Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2007, 06:05 PM   #11
usnkbaal
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Have to cancel the birthday party!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGierald View Post
can you make it potluck? i know it might cut down on the pressies he gets, but its important to have that first birthday party... I hope things get better! I understand the glasses stuff
That is what we did for ds#1's first. We had velvetta and salsa stuff with chips and other people brought stuff and I made my own cake! I think cake and icecream would be fine you can even find those big buckets of icecream for like 5 at walmart!

Advertisement

Last edited by usnkbaal; 09-09-2007 at 06:06 PM.
usnkbaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:07 PM   #12
De-lovely
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Make the party 2-4 instead so after lunch and before dinner with just cake and ice cream.....people shoudlnt EXPECT to be fed at a one year old b-day party much past cake and ice cream....
Niki: single, divorced, missin' CD's, no vax, no circ, wish I coulda homeschooled, sneaker obsessed, poet, avid reading, meditating, sometimes knitting, music junkie, film enthusiast WOHmama to Emma 11/28/03, Elena 11/28/04, Quinn 4/22/06 and Cora 10/26/07...
De-lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #13
Amberjoe_1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeh we go to cake and ice cream parties all the time! Don't sweat it! people aren't going to be as disappointed as you may think! They probably will think nothing of it.

See what's new @ Monster Fluff Studio's Blog
Amberjoe_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:06 PM   #14
OpenArms
Registered Users
seller

Bah!

There have been lots of times we did not have ANY money for a birthday party. we do 1 of 3 things.

Have a cake and juice only party. No one cares! We have the party at 2 o'clock.
Cake and frosting cost less then 3 dollars to make and juice is 2 dollars. If I happen to have soymilk and fruit on hand I"ll also make homemade ice cream.

or I'll ask one relative to make the cake, one to make the ice cream and one to bring juice.

or I'll make it a potluck.

It's not about the food, it's about honoring your baby!

Alex's birth party was a potluck.

Jarod's 7th birthday was cake and punch only. Those decoration I've had for years and reuse. The shrek cutouts are from a coloring book we had and the cake cost less then 5 dollars to make.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:17 PM   #15
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

awwww I'm so sorry momma big hugs! in the meantime, maybe you can make him a homemade cake @ home and let him have a go at it?
Old 09-10-2007, 12:00 AM   #16
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I really recommend having a party from like 1-3pm or 2-4pm, cuz then you can get away with just the cake, ice cream, and maybe come juice of sorts (buy some frozen juice things and some ginger ale and make punch even). Decorate with maybe just a few balloons that you blew up yourself. Parties can be cheap. I hope that you have a nice party. If you were selling anything in a M/L or Large then maybe I could help you out some, but I don't see any listed. LOL!
Old 09-10-2007, 12:44 AM   #17
Tiredmama
Registered Users
seller

I don't have parties for my girls at all...they don't need them, and they won't remember them either. This year for DD 2nd birthday I took her shopping at the thrift store (she thinks it is the coolest place) she got to get a garbage truck which she has been wanting for a while, a bag of about 8 beanie babies and a bag of different kinds of balls. I think I spent about $6 total and she thought it was the coolest thing. When money is tight you just have to do what you need to do. This was an adventure for her and she got to pick out what she wanted and I didn't have to worry so much about not having enough money. When they are so little they don't really remember it anyway.

Spend your money on things that you need and don't try to impress other people so much...this really helps.

Malissa
Tiredmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:02 AM   #18
shutterbugmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you have Ci-Ci's pizza where you live? (or Papa Murphy's?) We bought like 10 pizzas for next to NOTHING...$30 maybe? We might have also had a coupon...

It's not about being stressed and feeding people anyway, it's about honoring your babe like a pp said! If people don't get that or refuse to help, shame on them!!

Sar
Old 09-10-2007, 08:32 PM   #19
mom2kaydncolt
Registered Users
seller

I agree with the smaller cake and ice cream party. I am very big into honoring the kids' birthdays. Last year we spent a bit more on the party than we'll be able to this year but it was his first and he and the other kids enjoyed it - though NONE of them will ever remember it. This year he's having a Thomas party, I'm buying a used train shape cake pan off CL, and will come up with a few games and activities for the kids to do. The guest list will be short and sweet - just a few of his friends and their parents. And yes my almost two year old has friends! lol I'm even hoping to get a few of his gifts used off CL or freecycle, we'll see. Just something small for pictures sake would be perfectly fine and if family can't understand that you can't afford to feed everyone the boo to them.
mom2kaydncolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #20
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

You know a cheap way to feed everyone, maybe not the healthiest, but cheap....go and buy a big box of spaghetti noodles, just a few bucks and then go to your local super walmart if you don't have anything against them, and buy their big cans of spaghetti sauce for a buck a can have a big spaghetti feed, and then make cupcakes for the guests, nix the ice cream and make your babe a cheap little cake so they have one to themselves....KWIM.

This will cost you in the long run maybe 20 bucks??? Tops, and serve water...and if that is not good enough, tough luck!
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote