Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
redheadedangels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Angry UGGHHH spent WAY to much on groceries yesterday!

I went WAY over budget!! I spent a total of about $167 and had only wanted to spend about $75

I got alot of stuff though. This should last 2 weeks except for fruits/veggis/dairy. Those are what makes my total so high though! I also stocked up on some pilgrims pride chicken and those are kinda pricey so that added alot. Also I stocked up on some staples like wheat flour, white flour, flax seed, sugar, olive oil, bisquick....i don't usually have to buy that kind of stuff cause we normally have it. The olive oil alone is nearly $10!!
And i can't BELIEVE how pricey almonds are! My dh likes to eat them and you get a small container of them for nearly $7! And lets see...i got a HUGE box of the whole wheat goldfish...that big box will last near a month...then all the fruit about killed me! $6 for strawberries, $5 for grapes, $5 for pears, at least the bananas were cheap! And luckily fresh veggies aren't as much as fruit! I got romaine lettuce, carrots, green pepper, purple onion tomatoes for around $6. And i can not skimp on deli meat. I just can't eat nasty generic processed sandwich meat. So i get good smoked turkey thats like $7 a pound! But thats cheaper than a bunch of tv dinner meals that i would like to get myself! I love the stouffer frozen meals. I think i need to make my grocery budget bigger. Cause we almost ALWAYS go over what i'm supposed to spend. Why does everything have to cost so much!! I've been buying organic milk, yogurts and meat. Everything else i buy as cheap as possible (the whole wheat versions though).

anyways i bought lots more stuff than what i mentioned but those things were some of the pricier things. Well execept for the dang yogurts! my yougest dd LOVES LOVES yogurt. And i prefer to buy her the organic stoneyfield brand ones. Or the yobaby.

i didnt' really buy any junk either. I did buy 1 bag of funyons for my son to take to school today. He will share them with a couple of his friends. They are having a read-in day. They bring blankets, pillows, snacks and books. And they read nearly the whole day. And i bought 2 bags of choc chips to make some homemade cookies. I bought some frozen pizzas and pilgrims pride chicken strips and nuggets for those nights i need dinner fast and didn't prepare ahead of time. Instead of going thru drivethrus kwim? the pilgrims pride brand is way healthier than the normal nuggets my store sells. but they are a bit pricier.

anyways i HAVE to trim it down. There were lots of things i could have not bought had we NOT had the money but hate having to scrimp on food!

Advertisement

redheadedangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
bnew
Registered Users
seller

Re: UGGHHH spent WAY to much on groceries yesterday!

I get our whole natural almonds (1 lb.) at CVS believe it or not, for $5.99 I think, and often have a coupon... Way better deal. Or a 2lb bag at BJs for 9.99.
Sorry you over spent, hope it lasts!

"Teacher says, every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings..." All bells are now banned in my house!
bnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
redheadedangels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we dont' have either of those stores here...is cvs like a walgreens?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like you need to switch stores...try out Save-a-Lot or Aldi's...and start collecting coupons for those things you have to have in name brand (some things just aren't the same when generic ) Make sure to buy your meats near expiration and as for milk~invest in one gallon and 1 big box of dry milk....it saves money & the dry milk really goes awhile! Lets see...you can get a coupon for the yobaby here: http://www.stonyfield.com/OurProducts/YoBabyPlus.cfm

Now go back on your list and see what cost the most and see how you can replace that. Ex: you buy canned beans....replace w/dry beans. Also, see what things you can make homemade: biscuits, muffin mixes, brownie mixes, cream of soups, gatorade At least you got some staples though

Last edited by CrunchyMama0607; 09-07-2007 at 11:08 AM.
CrunchyMama0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

Everything is so expensive!!! Good luck next time momma!
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
Bunny
Be strong little marshmallow.
Formerly: s**e**h
seller

totally off topic - but that is so cool that your DS's school does a read-in day! My mom is an elementary school librarian and she will LOVE that idea (I'm calling her right now to tell her!)
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
redheadedangels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by earth_mama06 View Post
Sounds like you need to switch stores...try out Save-a-Lot or Aldi's...and start collecting coupons for those things you have to have in name brand (some things just aren't the same when generic ) Make sure to buy your meats near expiration and as for milk~invest in one gallon and 1 big box of dry milk....it saves money & the dry milk really goes awhile! Lets see...you can get a coupon for the yobaby here: http://www.stonyfield.com/OurProducts/YoBabyPlus.cfm

Now go back on your list and see what cost the most and see how you can replace that. Ex: you buy canned beans....replace w/dry beans. Also, see what things you can make homemade: biscuits, muffin mixes, brownie mixes, cream of soups, gatorade At least you got some staples though
Thanks for the good ideas! We have an aldis here but i don't like to get anything fresh there like fruit/veggies or meat cause the quality doesn't seem to be very good. But canned or boxed items would be okay. However the prices doesn't seem to be much better than like walmart around here. I've thought about trying some dry milk. Does dry milk come organic? I normally buy organic milk which i can only find in 1/2 gallons here. I hate the thought of my kids drinking milk with antibiotics and all that other stuff! We actually don't eat alot of meat. I normally stock up on some ground beef when on sale and divide into smaller portions. And it last a LONG LONG time cause we dont' eat alot of it. And i buy chicken breasts in Large pkgs and divide into small bags as well and freeze. The chicken and beef last a long time here. I do buy some convenience foods such as chicken nuggets, chicken strips, frozen pizzas, and some other frozen things. Those are mainly for those days when i have a headache...dont' feel like cooking and would rather do a drive thru LOL! So i pop something quick and easy into the oven instead. But that doesn't happen alot. Sometimes for quick eats before boyscouts or soccer or whatever....So though i did spend quite a bit on that stuff this grocery trip, it will last for awhile.

What really adds up on my normal grocery bill (aside from stocking up on frozen foods or meats) is fruit. I spend so much on it but my kids love it. So i hate to NOT get it kwim? Also the yogurt. I eat alot of yogurt as well but have been cutting down on the ones i eat to save a little money and so i can make sure i buy enough for annika. I buy some fresh veggies but alot i buy frozen. If we're gonna eat it raw i like to buy it fresh...like carrots, brocoli, peppers, cauliflower, salad stuff....but stuff like corn on the cob, corn, peas, greanbeans...i buy those frozen. I don't like canned veggies. I get alot of dry beans and use those alot for larger meals. The beans i buy canned are blackeyed peas for me (one of the few i like and i'm trying to get more fiber in LOL) so i heat a can up sometimes for lunch to eat with rice. I also buy black beans in a can cause my dh uses them on his mexican pizzas. But when i make soups, stews, chilis...things like that i do use my dry beans.

i've not tried making cream soups homemade or bisquick mix. I could try that. I do buy brownie mixes and cake mixes. Never have made those homemade LOL! Could be worth a try though. Cookies and muffins are made homemade here though except for times when muffin mix is on sale for super cheap prices. I like to stock up on those for quick breakfasts or snacks.

I feel like we eat alot better than we used to with healthier homemade meals and snacks but now my grocery budget seems to be shot!

There are lots of things i need to cut probly ~ alot of it is my dh's snacks and foods He doesn't have to eat such expensive stuff though he thinks he does LOL!

Well i've written a novel here so i better go check on my kids...they probly need lunch or something LOL
Old 09-07-2007, 11:34 AM   #8
redheadedangels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlaelizabeth View Post
totally off topic - but that is so cool that your DS's school does a read-in day! My mom is an elementary school librarian and she will LOVE that idea (I'm calling her right now to tell her!)
yeah they do it 3 or 4 times a year. My son really looks foward to it. Its a fun day for him and the other kids and they get alot of reading in Plus its the only days they are allowed to bring chips and soda Normally they can bring healthy snacks (they have a late lunch so they get a snack late in the morning) and never any soda.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, you can cut alot of $ off your bill by making homemade brownies and your own cream of soups A little too late now but if you have a Kroger nearby, they were still having a good sale.

I'm not sure if they make the dry milk in organic...Hmmm that'd be nice though! I get mine from savealot and i don't think they sell it there but walmart should have it.

As for your DH's snacks....could you make those homemade and freeze um? Maybe make a huge batch of cookies, buy some cheap string cheese, and generic yogurts. And for breads~if you have a bread store nearby its much cheaper. I feel ya on the convience foods..I completly cut them out of our list and ugh it gets exhausting! For the frozen pizzas you could buy some bagels, pizza toppings and make your own for prob cheaper.

http://www.shopnatural.com/Merchant2...roduct_Count=2

Hope that helped! I'm off to the consignment sale, WOOOOHOO!
Old 09-07-2007, 11:44 AM   #10
katzmark06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

make your own yougart!