Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
Love4leon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Weird rash on legs right where elastic is...

So- what could it be? Is she allergic to something or could it just be the heat and her diaper rubbing and irritating her skin? We are using fitteds with wool- she only has the rash right at the crease of her thigh- so I don't think it is an allergy to wool. Any thoughts?

Advertisement

Love4leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
Love4leon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Weird rash on legs right where elastic is...

Old 09-21-2007, 09:16 PM   #3
Love4leon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Old 09-22-2007, 05:44 AM   #4
jadekat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have any advice but I'm in the same boat. My DS has a rash on both sides almost by his groin. I'm wondering if I need to strip his diapers or if it's a suedecloth allergy. They seem to get worse when he wears BGs overnight. Hopefully some will know more.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
LittleBoppers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How long has she had this rash? Is it new since you started using fitteds? I have hard that some babies are allergic to latex. There is latex in the elastic that most diapers have in them. There was a WAHM a while back (Cinniminis) who marketed her diapers as latex-free because one of her kids was allergic so she started making them that way.

I think Lastin (which is an elastic used in some diapers) is Latex free. I'm going to research that and if I found out I'll post back here. The CuddleBuns one-size I make are made with Lastin elastic. (The Poochies I make are made with polybraid which does have latex...I think most diaper makers use polybraid).

Edited to add: Ok, I found that Lastin is 100% Thermoplastic Polyurethane so yes it is latex free. You may want to consider trying CuddleBuns one-size fitteds and other brands that are made with Lastin. Do check before you buy, that the particular diaper or cover you're buying has Lastin not polybraid, if you think she may have a latex allergy.

But if she has been wearing fitteds for a while, and this is a new rash it may not be an allergy. Maybe it is a contact rash, like from rubbing or too tight elastic. Does it get better during the day? I would put her in prefolds with pull-on soakers (no elastic in legs) until she heals up.

Last edited by LittleBoppers; 09-22-2007 at 08:28 AM.
LittleBoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:20 AM   #6
LittleBoppers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, yeah...I forgot to ask...is it really a rash or is it just red marks appear in the morning and disappear later in the day? Red marks in the morning are pretty common from baby sleeping all bundled up in a nighttime diaper combo, and not moving around much during sleep. You know how you can get elastic marks on your tummy after wearing elastic waist pants all day? Same thing. It usually isn't a problem.

Last edited by LittleBoppers; 09-22-2007 at 08:21 AM. Reason: clarify
LittleBoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
Love4leon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks so much for all the info! It is definitely a rash- but we use latex nipples and she doesn't seem to have any issues with that at all- so I think it might be from the rubbing. I am going to do just what you suggest and try just the prefolds- It seems to be going away now that the weather is cooler- so maybe it was heat rash? I will try a day of prefolds to see if it helps! Thanks so much! I might have to buy some Cuddlebuns for fun!