Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2006, 09:04 AM   #11
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

Re: ADHD

Well, let me start by saying that regardless of what is going on with your son, the teacher shoudn't be saying he is horrible! It is possible to find teachers that can love and teach kids that have difficulties. I have 2 children with ADHD combined type. That is where they show both hyperactivity, impulsiveness and such with the lack of paying attention. The mama that desribed her daughter has also described both of my children but my son has it much worse than my daughter.

With my son it was obvious that something was going on by 3. He also had a really bad preschool experience, the teacher never called him horrible to my face but I am sure from her attitude that she had a very difficult time with him. To their credit they kept him in school all year even though he did have a lot of problems with agresiveness. He was diagnosed at 4 by his pediatrician but the mental health called it oppostional defiance disorder bc they don't usually diagnose ADHD that young. He was on meds then but they just made him all dopey and sleepy so we stopped them The official ADHD diagnosis came at the end of 1st grade after he was expelled from school. This past Dec. he started meds for the 3rd time and they have worked miracles. He was on the verge of expulsion and now he has almost completed the year. As hard as this is to admit, we were so deperate back in Dec. that we were looking for residential programs to send him to. Life was unbearable here. Now he can actually do all the good that he said he wanted to.

My daughter on the other hand did not have any obvious symptoms until the last 2 years or so. Once she started school they were more apparent but I never would have guessed early on. After my son's success with meds in Dec., I saw my daughter in the light of what was really going on. She has ADHD too. Without the constant distraction of my son't problems I was able to see the same patterns he had in her behavior and this time we sought help immediately. If putting her on medication can prevent her from the heartbreak my son had encountered in his life than I am completely willing to do it.

I also had tried many other methods with my son but they didn't do what Concerta has. My son can actually play outside with other kids now. To many people this is something they just assume kids can do if you have shown them manners, let me tell you, for my son this is the greatest gift. He used to pray for it EVERY night and now he has it. I encourage you to continue to love your son like no one else can and be watchful so that you can see with the truth and get him help (IF he really does needs it) before he has to suffer like my son did. to both of you. You are welcome to PM me if you have any questions about my kids or just want encouragement!

Advertisement

Old 04-29-2006, 12:42 PM   #12
jaseyandmallorysmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all for your support!
Old 04-29-2006, 02:46 PM   #13
Tonya
Registered Users

Sometimes kids act out when they know a person does not like them. Preschool is for learning and adjusting to social environments. We had this issue with my daughter....she was terrible in preschool, but in kindergarten, she was an angel...what a difference the teacher made.

With that said, My son has ADHD. There is a test that the teacher and you can take...I think it is called the copeland. This helps the doctor review his home and school behaviors. I do think your son is a bit young...sounds like a 3 year old, but if he is extreme, might be good to study him for a while. Sending you some thoughts on your new journey....it is not always easy to make correct decisions...sometimes, we think with our hearts...instead of with our minds.
Tonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:50 PM   #14
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Just to help your son, see if you can get some B complex vitamins and some kind of enzymes at your health food store. Also, limit his intake of "artificial" foods. Anything that is not a whole food like chips, snack foods, processed and boxed foods, artificially colored and flavored foods and the such.

Some kids are just sensitive to what's in the foods they eat and cannot process them, which in turn can affect the way they behave. The body doesn't know how to process artificial additives and it goes a bit wonky.
keegans_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 06:01 PM   #15
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you feel he has a problem then worry.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:03 PM   #16
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son hits all of the points on the list you gave. What is the main difference between an ADD child and an ADHD child? My son is going in to a neurologist for a consult, and I'm curious what the testing will entail? His teachers are just now coming around to agreeing that he may have an attention problem, in conjunction with learning disability testing.....and he's always on the go, he's absolutely exhausting!! Some days I have to take my own "mommy time out" in my bedroom, because I just need to get away from the constant movement. The funny thing is, he's an absolutely fantastic artist. He can draw the most amazing things (animals, cartoons, etc) and sit still long enough to do them!! I have to ask WTHeck? when it happens, because otherwise he's bouncing off the walls, doing this weird crab walk all over the house that drives me batty.

As far as the woman with the preschooler and the teacher, I'd pull my child if you can. I took my son in to the doctor when he was five because of his behaviour, but they said he was too young. From what I was told, right around 3rd grade is when they like to test, as the child should have a solid background in schooling, as that is apparently part of the test (my son hasn't been tested yet for that, so I'm quoting what I heard). Best of luck, boys are a handful even under normal boy behaviour
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:09 PM   #17
keegans_mommy
seller

My Mood:

My ADHD/Asperger's child runs as if off a battery that never drains LOL And she is also an excellent artist and will sit still for that. She is completely obsessed but this is normal for an Aspie kid. But it's also normal to have a VERY strong interest in one specific thing for kids with ADD/ADHD so your kids is normal for HIM There isn't anything "wrong" with him, he may just have a few "wires" crossed in his brain someplace Did you see my reply to your last post?
Old 05-05-2006, 05:39 PM   #18
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yep I did thank you!!!
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:40 PM   #19
dessismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegans_mommy
My ADHD/Asperger's child runs as if off a battery that never drains LOL And she is also an excellent artist and will sit still for that. She is completely obsessed but this is normal for an Aspie kid. But it's also normal to have a VERY strong interest in one specific thing for kids with ADD/ADHD so your kids is normal for HIM There isn't anything "wrong" with him, he may just have a few "wires" crossed in his brain someplace Did you see my reply to your last post?

Actually, my DD was just diagnozed with Asperger's too, and she sounds just like yours! Excellent artist... when she wants to do something, she can focus just fine, she can merorize whole movie dialogues, but cannot learn how to spell 3 letter words... There is never a dull moment!!
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:41 AM   #20
keegans_mommy
seller

My Mood:

You are SO correct when you say there is never a dull moment LOL