Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #11
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

Re: how far along are you when they do the gluclose test?

27 weeks.. they let me eat though (it was non-fasting)

and my doc has told me that i can not refuse it ... i didn't even mention it so the fact that they told me that at my first appt makes me really wonder how many people don't want it..

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #12
keithmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With this pregnancy they did it on the 1st appointment. With all the others it was between 20-25 weeks.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:07 AM   #13
MamaF
Registered Users

My Mood:

my first tests were non-fasting....well i couldn't eat after mid-night and had to take the test by 8am in the morning so since i don't usually eat breakfast till 9 or 10 i didn't consider it fasting...lol
MamaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #14
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

they want me to do mine at 31 weeks...because i said i didn't have time at 26...is it safe to decline it? What are the warning signs?
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:19 AM   #15
JnSAlger
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Moore, OK/Chesapeake, VA/Lynbrook, NY/Huntsville, AL/Augusta, GA
My Mood:

I did it with #1@28 weeks, #2@30 weeks, #3@12 & 26 weeks and #4@31 weeks...I like the 30 week ones the best (if at all). My last one was Jelly Beans not the syrup soda stuff. #3 I had 2 tests because I was glucose intolerant with #2...and dumb...and naive...
Old 09-14-2007, 11:23 AM   #16
JnSAlger
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Moore, OK/Chesapeake, VA/Lynbrook, NY/Huntsville, AL/Augusta, GA
My Mood:

ohh and my last one was non fasting and my MW was getting worried based on babies size and heartburn issues... It came back at 134...135 is the cut...So I'm normal in her eyes and I'm just sticking to my higher protein diet that helps my heartburn anyway....

I don't think it is necessary if you know nothing is wrong... You know when something is out of whack...I'm all for the "Who eats that much sugar by itself anyway" excuse....
Old 09-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #17
mammamo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaeljohnson View Post
they want me to do mine at 31 weeks...because i said i didn't have time at 26...is it safe to decline it? What are the warning signs?
IMO it is safe to decline it if you have no family history of big babies or GD and if they are doing urine test for glucose every visit.

www.greenplanetbaby.com

mammamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #18
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There really are no clear warning signs and anyone can get it, that's why they have routine screening.

Things that put you at greater risk:
the more pregnancies you have, the higher your chance (not that much higher though)
being overweight
having a family member with diabetes or family history
history of having big babies (though I think that's pretty bogus)
advanced maternal age (over 35)
pregnant with multiples
diabetes in other pregnancies

Pregnant women ALL naturally produce less insulin - it's part of making babies. But when your body produces too little (and this can be different for every woman, every pregnancy), that's when problems arise. Producing less insulin (esp in the last trimester), is part of how bodies help our babies to grow and put on weight/gain fat. Obviously, if we produce too little, then our babies have a risk of getting too big.

Other 'warning signs' can be watched for, but they can easily be passed off as 'normal pregnancy stuff' or 'caused by other things'. Excessively tired (especially after a high carb/sugar meal or snack), excessively thirsty, excessive urination, high level of amniotic fluid, feeling dizzy or weak before meals or when you haven't eaten for a long time...

The test is not a very good indicator, there are better ways to test for it, but the GTT is 'easy'.

I had GD in my third pregnancy, none of my others. This time around, I compromised with my midwife and just monitored my blood sugar for a couple weeks on my normal diet - once I was sure there was no problem, I stopped. It was easier than taking the dumb test, and gave us a much better idea of how my body is reacting to what I eat.

If you're an otherwise healthy, pregnant woman with no additional risk factors - I don't see why it would be a big deal to skip it. But there are also other ways to check for it without doing the GTT.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #19
vanillabean
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am 25 wks and just did mine yeasterday. A word of advice......It took an hour and half way through i did feel quite dizzy and nauseated. If I had known this I would have had someone drive me. As it turned out I was fine after It was all done, but it would have been better not to drive home.
vanillabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:11 PM   #20
sparklish
Registered Users

Many big babies are born to women without GD. As well, there hasn't been a lot of evidence that treatment for GD is effective in improving outcomes of babies. As well, up to 50% of women who "fail" the test the first time, pass it on subsequent occasions. So it's not very accurate either. For those reasons I declined it as well - not because I didn't want the drink, but because I felt that it wouldn't be a benefit to be to be treated.

However, I did try to follow many of the guidelines regarding not eating too much sugar and getting exercise as I think those are great things to do regardless.
sparklish is offline   Reply With Quote