Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #21
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to get the grocery bill down from $200 a week?

as far as menus--- look for the $5 meal thread and crockpot thread for meal ideas.

an example:: buy 1 whole chicken. maybe some BBQ sauce and some lettuce,tomato, mayo. There ya go-- you got maybe drumsticks for dinner, BBQ shredded chicken for lunch and then a chicken sandwhich the next day---3 meals just from 1 whole chicken and im sure you can make MANY more from it as well.

Advertisement

Birdof1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:59 AM   #22
keeperof3angels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow we spend that much in a month...maybe 250 a month at most and we have four kids (one is bf only). Do you completely empty your pantry before you go to the store? That's one thing that I tend to do and then I realize what all is in there that we really don't need again. I buy only can veggies, except for lettuce and carrots for salads and things. I find the less often I go to the store the better off I am. If I go once a month then I spend less, well I spend more in the one trip but if I go twice a week i'll spend 50-75 each time, verses a one time $200 trip, know what I mean. I usually don't go to the store again unless we need milk or bread and then I just go in for those items or stop by a convienient store even though it's more it beats risking buying 10 other items at the grocery store I didn't NEED Where are you located at? We are in Florida...maybe items are more expensive where you are because I am just wowed by this

Hope you get a system that works

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybutterflymama View Post
So, I have menus, we don't eat junk food, shop around the outer and don't get really anything from the inner isles and spend $200 easily a week at the grocery. This includes everything, meat, any cleaning products, household products, etc....but from everything I have read that is still high.

We eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies, meat and eat organic as much as possible. How do I cut this bill and still eat healthy and without everyone feeling deprived of fresh fruit and veggies and good meats?

I do cut coupons but we don't buy most of the stuff that is advertised anyway...

Suggestions?

Ashlynn (12/8/00) Jadyn (1/3/03) Madisyn (8/16/05) Gavin (7/10/07)
keeperof3angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #23
jadedhkr
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
what are you growing on the fencing? is that squash/pumpkin? I've grown cukes that way, on a trellis. Good space saver.
I have quite the variety on that thing. lol Several varieties of squash, pumpkins, cukes, small melons, and gourds for crafts

I have way more spaghetti squash than I think we will use, tons of smaller squashes and we had all kinds of pocket melons all summer. What you see now is starting to fade and dry up for the season. I have a larger, fenced in garden to the east of that.

small tip: I planted white carrots this year, no real reason, just because. Well, I have a child who won't touch any veggie that is not a potato, so I grate those white carrots and add them to potato soup, mashed potatoes, etc. lol, ok, back on topic
Venus Vanguard
jadedhkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:48 PM   #24
HBuehler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure how many of the posters realize how severe the drought has been...all the ideas about growing the food? We normally plant a minimum of an acre..factor in the water bill and you have saved NO money and that is IF you are allowed to water...Then with the extreme heat nothing polintated well and where I normally freeze over 200 pounds of corn we got a whopping 25 pounds off the same amount of stalks this year.Not sure where the op is from but here in TN many towns would turn off your water for watering that tomato plant and broccoli will become so bitter in over 100 degree heat it would be awfulHere in TN we sat the record for the hottest August with the most consicutive days over 100 degrees ever and like 5 days under 99 and the dryest with NO rain. and NO humidity(which will keep moisture in the ground longer) We have nearly 10 acres and I challenge anyone to find one blade of green grass.
All fruit varieties in TN were lost this spring to the latest freeze ever
We have lots of apple trees which should be picked any other year right now...ditto on our peach,plum,cherry,pears,strawberries,blueberries and only the very late blueberries produced about half of a normal crop..See we planned ahead many many years ago and all of our fruit is "supposed" to be in production
as the op said there is NO CHEAP produce...even the farmers markets are high
So I'm in her same situation..for the first time in 18 years we have had to buy our veggies and fruit and since there is a shortage and add the fact groceries over the board are higher we also spend no less than $200 a week...we wont eat canned and food from a box(have you ever read those ingredients) No soda here as well.My grocery list is well planned and I use coupons on the very few things that I can.We also pay high sales tax on our food which doesn't help the end total on the bill.I dont buy deli meat-has lots more than meat and its way too expensive for what it is..we buy large cuts and put them on the smoker/bbq and get good sandwich meat!
Today alone my cart had fresh broccoli,squash,onions,sahatiki(sp) mushrooms,peppers,apples,grapes,bannanas,tomatoes, lettauce-the good stuff not iceburg,fresh spinach,carrots All have to be bought fresh you cant get that stuff monthly and this is a huge part of our diet.
I've come to the conclusion the only way to lower the bill is to not eat and not one of us really liked that option Trying to lower the bill would mean eating less fruits and veggies and in all likeleyhood that would lead to other health issues(not getting any younger here) So unfortunately I have no good ideas for you Mother nature has won this round for us as well.
Now...we have to go buy hay shortly for our horses to survive the winter over 400 miles away one way so while we are there I'm going to be bringing home a bunch of new apples and veggies that will help for awhile....just got to find the free weekend.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #25
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:

