Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2007, 02:14 PM   #21
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Unassisted birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mengmommy View Post
Wow, you totally make me want to catch my own baby! My mom and dh just kind of guided dd out, but no one really caught her. I was on my hands and knees. Must.catch.own.baby! Hehe...
AWWWWW!! It was weird, totally and 100% unexpected, but sooooooo wonderful!! The dr didn't show up for like 15 mins so I just go to sit there and snuggle with him afterwards! He cried right at first when he was born, but quieted right away in my arms and didn't cry again until his bath a couple hours later!

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2007, 02:54 PM   #22
mengmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyandemma View Post
Wow mama! All i can say is wow! Your birth story brought tears to my eyes! I have never done an UC or even a homebirth for that matter, but i am blessed in where i live that the doctor's/nurses respect your birth plan wishes and in all honesty.. just let you do what you need to do. I would LOVE to do a homebirth someday... (talking the hubby into it is another story though... ) Maybe I'll have him read your story. Might change his mind...

I'm so glad! I love sharing. Dh was NOT on board with anything but a hospital birth when I got pg with dd, but eventually I talked him into a birth center, then when I didn't like the mw's there, I brought up UC to him. I was gracious in my approach, and dh was gracious in his response. He knew how much I absolutely hated my birth experience with ds, and how passionate I was about birth (its like my #1 obsession!) and how much research and prayer I put in to it. And I know he prayed a lot for guidance too. He was amazing! He said that he never has to jump out of a plane though...he got his thrills in for this lifetime.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:43 PM   #23
mom2~3offspring
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Vol View Post
I couldn't do it, but that's because of my past experiences. I have a friend who has had 3 healthy pregnancies/natural births. However, her 4th little one was born blue. Oxygen didn't help. They had to intubate her (they had no idea why, even ultrasound didn't show why). Later on, they found out there were some internal problems and she needed surgery. If she had doen UA at home, the little one would have died. I know some people are comfortable with that, but I'm not.

Our past experiences really do shape us, and as a PP said 90% of the time you'll be fine with UA childbirth .....but that 10% scares me, personally. It's different for everyone though.

Thats exacally why i think its a very bad idea! I would NEVER put my childs life at risk ya 90 or what ever % is ok theres always that small chance..
Im glade all ur ua births were ok thank goddness right!!
I think its unreasponsible but thats my opionion! I love to try i thought aboutit but i coulkdnt live with myself if my baby died cause i wanted to be all natural and cool on my own, hey i had a all natural birth at a center with no iv no meds and i got a water tub , "well i had to be pulled out of due to hemerage" thank god i was at the center!
mom2~3offspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:49 PM   #24
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I wanted a home birth sooo bad. Dh was not on board with that idea, he had a "bad feeling". That bad feeling was a c-sect after 23 hours of labor and a diagnosis of "failure to progress". I have smallish babies and they didn't fit thru my pelvic bones, never dialated past 3 or -1 station in any of my 3 term births. I never expected to need c-sects and I was unprepared for it. Nobody in either side of my family can recall anyone ever needing one. I'm not saying you shouldn't, but maybe for your very first birth, it wouldn't hurt to have a doula there at least in the other room to keep an eye on things, kwim? I hope your delivery is easy and leaves you with pleasant memories!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:15 AM   #25
Jenlaana
Registered Users

I don't know if this is against the board rules, but if you're interested in learning about UC, I would suggest the Unassisted Childbirth subforum (under birth and beyond) on MDC.

I had a cesarean for my first and then went on to have an incredible Unassisted Birth. It was incredible and the best birth that I could have given my beautiful daughter, and was chosen in order to make her entrance into the world as healthy as possible compared to the other options I had available to me. It was DEFINITELY NOT "to be cool and stuff" as a PP suggests and was made after months of research and discussion between DH and I, as well as after talking with many midwives and CNMs and a couple obstetricians. It wasnt done on a whim or in any way for MY emotional desires. It was a choice based on statistics and lots and lots of research (DH is a scientific guy...and only science and proof of a better chance at a good outcome for myself and DD would have convinced him).

Anyways, if anyone is curious and wants to read it or is curious about the details, PM me. I do have a wonderful birth story, and DH wrote his as well.

I don't begrudge anyone for making the choice that they make in birthing their child, and truly feel that as a mother you should know the best way possible for your baby to be born, and I support that 200%, be it unassisted, midwife assisted, hospital birth or elective cesarean, but I don't feel that its right to suggest I'm irresponsible just because I did not come to the same conclusion as you. I know its a tough topic to deal with, but babies die, and they die in every place they are born, be it the hospital or home, with a midwife or without. Its horrible and nobody wants that, but there are risks to every single scenario.

