Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-22-2006, 01:11 PM   #21
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: How long can I solely BF?

A great book to read is "My Child Won't Eat" by Dr. Carlos Gonzalez

My daughter is about to turn 18 months old (tomorrow!) and still has next to zero interest in food.

She has maybe, MAYBE eaten a few bites of applesauce, a few bites of yogurt, and some ice cream in her life. 99.9% of her intake is breastmilk, and just in the past few months she started to take sips of water.

Our original pediatrician was very unsupportive of breastfeeding, and after he told me at her 12 month appt to wean her so she starts eating, i walked out of that office and never went back. We have a new pediatrician now who is very supportive of breastfeeding, and told me at her 15 month appointment that she will eat when she is ready. Who knows, maybe she has allergies that she is holding at bay until she is older. As long as she is healthy and happy and not listless or losing weight we are both happy

Just follow your baby's cues and your gut!

Mama to two girls - '05 and '10
automatik2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:41 AM   #22
Registered Users

DS is 6 months and I'm not really interested in solids either....but thankfully he isn't as well. He likes some other tastes but still prefers mom. I know I've read about a child up to 9 months old still EBF with no solids and was as healthy as could be.
Just me, constantly after
thefragile7393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:32 AM   #23
Registered Users
My Mood:

my son was literally reaching for my food and getting it pretty dang close to indide his mouth at about 2 weeks (yes i mean that for sure) and i kept taking it from him. i did let him have a piece or 2 of bananna and watermelon last aug-sept at about 6 months but nothing more, then about 9 monmths i started letting him have a little more fruit, etc if he got a hold of it, and now at 16 months, he eats almost everything i do though i wont let him have milk at all, oranic or not (though he does sneak it sometimes ) and strawberries i try to only let him get a hold of if their organic, as well as most other fruits, etc, and i dont let himh ave pork (because i dont eat it) and yogurt, etc, anything else dairy he cant have as well as soy (not you know stuff like tortilla chips fried in it, etc but i only let him have a little bit, and nothing that actually is soy, like tofu, soy milk, etc) and i think i got it down LOL. oh but hes a little candy feind, especially chocolate, he grtabs it and runs and tries to hide from me so i dont really normally LET him have candy but he does get some, as well as sometimes cheese or a little of other things.

anyway what im saying id you can exclusively bf for longer, unless shes super interested and trying to jam everything in her mouth she can see (which still didnt matter to me, imo his internal stuff still wasnt really ready for it then) then shell be okay for a while with just breastmilk, i was hoping to make it to one without him really eating solids, but i did make it to 9 months and am very glad for that as the risk of allergies as well as a lot of other things goes down the longer you hold them off from eating other things- i dnt mean wait until shes three or something but you know what i mean, not jamming 4 month olds full of food, and 2 day olds with cereal "so theyll sleep" and stuff!!
Mindy, mommy to a very adorablelittle guy! , my UC'd baby boy!& my brand new UC'd baby GIRL
I love my babies!
Need money?
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:02 PM   #24
Registered Users
My Mood:

Hi, I have to say thank you so much for posting this question!!! I have been wondering the same thing but my DD's pedi said to start from 4-6 months. She is now 6 months and we aren't ready at all. Sadly I've started giving her rice cereal and she threw it up every time I gave it to her. Then I tried oatmeal cereal and she can handle it a little better. She's just not wanting to nurse that much since I started trying her on solids. She is a chunker with out adding solids to the mix. She is 20+ lbs now. It really aggravates me when we are eating at my ILs and they try to give her a taste of table foods. It really ticks me off. Even if I say anything to them they say she is old enough to eat. **HELLO....who died and left you in charge????** I really want to NOT feed her solids yet. She could care less a/b them and makes faces when I try her on it. Thanks for all the info and good advice. I'm going against the grain and waiting!!!!
babygirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:24 PM   #25
Registered Users
My Mood:

Just another mama posting that my kiddo held off on solids until over 18 mos & has grown wonderfully & never had low iron or any other health concern!!

Breast milk & the joy of nursing are so wonderful!!
Jennifer, mommy to zander, 5/30/04 & maddie, 7/8/07 & lizzie 10/01/09
born at home, breastfed, cloth diapered, co-sleeping, gently disciplined & loved
Cleaning out the closets! New Cloth Wipes & Embroidered Shirts $6/dozen & /shirt!
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote