Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
Transitioning...

from cosleeping to his own bed....

How would you do it without CIO? I'm really clueless.

I wouldn't quit, but neither of us are getting any sleep...and it's just getting worse!

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Transitioning...

My ds looks about your ds age and we are working on the transition also. With the next baby coming and recently dh moving to the couch to sleep every night, we only have a queen sized bed, I think it's time.

We got a twin bed with a railing....didn't go the toddler bed route because he was so use to our big bed. We picked out a new theme for his room....his room is monkeys.....which he got excited about.

I would do everything the same and lay with him until he goes to sleep just like I would in our bed and usually he slept most of the night in there, maybe a fourth of time would come sleep with us. It did seem to take longer to get him to go to sleep, but once he did it usually lasted.

We have been a "break" since I have been trying to get his room turned into "their" room....the baby won't sleep in there but all his clothes and stuff will be there.

Does that advice help?? Does he still nurse or wake up at night?? Does he slepe through usually??

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:45 PM   #3
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

our youngest DC are about the same age and we recently transitioned DD to her own bed, since she has always gone to bed before us anyways it really wasn't as hard as I though it would be

we put a toddler bed in our room, that way the bedtime routine didn't change, she still got her story in DS's room and then was carried into our room for bedtime boobie and went to sleep, she just slept in her bed right next to ours and could easily go frm it to our bed if she woke up, after a couple of weeks of sleeping in the toddler bed and getting used to it and realizing that she could get up and come into bed with us if she woke up we moved the toddler bed into DS's room

she can still get up and come get into bed with us, but it started happening later and later and now the alarm generaly goes off with her in her bed, plus she loves that the bed is "hers" and she gets total control over it
Old 09-14-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
aliks
Registered Users
seller

Tony was born on 8/23/05! Anyways, we got a twin mattress and put it on the floor. At night I lay down next to him, he nods off and I put a body pillow where I just was. So far I think it's been a week and I've only had to go in there a few times in the middle of the night-but that's cause I sometimes wake him when I test him at 2 a.m. Never had to cio, he loves his new bed and sometimes he just randomly goes in his room and lays down on it.
aliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:15 PM   #5
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliks View Post
Tony was born on 8/23/05! Anyways, we got a twin mattress and put it on the floor. At night I lay down next to him, he nods off and I put a body pillow where I just was. So far I think it's been a week and I've only had to go in there a few times in the middle of the night-but that's cause I sometimes wake him when I test him at 2 a.m. Never had to cio, he loves his new bed and sometimes he just randomly goes in his room and lays down on it.
lol, between the 3 of us we got the 22nd, 23rd & 24th covered
Old 09-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have no problems going to bed in his bed (lay down with him in his bed), but wakes at night...sometimes...5 times. Just to come into my room. I'll wait until he falls asleep and leave his room and we do it all over again, sometimes (as I said before) 5+ times a night. It's getting olllllllld. Neither of us are getting any sleep.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:01 PM   #7
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

How funny our dc are so close together.

ETA: I don't want to CIO, but I have no idea how to get him sleeping on his own.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #8
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

That's how I had to do it - lay him down in his own bed and he'd stay asleep for awhile and then wake up crying so I went back in with him. Some nights one of us would just sleep in his bed with him because we accidentally fell asleep. BUT sooner or later he stopped waking and started sleeping in his room by himself w/o one of us needing to come in. His transition just might take awhile. I kept telling myself it wouldn't be like this forever, and it wasn't - but every kid is able to be separate at their own pace so it's hard to say how long it will take. I would (and did) just keep doing what you're doing for now. I know it doesn't help to say that, but it did get better.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

It's at least nice to hear that it won't last forever I wonder sometimes.