Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2007, 11:54 PM   #11
shandi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: any tea drinkers?

Ummm...red raspberry leaf tea is a uterine tonic and a great tea to drink during pregnancy! It does not cause contractions!
But I guess as with anything regarding pregnancy you may find places that tell you otherwise...

I've taken quite a few herbal courses, so here's a bit more info

Brewed as a tea; raspberry leaf is the best known, most widely used and safest of all uterine/pregnancy tonic herbs. It contains fragrine, an alkaloid that gives tone to the muscles of the pelvic region, including the uterus itself. Most of the benefits associated with the regular use of raspberry leaf tea throughout pregnancy can be traced to the strengthening power of fragrine and to the rich concentration of Vitamin C, the presence of Vitamin E, and easily assimilated calcium and iron. Raspberry leaves also contain Vitamins A and B complex and many minerals, including phosphorous and potassium.

Benefits of drinking Raspberry Leaf Tea before and throughout pregnancy include:
Increasing fertility in both men and women

Preventing miscarriage and hemorrhage. Raspberry leaf tones the uterus and helps prevent miscarriage and postpartum hemorrhage from a relaxed or atonic uterus.

Easing of morning sickness. Many women attest to Raspberry leaves gentle relief of nausea and stomach distress throughout pregnancy

Reducing pain during labour and delivery, raspberry leaf eliminates many of the reasons for a painful delivery and prolonged recovery. It does not, however, counter the pain of cervical dilation.

Assisting a safe and speedy postpartum recovery. Raspberry leaf works to encourage the uterus to let go and function without tension. It does not strengthen contractions but does allow the contracting uterus to work more effectively and so may make the birth easier and faster

Helping to bring down an undelivered placenta. Raspberry Leaf combined with Ground Ivy or Angelica facilitates the birth of the placenta

Assisting in production of plentiful breastmilk. The high mineral content of Raspberry Leaf assists in milk production, but its astringency may counter that for some women.

Some herbal teas in pregnancy are good for you And of course in moderation, drinking gallons of anything isn't going to be a good thing!
Peppermint, spearmint, nettle, alfalfa, oatstraw, rosehips, fennel, lemongrass, and lemonbalm, catnip, red clover, strawberry leaf, and ginger are also considered safe. HTH!

Advertisement

Old 09-12-2007, 08:15 AM   #12
bellamama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_c View Post
I know that green tea isn't safe, and neither is raspberry leaf tea (as it's listed as an inducement tool!).
No rasberry leaf tea is good while pregnant. It tones the uterus but does not cause contractions. A cup a day is a good idea as you near b day
Old 09-12-2007, 08:16 AM   #13
bellamama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymdenise View Post
GREEN TEA ISN'T SAFE???? I'm so glad you wrote that.. I'm TTC and drink copious amounts of it! I had no idea!
I think because it blocks the absorption of folic acid.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #14
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamama View Post
No rasberry leaf tea is good while pregnant. It tones the uterus but does not cause contractions. A cup a day is a good idea as you near b day

I love tea. Your pomegranete white tea and blackberry tea should both be fine to drink while pregnant. Don't go hog wild on white teas though as they do have caffeine, but it's ok to have a cup now and then. Peppermint is great in pregnancy, but not so great after (if you're nursing) as it can adversely affect your milk supply (great for drinking when you have a cold or stuffy nose!).

Most of your 'run of the mill' herbal teas that you get at the store are just fine. Just be aware of what has caffeine and check what the ingredients are. Again, almost any of them are perfectly fine if you have a cup now and then, but if you're drinking several cups a day then there's more to be concerned about.

There are some that can have benefit to drinking during pregnancy - like red raspberry leaf tea (btw, 'raspberry tea' often doesn't even have red raspberry leaf in it - another good reason to read labels ). I'm also a fan of Traditional Medicinals and they have a great Pregnancy Tea and also Mother's Milk Tea.

Here's some info on green tea during pregnancy.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:57 AM   #15
Spark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I drink peppermine tea every morning through all three of my pregnancies. The celestial seasonings tea ingredients only say "ingredients: peppermint" I wonder if there's even tea leaves in it.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #16
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope, just peppermint leaves.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #17
gracefaith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymdenise View Post
Oooh.. thanks mama.. so why aren't you supposed to drink it while pg?
Green tea is safe! The only caveat is that is does have a teeny tiny bit of caffiene in it. Caffiene supposedly can interfere with the absorbtion of folic acid, but seriously, you would have to only drink green tea 24/7 and use it in all you baking for it make any difference. You could do far worse with several cups of coffee a day.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:21 AM   #18
craftymomto5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: any tea drinkers?

Just wanted to add my ...I drank green tea througout my pregnancies. I never had any trouble and I am not just a one cup a day drinker either. I usually have 4-5.
craftymomto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #19
tmfletch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I drink tea every day and I am currently pregnant and breastfeeding. I drink loose leaf red raspberry leaf and nettle tea. Also I drink a "bagged" tea that I bought at the store that is a "Pregnancy Tea" that also has red raspberry leaf, nettle, and a few other herbs in it. I drank the same type of tea when I was pregnant with DD.
tmfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #20
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do yourself a huge favor and get some red raspberry leaf tea. I have friends who drink it all throughout pg and they love it. I hate tea, so I tried the capsules instead. It really does make a difference in your delivery and recovery.