LOL-- OT but the above poster i got through the first sentence of what you wrote and had to stop- it was all a foreign language to me.. sorry.

ok- back to topic
Birdof1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #26
jadedhkr
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I'm not sure how many of the posters realize how severe the drought has been...all the ideas about growing the food? We normally plant a minimum of an acre..factor in the water bill and you have saved NO money and that is IF you are allowed to water...Then with the extreme heat nothing polintated well and where I normally freeze over 200 pounds of corn we got a whopping 25 pounds off the same amount of stalks this year.Not sure where the op is from but here in TN many towns would turn off your water for watering that tomato plant and broccoli will become so bitter in over 100 degree heat it would be awfulHere in TN we sat the record for the hottest August with the most consicutive days over 100 degrees ever and like 5 days under 99 and the dryest with NO rain. and NO humidity(which will keep moisture in the ground longer) We have nearly 10 acres and I challenge anyone to find one blade of green grass.
We have lots of apple trees which should be picked any other year right now...ditto on our peach,plum,cherry,pears,strawberries,blueberries and only the very late blueberries produced about half of a normal crop..See we planned ahead many many years ago and all of our fruit is "supposed" to be in production
So I'm in her same situation..for the first time in 18 years we have had to buy our veggies and fruit and since there is a shortage and add the fact groceries over the board are higher we also spend no less than $200 a week...we wont eat canned and food from a box(have you ever read those ingredients) No soda here as well.My grocery list is well planned and I use coupons on the very few things that I can.We also pay high sales tax on our food which doesn't help the end total on the bill.I dont buy deli meat-has lots more than meat and its way too expensive for what it is..we buy large cuts and put them on the smoker/bbq and get good sandwich meat!
Today alone my cart had fresh broccoli,squash,onions,sahatiki(sp) mushrooms,peppers,apples,grapes,bannanas,tomatoes, lettauce-the good stuff not iceburg,fresh spinach,carrots All have to be bought fresh you cant get that stuff monthly and this is a huge part of our diet.
I've come to the conclusion the only way to lower the bill is to not eat and not one of us really liked that option Trying to lower the bill would mean eating less fruits and veggies and in all likeleyhood that would lead to other health issues(not getting any younger here) So unfortunately I have no good ideas for you Mother nature has won this round for us as well.
Now...we have to go buy hay shortly for our horses to survive the winter over 400 miles away one way so while we are there I'm going to be bringing home a bunch of new apples and veggies that will help for awhile....just got to find the free weekend.
Sorry to hear about that. Here in Michigan we did have drought conditions for some time, that has passed and now we are over the average rainfall, with plenty of mosquitoes to show for it

I don't have a water bill, I have a well, but even so I try to conserve water. I re-route washer water to be filtered and used in the garden. This takes planning and careful use of the right soaps. I also keep watering to a minimum, use soaker hoses, and point of use devices. I do not take the lack of rain lightly. We also have an artesian well on the property, we do not lack in the water department here.

In many parts of the country, growing your own food is a cheap and healthy alternative. It is also a relaxing activity and you get a sense of satisfaction knowing you were able to feed your family in this way.

There is also something called auquaponics, maybe not something for large scale, but a nice alternative for a small operation and the system is cyclical, so after the initial fill, all you have to do is top it off for evaporation.

Also, watering one or two tomato plants on your deck is not going to use a significant amount of water. I'm sure we all use way more for dish washing, showers, and laundry.

And btw, broccoli is a cold veggie, you grow it in early spring or late fall. I do have a variety that grows over the summer and you harvest in winter. Lettuce, broccoli, peas, etc. are all worthless once the temps rise.

sorry for the rant, but telling people growing food is pointless just bothers me.
Venus Vanguard
jadedhkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #27
upstategirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not too good but here are some tips I use to keep the cost down.

1. If I'm not making burgers I will buy ground turkey. At least where I shop it seems to be always cheaper or on sale.

2. When I do buy meat or fish I buy what's on sale. Price Chopper has really good sales and a lot of the time they have buy one get one free. I always do that and stock up.

3. I still use paper towels. I have been meaning to make the switch but, haven't yet. I buy the marcels paper towels. You get four of them for like 2. 99 and they are made from recycled ones.

4. It's only for summer and early fall but, we have a garden with lots of veg in it.

For a family of three I usally spend about 100 or less. Sometimes I will go over but, not by much.
upstategirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #28
happybutterflymama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBuehler View Post
I am in Lebanon, TN as well! I met you at the wal mart and bought some diapers from you. So happy to hear that you spend as much as me! Whew, at least I am not totally alone.

And goodness it was hot! Not as hot as FL but hot nonetheless.

Oh and to who asked, I just moved from central FL and spent around the same amount...maybe a little less because we did not have food tax down there.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #29
DivineNature
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I think it takes flexibility to save money on the grocery bill. I stock up when things go on sale at rock bottom prices. I have 2 fridges and a small chest freezer, that helps. I also have 4 metal shelves in my finished basement for food storage.

I stocked up on blueberries, organic strawberries and other organic berries this summer. They are washed and frozen in vacuum sealed bags for blueberry muffins and smoothies for as long as they last.

I also buy whole chickens and boil 2 at a time in 4 qts of water. I end up with 4-5 quarts of chicken broth and enough meat for about 4-6 meals. I buy ground turkey when it is B1G1F or at Costco.

We stock up on organic bread when it is on sale. Right now it is $1.99 at our health food store. I will fill the freezer before the sale ends.

As for tp, dish soap, laundry soap, trash bags and all that. I stock up when there is a sale and I have coupons to match.

We buy whatever veges are on GOOD sale. This means we can get organic or locally grown IN SEASON produce for really great prices. I just have to be careful not to let it spoil. I got organic celery cheap and cut it up and froze it for soup. I did the same with green onion (for a favorite recipe).

I have 3 5# bags of frozen organic veges from Costco. They are great for chicken pot pie and last minute meals.

I don't make things from scratch that don't save $. So I stock up on pasta sauce, noodles, taco shells and condiments when they are super cheap with a coupon.

I get organic brown rice, beans and flour in bulk. I grind my own wheat and corn.

Dairy is our most expensive item, too, especially since I get organic. I print coupons from Organic Valley website to use with sales. I also got a whole bunch of Horizon coupons and have been using them on yogurt, butter, etc. I freeze milk, cheese and butter.

I was able to get natural deli meat and bacon recently. It was B1G1F and I had coupons. We hadn't had bacon or deli meat in AGES. It is Hormel brand and contains no nitrates or yucky stuff. I froze most of it and just pull one out when we finish a package.

Anyway, good luck. I have enjoyed reading the tips on this thread.
You haven't joined SWAGBUCKS yet? JOIN NOW & earn prizes!
DivineNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #30
happybutterflymama
Registered Users
seller

So, when everyone stocks up on stuff that is on sale, your bill is higher than normal right? Or do you manage to stock up and still stay with the same budget?