Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2006, 05:36 PM   #11
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Re: How long can I solely BF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaykismama
Thanks soooo much ladies! I feel much better now. So any suggestions on what to tell the doctor when he asks why I'm not giving solids yet? Should I just say I feel she's not ready?

And thanks for that link too. Loads of great info there I see.

Yep just says you don't feel she is ready. If he pushes take some print outs of why you are not pushing solids or just claim an allergy to something and say your taking it slow for that reason.

Advertisement

Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:49 PM   #12
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaykismama
Thanks soooo much ladies! I feel much better now. So any suggestions on what to tell the doctor when he asks why I'm not giving solids yet? Should I just say I feel she's not ready?

And thanks for that link too. Loads of great info there I see.

Our pediatrician asked if Kolten was eating solids, I just told him not until he's ready. Some peds. are ok with it, others will tell you that they *need* something else in their diet. That's NOT true. Nobody can make you give your baby solids, if you and baby aren't ready, don't sweat the small stuff. Luckily for us, our ped. is all for BFing and he didn't tell us that we really needed to add solids until he was a year. He told us @ 6 months that we could feed him baby food IF WE CHOOSE. But we chose not to.
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15 IT'S A GIRL!!!
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:02 PM   #13
mama23boys
Banned
seller

ds is also 6months and 3 days ago i blended organic brown rice and cooked it for him and 30 min and 4 bites later he wanted no more! since then i havent given him anymore bc he simply wasnt interested enough....

no biggie BUT the ped has been pushing for solids and vitiamin drops since he 4.5-5months. i just nod and say. yup ok and then dont do it!

what i mean to say with all this is that as other pp have said you can wait a yr or longer to introduce solids!

Last edited by mama23boys; 07-14-2006 at 07:03 PM.
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:58 PM   #14
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

My DD shows all the readiness signs (she is 5 months) but *I* am not ready for it. Plus, I want to see if I can hold AF at bay for more than 7 months, as she came back then both other times! So we are waiting until at least 7 months to start, perhaps longer, but my ped seems to think that if I don't start the day she turns 6 months I am forfeiting any chance that she will ever take solids and I will have to nurse her through college.

Dang, sorry for the hijack. But I think most peds say 6 months.
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:04 PM   #15
bundeleh
Registered Users
seller

My DD is now almost 9 months; I started her on solids at 4 months b/c she refused to take a bottle from her sitter and I was back to work.

My understanding is that certain nutrients, particularly iron, need to be supplemented by solid foods after 6 months.

Baby cereals are fortified with iron ... My DD doesn't love the cereal, but I mix it in with other things -- including b'milk! Her midmorning meal is usally yogurt + fruit + cereal, a baby version of my own b'fast!

Since introducing solids five months ago, I still have not had my period, nor has my DD stopped nursing -- she has hardly seemed to slow the nursing down at all. I don't think anybody needs to worry that giving heir baby some solid foods will mean a stop in nursing. The two activities shoudl complement each other.

If DC doesn't like whatever it is, you should try, try again ... Babies do not take to most new foods right away. My DD refused sweet potatoes for a long time, but now loves them. And the other day she finally accepted green beans after having always turned her nose up at them.

My DD wakes me up in the morning to nurse; we nurse before I go to work. Even on the weekends she has solids twice a day (not religiously, though). When we get home from work, we nurse. Then she has a lite dinner. Then we nurse to sleep!

The solids and the b'milk complement each other.
bundeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:15 PM   #16
ewebabymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is almost 11 months and she has been having solids for about a month. Around 6 months I tried banana, but she wouldn't have it. She always prefers to feed herself. For supper tonight we had green beans and I just put some on her tray and she did it all by herself. She went right to chunky table food, no mush for her. She simply wouldn't have it
ewebabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:23 PM   #17
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

on the topic of iron...i suppose it's to each his own, but i found this information helpful in making my decision about what to do:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html
Old 07-20-2006, 06:38 AM   #18
Eliza-Bella
Registered Users

My Dr. said that solids are not nutritionally necessary until 12 months. I am just now (10 months almost) starting to be consistent about feeding DD solids. She eats yogurt, apple sauce, crackers, veggies (cooked), and bites of whatever we are eating about 2-3 times a day.
Eliza-Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:42 AM   #19
tommyzmommy
Registered Users
seller

Iron present in breastmilk from mother's diet is more readily absorbed by baby than anything manufactured. So, you could exclusively breastfeed as long as your child wants to, provided you are eating a balanced diet and baby is meeting developmental milestones. The solids question comes up at almost every LaLeche meeting I've ever attended so if you feel the need for a supportive breastfeeding community who've "been there" in the peds office, that's the group to find. In my experience with two having breastfed exclusively (no bottles or formula), their choice to eat solids was child-led, just like my older son's weaning was child-led (younger is still nursing once at night.) I had ambitions of prolonged breastmilk poops but they both became so obnoxious at the table when we ate that it was more frustrating to DH and I not letting them join in. At best they were smacking lips, opening and closing the mouth, not nursing but grabbing for the food, making that old car sound "ooga ooga," thne they got much louder, it was a whole new interpretation of "feeding on cue!" HTH and that yours is a great week Miss Mama!

Last edited by tommyzmommy; 07-20-2006 at 07:49 AM.
tommyzmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:46 AM   #20
Kellyd
Registered Users

I pretty much exclusively bf my 2 girls up until around 9 to 10 months. They were both interested in eating and had lost the reflex where they pushed everything out of their mouth- but they both reacted with rashes around their mouth and bottom whenever I tried to start them on cereal. The pediatrician said there was some risk of them having low hemoglobin levels as the iron in breastmilk is sometimes not enough for them after about 9 months. But she did a finger stick to check their hemoglobin and since they were fine she said just try to intro solids slowly. She did say that sometimes babies who don't start having some solids before a year have a harder time learning to eat, but we didn't find that to be true. If you're worried about it, the only thing I think I'd have your ped do is check the hemoglobin level.
Kellyd is offline   Reply With Quote