Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
cblurose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
HEARTBURN!!!!

Have I complained about this on here? Most days I'm fine but then on days like today I just wish I could rip my chest off my body. What are your heartburn remedies? These Tums are just gross.

Advertisement

cblurose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
idlewildponies
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: HEARTBURN!!!!

Have you tried rolaid soft chews? The vanilla ones did a good job for me. Not looking forward to that again... weird things would set it off, like peanut butter. weird. I would also try creamy things. HTH!

Sarah
idlewildponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:13 PM   #3
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

Ohh, DH wants to try the softchews! I'm lucky and hardly ever get heartburn, but when I do I think I'm dying, LOL. For me it's mostly stress related, so a TUMS and a bath actually gets rid of it. Dh drinks chocolate milk (if dairy sounds good, although to me it doesn't). What about Starbursts or something? Just something chewy and soft and boring in general, not just the one's specifically for heartburn? Other than that, go take a bath, LOL!
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:18 AM   #4
~stacy~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Exactly!

During the day I would just chew some gum if I felt heartburn setting in. It usually helped a ton. But before going to bed, nothing but the TUMs would do it for me.

GL!
Old 07-18-2006, 06:17 AM   #5
deejahd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For me prevention is the best cure. Small meals and lots of water has helped a lot for me, and I actually don't mind the tums that much...find a good flavor though and don't mix them.

Blessings,
Deidre
Old 07-18-2006, 06:50 AM   #6
Jemgirl

Toe Jam anyone?
seller

My Mood:

Carrie,
Are you SURE that it's just heartburn? do you get like massive "burps" with it? Chest/upper back pain? to the point where its VERY hard to get comfortable in any position? If so, I'd talk to your doctor about the possibility of it being gall stones. Those were my symptoms for a couple of years, during my last pregnancy had an attack so bad I went to the hospital (where I discovered it was a gall bladder attack) and ended up having to have my gall bladder out in December (there were over 60 stones in there )
but gall bladder attacks are MUCH more common during pregnancy as everything in your system kinda gets "blocked" up.

Jeme
Old 07-18-2006, 09:15 AM   #7
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

To the OP, I'm right there with ya! I like chocolate milk, it helps a bit (short term) a lot of times. I've also found that if I put a pillow or two behind my lower back so that my back is arched, it kind of helps stretch things out and ease the reflux some. It's not the most comfortable position for long periods of time, but if the baby is squishing your stomach, arching and stretching can give you almost instant relief.

Jemgirl, what other symptoms did you have with your gallbladder? Did it get better after pregnancy? (I guess not if you had it removed!) I talked to my MW about halfway through my second tri because I was still having severe all day morning sickness and she said that it was probably my gallbladder and to cut out meats and greasy foods. Now, I'm hardly able to keep down anything, throwing up all the time, massive heartburn and reflux no matter what I eat, and I'm just wondering. I'm also having some PIH/toxemia/preeclampsia stuff and I read somewhere that nausea and indigestion can be related to that. I'm just wondering if this is going to get better when the baby (finally!!!) comes or what. THanks!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:50 AM   #8
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

Mine was so bad with DS that I had to take 150 mg of Zantac 2x a day...I was totally miserable - everything gave me heartburn: water, milk, sweet, spicy, salty, you name it. The Zantac totally helped and was okayed by my OB. By the end, even that hardly helped. I had to sleep sitting up b/c the heartburn would wake me in the night.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:59 PM   #9
saritastar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been drinking aloe vera juice and it works so well!! The other night I woke up at about 2 w/ terrible heartburn. Took 2 big spoonfuls and went right back to bed and was fine. It works almost immediately. It doesn't taste great but it's better than heartburn!

~Sarita
saritastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:34 PM   #10
cblurose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemgirl
Carrie,
Are you SURE that it's just heartburn? do you get like massive "burps" with it? Chest/upper back pain? to the point where its VERY hard to get comfortable in any position? If so, I'd talk to your doctor about the possibility of it being gall stones. Those were my symptoms for a couple of years, during my last pregnancy had an attack so bad I went to the hospital (where I discovered it was a gall bladder attack) and ended up having to have my gall bladder out in December (there were over 60 stones in there )
but gall bladder attacks are MUCH more common during pregnancy as everything in your system kinda gets "blocked" up.

Jeme
I don't have a gallbladder. It was removed during my 2nd pregnancy..boy was that fun. The lovely scar and everything.
cblurose is offline   Reply With Quote