Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:14 AM   #1
redheadedangels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wink Grocery Exile!

I seriously need to do this!! With the exception of perishable foods like fruit/veggies/dairy we could eat for weeks and not go hungry! I seem to stock pile! I go to the store JUST to get what we're out of and end up getting 10 bottles of Prego spag sauce cause they're on sale. Mac n cheese out the wazoo!! Any pasta noodle you can think of LOL! TONS of tomato sauces, pastes, canned soups, ramen. An embarassing number of Hamburger/chicken helper meals! Which we RARELY even eat! But when they're on sale and i have coupons i get them for like .50 each! So yeah theres a BUNCH in the cabinet! And oh boy the BEANS!! I have dry beans coming out my ears! And ALOT of tortillas! LOTS of cans of refried beans, canned beans, SEVERAL boxes of cereal, oatmeal, LOTS of flour, sugar, flax, anything baking related!! Oh and lets not forget the cereal bars! For some reason my family eats ALOT of cereal bars and I constantly buy more!

And my freezer is PACKED FULL!! STACKS of frozen corn, greenbeans, peas, a HUGE bag of corn on the cob, SO many chicken breasts, cooked ground beef, bags of chick nuggets....SERIOUSLY i think i have a problem with grocery shopping! I WAY overbuy!! And keep doing it! So i think for the next few weeks i'm gonna see if i can ONLY BUY what i NEED at the store which will be dairy products like milk/yogurt/cheese/eggs and fresh fruit and veggies. I am even gonna try and make homemade bread! My dhs grandma has an AWESOME and SIMPLE bread recipe that i'm gonna try out. Though i do need to buy a loaf pan. Anyways am i just a freak or is anyone else a packrat in the kitchen?

Advertisement

redheadedangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Grocery Exile!

Not so much in the kitchen but EVERYWHERE else!
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:17 AM   #3
Mindi
Its a Mindi thing... you wouldn't understand
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

raising hand here

I stock pile all the time and have tons of stuff. One good thing, I didn't have to buy Capri Sun at all this summer and won't have to again for a few months

2 weeks ago i decided that I needed to go through everything food wise and write it down. I have been basing my meals off of what we have here and only getting what we really need.

Doing this I have saved so much money! I think we have enough for at least 1 more week, maybe more.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:28 AM   #4
mom2hancj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Guilty as charged!! I buy sale items and sale items whether we need food or not and my pantry and freezer are packed full!! I just can't seem to pass up a good sale on food

How about we do a challenge? Like for the next couple of weeks to use up what we have at home and buy no more sale items in that time. Only buy the fresh stuff and milk etc.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:36 AM   #5
redheadedangels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2hancj View Post
Guilty as charged!! I buy sale items and sale items whether we need food or not and my pantry and freezer are packed full!! I just can't seem to pass up a good sale on food

How about we do a challenge? Like for the next couple of weeks to use up what we have at home and buy no more sale items in that time. Only buy the fresh stuff and milk etc.
that sounds good! Though I will have to start after this weekend! We are going camping and even though we have so much food here i have to go shopping to get camping food LOL! All my ground beef is cooked and indivually frozen into small portions so i need to buy hamburger patties, i will take our chicken breasts, i need to buy hotdogs and buns for both. Gotta get some chips. We will take a bunch of our frozen corn on the cob and i have potatoes too so i don't need to buy that. I need to get drinks for the kids which will include water bottles and some juice boxes or something. I'll take tea in gallon milk jugs for dh and i will probly just drink water. Unless i cave and get myself some gatorade! I just LOVE gatorade! Need to get all the fixins for smores! Can't go camping w/o that! We have tons of cereal bars for the kids to eat for breakfast. I'm not messing with cooking eggs and stuff while there! It will be dry foods for breakfasts, sandwiches and chips and stuff for lunches and then some good grilled stuff for dinners! The kids are sooo excited! We've been wanting to go all summer but its been sooo dang hot! This weekend is supposed to be heavenly weather!! Sunny and in the 70's and 50's at night!! PERFECT for camping!!!
redheadedangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
nacke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe make a list of EVERYTHING youve got stowed away, and we can all help you meal plan off what you've got!
nacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
todzwife
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just think, if something happened and you couldn't buy food, you wouldn't have to worry that your family would go hungry. I think a stockpile is great!
todzwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
mmskids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm guilty here too however I have found that eventually stuff stops being onsale and you end up clearing out your stockpile. I had 15 boxes of lipton onion soup about 10 months ago since I got it for less than $0.75 a box. Well, I went to make pot roast this weekend and I grabbed my last box. Figured out as I went to replace it, $1.50, stockpiling isn't such a bad idea.

Of course having said this, I can live without food shopping for almost 2 full months. (Except for milk and OJ and maybe a little fresh fruit)
Old 09-12-2007, 10:15 AM   #9
ri'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMindi View Post
raising hand here

I stock pile all the time and have tons of stuff. One good thing, I didn't have to buy Capri Sun at all this summer and won't have to again for a few months

2 weeks ago i decided that I needed to go through everything food wise and write it down. I have been basing my meals off of what we have here and only getting what we really need.

Doing this I have saved so much money! I think we have enough for at least 1 more week, maybe more.
You should see our stockpile. We bought a deep freezer for our anniversary this year, too. I know. How romantic. We don't care though . . . we wanted one. I've been doing the grocery game and super stock piling. I get it ridiculously cheap with sale + multiple q's (I'm on a yahoo groups coupon train too). There are some weeks I only buy fresh (milk bread etc) when the sales aren't great. I don't know how far I'd want to wittle down though. Dh is a super freak about survival preparedness, KWIM? Hence the anniversary deep freeze. You should see my son though. He thinks our surplus downstairs (we have one of those tall wire shelves next to our freezer) is a mini grocery. He'll beg to go down and get something and come up with an arm load which I then have to take back downstairs. It keeps my pantry and freezer upstairs nice and tidy.

Phew! And you don't even want to see how many bags of frozen chicken breasts we have. They go on sale for $3.98 for a 3lb bag at Shop and Save and I buy as many as they will let you. We go through a bag a week. I pull a bag throw two or three frozen breasts in the crock pot and make that broccoli/chicken recipe from the favorite crock pot recipe thread. Then I take Ken's marinade (Teriyaki or Mesquite) and pour half a bottle on the rest. That night we have crock pot chicken over noodles. Next night chicken tacos or salad. Then I cut the rest up and mix with mayo and some other finds and make chicken salad for lunches. No waste. Evah. And so easy.

Last edited by ri'smom; 09-12-2007 at 10:21 AM.
ri'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #10
ri'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Angel, just a side note: The coupon train I use runs through MO (that's where I am, too) and I think last week we had an opening for a rider. It runs close to St. Louis so if you are somewhat near there . . . I could check if you'd like.
ri'smom is offline   Reply With Quote