Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
carnalcindd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Will Pregnancy make my baby wean? Updated post 21

I am on the progesterone only pill, but I don't like that it is a drug in my body and ds is getting some of it. I would like to go off of it, but the only reason I started taking it in the first place was that I was worried that if I got pregnant again, ds would wean. I don't mind having kiddos close in age, but I really want ds to get at LEAST a full year of breast milk. Anyone have any research or personal experience they can share. I would greatly appreciate it

Advertisement

Last edited by carnalcindd; 09-19-2007 at 08:49 AM.
carnalcindd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Will Pregnancy make my baby wean?

Not sure about the progesterone, but I'm 26wks pg (will be 26wks tomorrow) and my 17mth old is still nursing strong; she was 12mths when I got preg. (she was on solids but not many) Keep your head up momma, your nursling might be more addicted than ya think LOL

Sorry I couldn't help w/the prog~I hope I helped somewhat. To keep your supply up: eat 1 bowl oatmeal (not instant) a day.

Last edited by CrunchyMama0607; 09-16-2007 at 02:02 PM.
CrunchyMama0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:00 PM   #3
mom22girls
Registered Users
Formerly: jenmarie
seller

I got pregnant when my dd was 5 months old, and she weaned when she was 10 months. It was pretty obvious that my milk supply had dramatically decreased, as she was only nursing a minute or two total. My midwife told me that it's pretty rare (although possible, depending on your body) to be able to continue producing enough for an infant under 1 year.
mom22girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD#1 was 16 month when I got pregnant w/ #2. About half way through the pregnancy my supply dropped to almost nothing. It soon changed to colostrum. My DD's nursing dropped to about once a day until the baby was born, then it picked back up. She will be 3 in Feb. and is still nursing several times a day for a few minutes. So, it just really depends on if your milk supply drops and how your DC will respond to that. HTH
Old 09-16-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
mama2madj
Registered Users
seller
seller

neither of my babies weaned from preg....abs was 8mts old when i got preg (oh, and i was on the prog only pill), i weaned her when she was 12mt cause of an irritable uterus. my ds was 3.5 when i got preg w/ this one (have not taking BC at all since his birth) and he's still nursing, im over 32w
Old 09-16-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
carnalcindd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is there anything you can do that is safe during pregnancy to increase supply if they start to wean?
Old 09-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My oldest weaned when I was pregnant. He was almost 2.5 at the time. I know my milk dropped to nothing, but then he wasn't nursing that much at the time anyway so it didn't matter.

Lots of water, and oatmeal will up supply. There are probably some supplements that are safe during pregnancy to keep your supply up, but I would talk to a good midwife or LC before taking anything.

ETA: and of course offering more frequently and pumping can help up supply, it is supply and demand thing.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

I think it really depends on your body and your baby.
I was on the pregosterone pill until my ds was about 5-6 mos old. I got preggo very soon after I quit taking it (and had never gotten a real period back BTW).
Sadly, he lost interest in the breast around 9 mos and completely refused it by 10 mos.
I still had milk and wasn't specifically working to keep him nursing, but not trying to wean either. He was so young I assumed he would keep going til a year at least.
But, he also was/is an independant little guy who *loved* his solids. And, he was only nursing about 6x a day and was night weaned when he started losing interest around 9 mos (I went back to nursing him at night then, as it was the only time I could get him to nurse).

They're all different. My dd nursed until almost 4 yrs! I don't think she would have weaned if I had gotten preggo- she was a *very* avid nurser
Old 09-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #9
andrea0324
Registered Users

My Mood:

I might not be as dedicated as all the PPs because I weaned my DD when she was 8mo and I was about 12 weeks PG. I get very sensitive nipples when PG and it hurt sooooo bad when she was nursing that I would cry--I didn't want my memories of nursing her to be so sad and I just couldn't take it anymore. By the time I weaned her completely, I was happy to be done because it didn't hurt anymore.

Good luck to you mama!

BTW--I got PG on the mini-pill, too!

I blog! Stop on by! www.northernlightsmama.blogspot.com
andrea0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
mom22girls
Registered Users
Formerly: jenmarie
seller

My doula/LLL leader told me that while it's possible to maintain your supply during pregnancy (again, depending on your body- mine wouldn't cooperate, despite increasing nursing, fluids, oatmeal, etc.) but it's not possible to actually increase your supply due to increased hormone levels.
mom22girls is offline   Reply With Quote