Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2006, 09:24 PM   #11
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: TB testing, do you really need it?

Just FYI............you don't have to have the skin prick or needle poke test, there is an xray they can do of the chest if that seems less invasive for your little guy. I know a lot of kids who have had to have the chest xray (students) because they reacted to the skin prick (false positive) and have the xray done to be sure. The skin prick they do on the little guys is really quick too, just a poke with a round thing that kinda looks like a stamp and has four prongs on the end. It's done and over so quickly that your son may not even notice. I had an autistic child in my class last year who HATED the Dr. office and had to be held down whenever he was sick and given injections of antibiotics because he was so on overload everytime they took him. They opted out of all voluntary med's and vaccines, but even he was able to have the TB test. Good luck with whatever you find out.

Advertisement

teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:56 PM   #12
janelyb
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaineinok
Here is what they do.
The tuberculosis (TB) skin test (also known as a PPD or Mantoux) is NOT a vaccine. The TB test is only designed to help diagnose those who have been infected with TB (most of whom are not sick and have no symptoms).

The TB test involves injecting a small amount of a protein from the bacterium under the skin on the forearm. There are no live bacteria in this injection, and it cannot cause any disease. The patient then returns in 48-72 hours to have their arm checked. If the body recognizes the protein (meaning infection with the TB bacterium has occurred), it will respond by causing a "bump" to appear around the injection site. The clinician will then measure how large this bump is. A small bump may be normal, while a larger bump almost always signifies infection - but not necessarily illness.

The only significant adverse reaction to this test is an abnormally large swelling in the forearm that may occur in those who have positive tests. This reaction is rare, and is usually treatable with cortisone type creams. On very rare occasions the reaction may lead to some of the skin dying and peeling off.

While there is no reason to suspect that the test would harm a developing fetus, pregnant women should probably postpone routine testing.

I have had it done years ago when I taught daycare. Its not painful at all just a little scratch. They test all school and preschoolers and teachers as its very contagious and easier to treat early rather than when its become a full blown case. Its rather more common in those of low income than upper incomes so the Head Start program is likely to insist the child get the test rather than allowing attendance without it.
thank you for clearifying what exactally the test is..... That is so true about Headstart being the majority of the people being low income. Fortunately we are not in that income bracket, the only way he is qualifing for the program is because he is special needs. Actually the program we are looking into is a full inclusion program run by the county at the head start site so that the special ed kids are mainstreamed with reg ed kids. I think they will keep insisting the TB test until I cave in, just because that is what Headstart is all about prevent of illness, disease and healthy children.

But thank for that info. It does still seem kinda odd to have a protein injected into a person, true it is not a vax but it is something being injected into your skin. I'm definately like to read more about what exactally is this protein, do you have any repitable site to look at.

Thank you everyone for all the info. I don't want to start any debates I am just trying to make a well informed decision for my special needs child. I'd be happy to get any info on the topic for either side.

that is great info to know about also incase I do get pregnant too.

I know the test is not painful but to a 3 year old with severe sensory integration disorder (high on tactile end) this quick prick is extremely painful and feels like he is being tortured. It will be in his memory for quite some time and make his fear and tactile definsiveness even higher.

Janel
Janel, mamma to: Tyler (6/03) and Isabella (6/95),ttc #3

Last edited by janelyb; 07-17-2006 at 10:03 PM.
janelyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:15 PM   #13
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

FYI, I think in California the test required is done with a reg needle (Mantoux sp?), they put a bubble of fluid under the skin and check in2-3 days for a skin reaction. I don't think they accept the "stamp-type" prick that was mentioned in pp. I can't say for certain, as I am not a nurse or Dr, maybe the CDC web site can further explain the difference. Either way there is going to be the sensory issue to be concerned about. Since your son has special needs, I am sure you have a Dr that you are very close with, you need to have a lenghty discussion about these very issues. Why tramatize the child more with something that isn't necessary. If nothing else sign the form saying you refuse for religious purposes, even if it isn't really the truth. They can't force you to do it in that case, and shouldn't be able to legally keep your son out of the program or it would be discrimination. I hate to see it come to that, but you have to protect your son from unnecessary trauma.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:13 AM   #14
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i dont know about that young but the last time i had it done, i was 7, but i dont know why, i know i went for a check up, and i thought it tickled, i got the prick one, but anyway, it made me really paranoid and i felt like it was growing a bump ther, it really freaked me out for a few weeks later, and honestly i dont see a reason to unless theres some sort of reason to feel like hes exposed, if hes got that much of an issue, and even if he didnt, but thats me..
so definitely see about that waiver!
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 04:10 PM   #15
janelyb
Registered Users

My Mood:
Post Re: TB testing, do you really need it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesmom23girls
Here is a link to a waiver form that you could fill out to avoid TB testing. I don't know if you want to go to that extent or not, but it also list risk factors and other things. I hope this helps.

http://www.vaclib.org/letters/TBwaiverGen.htm
Since you and I are on the same page and state I wanted to update you what the preschool told me...They told me it was ok that we wavied the TB test for the home base program we are doing but if he was ever to go to their actual center for preschool he would have to get the TB test....I don't agree with this so I guess I need to do some research on how can we continue to avoid it because there is a likely chance this fall he will be in the full inclusion program which happens to be at their site. I have sent a message to the ped to see if they do the QuantiFERON-TB Test (which is a blood test for TB).
http://lungdiseases.about.com/od/tes...tiferon_tb.htm

