Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
4xMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Have to cancel the birthday party!!

I just can't afford it now!!! I had to get glasses, and it turns out the place I went to isn't on my insurance, so I won't get reimbursed!! I am soooo upset right now!

I have some stuff to put up FSOT, but I'm wondering if it's even worth it, as most stuff isn't selling!!!

I just wanna cry. It's his first birthday!! I wasn't planning anything big, but feeding 25-30 people will still get a little pricey!!!

Advertisement

read Thrifty Thoughts and Common Cents!
4xMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Have to cancel the birthday party!!

can you make it potluck? i know it might cut down on the pressies he gets, but its important to have that first birthday party... I hope things get better! I understand the glasses stuff
Old 09-09-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
SewWhatMama
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Just do a cake and ice cream party! You can even bake your own cakes for the guests and buy a small one for you DC to dig into (gotta have those pictures!!) You can pick up cheap cake plates and some two litres. Should be able to throw that together for $20 or less.
SewWhatMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
Mommy2Austin
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think both ideas are great! People (especially family and friends) can understand being tight on money. You can send invitations by email if everyone has email addresses!
Old 09-09-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

Still do something, even if it is just close family and cake and ice cream. Get the 99 cent box and make it yourself if you have to! You will really want that memory/pictures!!

about your insurance..did they mislead you? Were you somehow misinformed? Seems odd you would go to a place not on your insurance and not know about it?
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #6
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2-3boys View Post
Just do a cake and ice cream party! You can even bake your own cakes for the guests and buy a small one for you DC to dig into (gotta have those pictures!!) You can pick up cheap cake plates and some two litres. Should be able to throw that together for $20 or less.
I have done this many times.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xMommy View Post
I just can't afford it now!!! I had to get glasses, and it turns out the place I went to isn't on my insurance, so I won't get reimbursed!! I am soooo upset right now!

I have some stuff to put up FSOT, but I'm wondering if it's even worth it, as most stuff isn't selling!!!

I just wanna cry. It's his first birthday!! I wasn't planning anything big, but feeding 25-30 people will still get a little pricey!!!

First, the baby won't remember, though I understand the sentiment. Second, just ask for people to do a pot luck. Most are very willing. I've never been big on forcing one person to feed the masses.
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #8
sweetppolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We always just do a family party for the first birthday. I would vote that you could always have it at home or a park that doesn't cost anything here. My mother always volunteers to make the cake; so, grandma or another relative might be wanting to do that for your lo. It makes it special for them too! We always put "no gifts please" on the invites and that makes it not such a big deal that you don't go overboard with presents. Just brainstorm, I bet you come up with some neat ideas.
sweetppolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
4xMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm going to try to come up with something. Even just immediate family is such a circus, though! We each have two sets of parents, and then between us, there are 10 brothers and sisters, and eight nieces/nephews!! It's crazy!!

I was only planning on a pasta bar and a meatball pot, with bread. I would make the cake myself...we'll have to see what happens!

As for the glasses, I wasn't misinformed or anything. Our insurance changed recently, and the vision benefits are nothing to shout about. My DDs glasses cost me $75 at the eye doctor who is on the insurance.

We have to use up our Flexible Spending Benefits, and I really needed glasses, so I thought I would get the 2/$69.95 deal at America's Best, since it would be less than at the eye doctor, and I would get two pair of glasses. I couldn't get through to see what was left in our Flex account, I was guesstimating about $100. Well, turns out there was only $51 in the account (I only found out about this after I paid OOP for the glasses)

I came home and checked Aetna's website, and America's Best isn't under our list of vision providers.

I really appreciate all the ideas...I honestly don't think our people would go for pot luck, I wonder if just cake and ice cream would be cool. I'm just thinking that at the time of day the party would be (3-6 PM), people would want to be fed, you know?

read Thrifty Thoughts and Common Cents!
4xMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
kimmyjling
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Gosh, I remember what a horrible place we were in on his first birthday. We dont even have family here to celebrate with! We had a $1 totinos pizza between the 4 of us (SIL mooched lived with us at that time), dollar store devils food cake, and a day full of naughty, messy things. He took a bath in the kitchen sink, played with balls of playdough, ripped all the balls of the xmas tree.... Even though it was one of the saddest days for me, and I understand exactly how you feel, looking back on all the pictures-he is wearing a smile in every one of them!

You can still make it really special for him-they dont care about the money, just the love! ((((HUGS)))) Who says you have to feed everyone? Plan it AFTER dinner, and stress CAKE PARTY on the invite. Cheese and crackers can go a long way for those who forgot!

See?! You cant even tell I only have $8 in my bank account!!
kimmyjling is offline   Reply With Quote