Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-17-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Tips for dying my BumGenius?

I have about 6 BG's Id like to dye. Im thinking red and orange as most of our diapers are currently blue or green. Can somone give me tips or recipies that work?

I have seen some people use kool aid and some use RIT . . . How are they holding up? Do they keep the color well? White diapers are just so boring and DS dosn't really wear anything that a colored diaper would be a problem with anyway so id like to snaz up these 6

Elisabeth mommy to Theodore 1-24-06 , Beatrice 12-13-07 and Juliet 10-6-10
widdletigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Tips for dying my BumGenius?

I'm going to piggyback on this question in hopes that the dying experts will answer us both! LOL!

I died 2 BG with Kool-Aid, one red and one in grape (which turned out sort of mauve). I used vinegar in the recipe with the Kool-Aid and rinsed them many times after dying, then washed them alone. They have been worn and washed several times since then and still bleed on the inserts when my kids pee in the diapers.

Any tips to get them to stop bleeding? I don't want red on everything!

--Karen, mommy to Ben & Calla (3 years old) and Macy (7 years old)
twinmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:18 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Tips for dying my BumGenius?

Well, I dyed using Koolaid and vinegar (stovetop method) and I actually haven't experienced any noticeable bleeding of the colors. So I can't help there.

But I can say that the Koolaid colors are fading over time. But I do dry mine in the drier (medium or high). Still, it has only been a dozen washes or so and they are noticeably faded in color. It probably is due to my drying them in the drier tho. I am planning to just re-dye them once they have faded too much. But if RIT holds color better, that may be the way to go. Dunno. Every dye job adds a buck or two to the dipe, IYKWIM. But, to be fair, the BG colors from CBs have faded just as much for me.
Stacy, mom to two very spirited boys... Thomas and Patrick
Just trying to keep up with them - lol!
~stacy~ is offline   Reply With Quote