it looks like lice, they say it might not itch right away. I sure hope its not, lice is horrible worse than a cold or the flu.
You need to wash every blanket and towel and put all the stuffed animals in tight garbage bags for 2 weeks. Wash all clothes in hot water. Vacume and clean the house with bleach. Treat her hair and comb them all out. Even your hair and your kids and husbands.
I will pray for you , hang in there.
jennywymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

YES!!!!!!!! They could be hair casts! Google it, aside from looking terrible they are harmless. My oldest daughter has had them since she was 7 years old (she is 10 now.) She's been to a few different dermatologists who all gave her different prescriptions and none of them have worked. There are harsher chemicals we can try but have chosen not to go that route. Her last derm said that he has never seen an adult with this condition so that he is sure she will outgrow it. Yes, it sucks, but there's not much else we can do.

Keep an eye on it; make sure it's not nits/lice. Hair casts cannot be washed out but they can be easily picked out where as nits are like cement in hair.

ETA: I don't mind sharing our whole story here about how we discovered them, got diagnosed, and how we treated them if you want to know, but it's a really long story and I don't know how much it would help you since nothing we have done has gotten rid of them.

Last edited by Psychomom; 09-07-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Psychomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
YES!!!!!!!! They could be hair casts! Google it, aside from looking terrible they are harmless. My oldest daughter has had them since she was 7 years old (she is 10 now.) She's been to a few different dermatologists who all gave her different prescriptions and none of them have worked. There are harsher chemicals we can try but have chosen not to go that route. Her last derm said that he has never seen an adult with this condition so that he is sure she will outgrow it. Yes, it sucks, but there's not much else we can do.

Keep an eye on it; make sure it's not nits/lice. Hair casts cannot be washed out but they can be easily picked out where as nits are like cement in hair.

ETA: I don't mind sharing our whole story here about how we discovered them, got diagnosed, and how we treated them if you want to know, but it's a really long story and I don't know how much it would help you since nothing we have done has gotten rid of them.
Oh thank you SO much for sharing this! I'm really thinking this might be what it is! I googled and found pictures and they look like nits, but like you said, they can be picked out easily, which my daughter's can. I'm going to look again closely when my DD gets home.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My thought was cradle crap or dandruff?
Old 09-09-2007, 01:08 AM   #7
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It turned out to be lice. We spent hours last night picking nits, and again today I spent over an hour going through her hair. What a pain.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:13 AM   #8
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raelynn View Post
It turned out to be lice. We spent hours last night picking nits, and again today I spent over an hour going through her hair. What a pain.
Oh I'm sorry I know what a pain and hastle that is!! I was gonna say it sounds like the very early stages of lice, hopefully you caught it early enough that it's easy to get rid of!
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:10 AM   #9
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

Yes, my son had that-no eggs at the base of his neck, only on the middle to ends of his strands, and I could get them off with no issues at all-the peds office told me it must be dandruff and not to worry. Well, when I found out he was the only one in his 2nd grade class to NOT get them, I was sure that was what it was, so I treated him anyway. Then I was nursing my toddler and noticed the same on his almost bald little head, so I picked up the phone and called the ask a nurse place and she suggested that I put a lamp as close to his head as possible without burning him to see if the eggs would hatch due to the heat-talk about gross! I watched these things hatch right on my son's head! Try to treat a squirming toddler with that stuff-not easy to do, I ended up using vaseline and covering with a shower cap over night cuz I was afraid to put RID on him.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:33 AM   #10
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I'm so sorry! Try to look on the (semi) bright side--at least you don't have to deal with the unsightliness of hair casts for the next several years!