Last edited by Jenlaana; 09-18-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Jenlaana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:24 AM   #26
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenlaana View Post
I don't feel that its right to suggest I'm irresponsible just because I did not come to the same conclusion as you. I know its a tough topic to deal with, but babies die, and they die in every place they are born, be it the hospital or home, with a midwife or without. Its horrible and nobody wants that, but there are risks to every single scenario.

It irritates me that moms (and midwives too) whose babies die during UC can be charged with involuntary manslaughter, yet no one blames the doctor when a baby dies during a hospital birth. BUT, that's neither here nor there.

There are risks to every kind of birth, and perhaps just as many for a hospital birth as with a UC, since there are so many interventions that interfere with proper birth. Me personally, I know that my chances of having a successful, trauma-free birth are much better this time around if I stay at home. My hospital birth had so many complications that could have never happened if I'd had the courage to stay home....C-section due to "failure to progress" after 46 hours of labor, postpartum hemorrage, difficulty BFing, etc. etc. etc.

True, there are moms who try UC and aren't fully prepared/educated, but the same could be said about hospital birth. I think the key is to LEARN as much as you possibly can about whatever kind of birth you choose. Whatever your choice, be prepared! Arm yourself with knowledge!
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:52 AM   #27
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

I've had two unassisted births after one violent hospital birth.

It's far and away the most intimate experience my husband and I have ever shared. Sex doesn't even compare. If you think making love to create a child is incredible, try bringing forth that life from your body, together. It's like just for a moment you've become one person. A very powerful bonding experience. Highly recommended.

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:53 AM   #28
WhollyMama
Registered Users

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenlaana
I don't feel that its right to suggest I'm irresponsible just because I did not come to the same conclusion as you. I know its a tough topic to deal with, but babies die, and they die in every place they are born, be it the hospital or home, with a midwife or without. Its horrible and nobody wants that, but there are risks to every single scenario.

It irritates me that moms (and midwives too) whose babies die during UC can be charged with involuntary manslaughter, yet no one blames the doctor when a baby dies during a hospital birth. BUT, that's neither here nor there.

There are risks to every kind of birth, and perhaps just as many for a hospital birth as with a UC, since there are so many interventions that interfere with proper birth. Me personally, I know that my chances of having a successful, trauma-free birth are much better this time around if I stay at home. My hospital birth had so many complications that could have never happened if I'd had the courage to stay home...

My response to anyone who says, "Wow, you're brave for giving birth at home" is, "Wow, you're brave for giving birth in a hospital."
It's all about perspective. I could say it's irresponsible to give birth in a hospital where disease and infection are rampant and everyone around you is trying to manage your birth through ways that have been proven to be harmful and/or uneffective. But, I give you that option, because every mama must choose for herself where she feels most comfortable.
I gave birth to my 4th in the car on the way to the birth center. Dh thought a homebirth was too risky. Instead we had an unassisted birth in a parking lot in 23 degree weather.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:02 AM   #29
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:

for the 2 posts above!

we chose to do midwife birth because of the less than 3% chance of anything going wrong factor. Sad that mommas go to jail and doctors don't . . . then I think about all those drs that kill babies on purpose! Where's the justice in that??!

I understand that there's risks in all types of birth and I believe alot of issues come because of our attitudes about it. For me, I grew up as an adopted child & never knew a 'birth story' so I had no preconceived stories. So my labors have all been pretty quick & easy and an uc was a natural progression of chance that happened. For those that have only heard the 'horror' stories have the preconceived idea that birth is scary & your body will suffer severely. Those mommas probably need a doctor available to help!

this is just my observations from being around a lot of mommies and sharing stories and experiences! My 2 more 'difficult' labors were during those times I had a lot of fear. I learned to read all the good labor stories online to fill myslef with an 'I can do it' attitude and those labors went easier.

I am not being irresponsible because I chose to birth naturally, because I choose not to vaccinate, because I choose to homeschool, because I choose to not go to the dr unless it's an emergency . . . . God has given me wisdom to raise my family. My choices are for my family & my situation! Not everyone can or should do what I do!
homeschooling mum (d15, d13, d11, s8, s6) Surprise #6 due Aug 13!
Navy vet and wife to a ret. MARINE
Lend Me Your Pen: my kids's homeschooling Magazine project
madebytrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:38 AM   #30
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I asked for a home birth and my dh said..> I would double your newborn stash money if you promise never to ask for that again
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote