Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2007, 07:24 AM   #11
~happy2Bamommy~'s Avatar
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 22,728
My Mood:
Re: Unassisted birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2LivandNoah View Post
I did a UC...it was great. Its all about knowing what your doing and having confidence..
I may have just read this a bit differently than it was intended but is it meant to imply those of us that wouldn't chose to do a unassisted birth don't know what we are doing and have no confidence

Anyhoo~ to the OP~ I have had three births (2 at home and one fast one in a hotel) I or my husband caught the baby and did the work but in the background were my midwives.

I do know what I am doing during birth and do have confidence in my ability to labor/deliver naturally. I also will not ever (on purpose) put myself or my husband in a UC simply because things can go wrong and I would want someone w/ years of experience there beside me making some decisions that I may not be able to make (like say if I had passed out) I would not want my husband to have to be the one to make them simply due to the fact that even though he has been w/ me all three times he has only been part of our three *perfect births* and even with all the reading we do it does not make either of us experienced when dealing w/ complications that could arise.
My mom had complications after an UC so I know the strain it puts on a person when they are trying to think fast and help a loved one. Also, for what it's worth my mom had 5 UC 4 of which were AWESOME births

Now, should this baby come so fast that my midwife can't make it I am fine w/ that but my personal choice is that my midwife make it to my house

Oh, I do LOVE reading the UC stories

Advertisement

__________________
For a sure-fire humdinger of a thread start one on:The Duggars,Government Assistance, Politics, Crickets,
Religion,Circumcision, Infant Ear Piercing,Spanking,Breast Milk vs Formula,Feeding kids Fast Food
/ Beans & Rice, Sniffing Butt, or Vaccinating.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:41 AM   #12
Tangy's Avatar
Tangy
Banned
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,727
My Mood:
Re: Unassisted birth

2x UCer here. Wouldn't change it for anything.
Tangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:03 AM   #13
beautiful8's Avatar
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,809
My Mood:
Re: Unassisted birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~happy2Bamommy~ View Post
I may have just read this a bit differently than it was intended but is it meant to imply those of us that wouldn't chose to do a unassisted birth don't know what we are doing and have no confidence

Anyhoo~ to the OP~ I have had three births (2 at home and one fast one in a hotel) I or my husband caught the baby and did the work but in the background were my midwives.

I do know what I am doing during birth and do have confidence in my ability to labor/deliver naturally. I also will not ever (on purpose) put myself or my husband in a UC simply because things can go wrong and I would want someone w/ years of experience there beside me making some decisions that I may not be able to make (like say if I had passed out) I would not want my husband to have to be the one to make them simply due to the fact that even though he has been w/ me all three times he has only been part of our three *perfect births* and even with all the reading we do it does not make either of us experienced when dealing w/ complications that could arise.
My mom had complications after an UC so I know the strain it puts on a person when they are trying to think fast and help a loved one. Also, for what it's worth my mom had 5 UC 4 of which were AWESOME births

Now, should this baby come so fast that my midwife can't make it I am fine w/ that but my personal choice is that my midwife make it to my house

Oh, I do LOVE reading the UC stories

I don't know about the theme of the thread per say but like I said....to each her own

I thinks it's amazing that women find that the confidence they need to trust in birth. MORE women need that confidence

I love reading the stories too btw
__________________
~Christine~
~SAHM to 8 beautiful kids~
ISSA CPT & Advocare Advisor
beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:08 AM   #14
Mommy2LivandNoah's Avatar
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA area..
Posts: 7,967
My Mood:
Re: Unassisted birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~happy2Bamommy~ View Post
I may have just read this a bit differently than it was intended but is it meant to imply those of us that wouldn't chose to do a unassisted birth don't know what we are doing and have no confidence

Anyhoo~ to the OP~ I have had three births (2 at home and one fast one in a hotel) I or my husband caught the baby and did the work but in the background were my midwives.

I do know what I am doing during birth and do have confidence in my ability to labor/deliver naturally. I also will not ever (on purpose) put myself or my husband in a UC simply because things can go wrong and I would want someone w/ years of experience there beside me making some decisions that I may not be able to make (like say if I had passed out) I would not want my husband to have to be the one to make them simply due to the fact that even though he has been w/ me all three times he has only been part of our three *perfect births* and even with all the reading we do it does not make either of us experienced when dealing w/ complications that could arise.
My mom had complications after an UC so I know the strain it puts on a person when they are trying to think fast and help a loved one. Also, for what it's worth my mom had 5 UC 4 of which were AWESOME births

Now, should this baby come so fast that my midwife can't make it I am fine w/ that but my personal choice is that my midwife make it to my house

Oh, I do LOVE reading the UC stories
No, actually what I meant was to have a UC you had to be confident in handling it yourself and educating yourself to know how to better deliver a baby. Not that only people who had UC were smart people. I've had one baby at home UC and one at the hospital..so I've been on both sides of the fence. I DO NOT think that it is anyone's right to tell someone else where they should birth or make them feel less then for any choice they make. To each his own and I support that. Does that makes any sense?
__________________
Kayla-Wife to Luke, SAHM to: Olivia(1-6-05), Noah(2-28-07) , Kate(5-28-09), and Micah(5-3-12)
Mommy2LivandNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:39 AM   #15
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,726
Re: Unassisted birth

I have not. I like the idea but would be way to scared to do it all alone even if I wasn't stuck having c/s from here on out. I admire the Mamas that can but it is not for me.
__________________
wife to DH, SAHM to
DS 5/98, DD 2/00, DS 5/04, & DS 1/06 and DS 7/08
Jillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:45 AM   #16
~happy2Bamommy~'s Avatar
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 22,728
My Mood:
Re: Unassisted birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2LivandNoah View Post
No, actually what I meant was to have a UC you had to be confident in handling it yourself and educating yourself to know how to better deliver a baby. Not that only people who had UC were smart people. I've had one baby at home UC and one at the hospital..so I've been on both sides of the fence. I DO NOT think that it is anyone's right to tell someone else where they should birth or make them feel less then for any choice they make. To each his own and I support that. Does that makes any sense?
Gotcha it's hard sometimes to tell how things are meant to sound online since it is just words w/ no tone
__________________
For a sure-fire humdinger of a thread start one on:The Duggars,Government Assistance, Politics, Crickets,
Religion,Circumcision, Infant Ear Piercing,Spanking,Breast Milk vs Formula,Feeding kids Fast Food
/ Beans & Rice, Sniffing Butt, or Vaccinating.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #17
Baby_Vol's Avatar
Baby_Vol
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 976
Re: Unassisted birth

I couldn't do it, but that's because of my past experiences. I have a friend who has had 3 healthy pregnancies/natural births. However, her 4th little one was born blue. Oxygen didn't help. They had to intubate her (they had no idea why, even ultrasound didn't show why). Later on, they found out there were some internal problems and she needed surgery. If she had doen UA at home, the little one would have died. I know some people are comfortable with that, but I'm not.

Our past experiences really do shape us, and as a PP said 90% of the time you'll be fine with UA childbirth .....but that 10% scares me, personally. It's different for everyone though.
__________________
Julya
Mama to David (02/06)
& Kate (05/08)
Baby_Vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:07 AM   #18
TwinKristi's Avatar
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 14,304
My Mood:
Re: Unassisted birth

I would love to do this if we add #6 to our family. I definatly would like a homebirth and my dh is all for it.
I didn't really know much about UC until coming here, but I think if you can and you want to, than more power to you! I was assisted in the delivery of my 3rd son and it was seriously the most awesome experience. The dr couldn't make it in time and the nurse on call happened to also be a lay MW in TX and pretty much just let me do what I needed to do. Once the head & shoulders came out she had me reach down under his armpits and pull him out myself. It was so cool!! Knowing I was delivering a baby that was still partially inside be and able to concentrate and stuff was way better than my other hospital births. Especially when I had to push for 45 mins and then flip on my side b/c he was posterior.... it was awful. I'd take my nurse assisted birth anyday!
__________________
Kristi, Mommy to Josh & Nick (identical twins 6-97) Nathen (3-02), Joey (2-04), Jacob (11-05) & Aaron (12-11) I sell Tupperware!
"A person's a person, no matter how small..." Dr Seuss
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:55 AM   #19
mengmommy's Avatar
mengmommy
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Right-winger in Liberalville.
Posts: 1,663
My Mood:
Re: Unassisted birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
I would love to do this if we add #6 to our family. I definatly would like a homebirth and my dh is all for it.
I didn't really know much about UC until coming here, but I think if you can and you want to, than more power to you! I was assisted in the delivery of my 3rd son and it was seriously the most awesome experience. The dr couldn't make it in time and the nurse on call happened to also be a lay MW in TX and pretty much just let me do what I needed to do. Once the head & shoulders came out she had me reach down under his armpits and pull him out myself. It was so cool!! Knowing I was delivering a baby that was still partially inside be and able to concentrate and stuff was way better than my other hospital births. Especially when I had to push for 45 mins and then flip on my side b/c he was posterior.... it was awful. I'd take my nurse assisted birth anyday!

Wow, you totally make me want to catch my own baby! My mom and dh just kind of guided dd out, but no one really caught her. I was on my hands and knees. Must.catch.own.baby! Hehe...
__________________
Jennifer Trupe, Trupie (6), Ele (3), and Israel 12/3/08. Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, no vaxing, cloth-diapering/ec'ing, unassisted birthing, crunchy conservative Christian family.
mengmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #20
wyandemma's Avatar
wyandemma
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: MI
Posts: 560
Re: Unassisted birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mengmommy View Post
I did it. I googled it and read up on it, read a bunch of birth stories to get as close to real life experiences as I could get. My story is in the link in my siggie.


Wow mama! All i can say is wow! Your birth story brought tears to my eyes! I have never done an UC or even a homebirth for that matter, but i am blessed in where i live that the doctor's/nurses respect your birth plan wishes and in all honesty.. just let you do what you need to do. I would LOVE to do a homebirth someday... (talking the hubby into it is another story though... ) Maybe I'll have him read your story. Might change his mind...
__________________
Wife to Tom &SAHM to Wyatt 9/7/04, Emelia 11/26/06, Morgan 1/20/09, Warren: 4/11/11 & expecting Willa 1/23/14
wyandemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.