I still don't know what I'm gonna do, I'm sure my doctor will probably think I am nuts for not wanting the test done.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:02 PM   #16
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachermama
Just FYI............you don't have to have the skin prick or needle poke test, there is an xray they can do of the chest if that seems less invasive for your little guy. I know a lot of kids who have had to have the chest xray (students) because they reacted to the skin prick (false positive) and have the xray done to be sure. The skin prick they do on the little guys is really quick too, just a poke with a round thing that kinda looks like a stamp and has four prongs on the end. It's done and over so quickly that your son may not even notice. I had an autistic child in my class last year who HATED the Dr. office and had to be held down whenever he was sick and given injections of antibiotics because he was so on overload everytime they took him. They opted out of all voluntary med's and vaccines, but even he was able to have the TB test. Good luck with whatever you find out.
Since I have worked with kids every year since I graduated high school pretty much, I have been required to have a tb test every year or every other year depending on the state. I have lived in four in my adulthood. Anyhow, I have not seen them use those types of TB tests in years, and I live in CA too, I think those are more painful than the prick test on the arm.....some nurses can do that without the child even knowing it is done, they are so quick about it.
I think since we live in CA and there are so many immigrants in this area, I wouldn't take any chances. If my child has been exposed I want it immediatley cared for. I am a delayed vaxing mama, but I still am not going to risk something like that. I would quite frankly be pissed if head start started waving the tb test only because of the population of children that head start is set up to serve KWIM?
I also know that in most cases your child would not get services if he or she did NOT attened head start. I would also get it done because if there was an outbreak of TB, (which happens somtimes) you don't want the finger pointed at you. JMO
jjaelovesenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:06 PM   #17
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

According to DD's pediatrician, children do not have the ability to spread TB. They don't cough hard enough (he could have been talking about toddlers seeing as DD is a toddler, BTW). There's a list of countries that if you've visited them, your child should be tested. But other than that, unless they've been around an adult who had TB, it's very unlikely they would have it.

jjaelovesenglish makes an excellent point about immigrants if you're in an area where you're likely to run into many. Where I live, it isn't likely. And it's not required at DD's daycare even though many vaccinations are.
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:14 PM   #18
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelyb
Since you and I are on the same page and state I wanted to update you what the preschool told me...They told me it was ok that we wavied the TB test for the home base program we are doing but if he was ever to go to their actual center for preschool he would have to get the TB test....I don't agree with this so I guess I need to do some research on how can we continue to avoid it because there is a likely chance this fall he will be in the full inclusion program which happens to be at their site. I have sent a message to the ped to see if they do the QuantiFERON-TB Test (which is a blood test for TB).
http://lungdiseases.about.com/od/tes...tiferon_tb.htm

I still don't know what I'm gonna do, I'm sure my doctor will probably think I am nuts for not wanting the test done.
Thanks for the info. I am hoping that I can have my daughter excluded from testing since she will be starting Kindergarten not preschool. I had a friend whose little boy had to have the test done for preschool as well, apparently she didn't question it and just had the test done.

My question for you is why would you opt for the blood test verse the regular test? Either way he will get poked. I guess I thought your concern was about his sensory problems. I can see that the blood test would eliminate him coming into direct contact from the injection, but a stick is a stick to a child, even my 4 yo. (Who I told after her shots that would be it, because I didn't know about the TB test at the time. I feel like a big liar if she has to get poked again)
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:51 PM   #19
janelyb
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesmom23girls
Thanks for the info. I am hoping that I can have my daughter excluded from testing since she will be starting Kindergarten not preschool. I had a friend whose little boy had to have the test done for preschool as well, apparently she didn't question it and just had the test done.

My question for you is why would you opt for the blood test verse the regular test? Either way he will get poked. I guess I thought your concern was about his sensory problems. I can see that the blood test would eliminate him coming into direct contact from the injection, but a stick is a stick to a child, even my 4 yo. (Who I told after her shots that would be it, because I didn't know about the TB test at the time. I feel like a big liar if she has to get poked again)
No I don't want to do the blood test either since his veins are so tiny and just getting a tech to find a vein is difficult. I don't want to get it done at all but they keep insisting we have to or he can't come, at this point I am getting discourged and not able to find a way out of it?? I am waiting to hear back from the pediatricitian to get his views on it.....maybe if he agrees with me he might sign that form saying he's not at risk.

I just don't understand how they can have a wavier for vaccines but not wave the TB, eventhough their paper said TB can also be wavied(which I signed), it just doesn't seem fair.
www.dhs.ca.gov/publications/forms/pdf/pm286b.pdf

What I also don't understand is why other people who don't vax but they do the TB test or they say negative things to people who don't want the tb test.

I feel like you,me and one other mamma who im'd me privately are the only people in the world who don't want our kids tb tested. They also want to do a hemoglobin test too, which he has also never had done.

I don't understand why the doctors have never insisted this stuff be done to my 3 yr old but now that we are entering preschool the preschool requests/insists it be done!

Last edited by janelyb; 07-24-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:42 PM   #20
janelyb
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: TB testing, do you really need it?UPDATED

Anyways I had brought up the TB testing because the program my 3 yr
old will be starting required it but yet they had a wavier which I
signed.They were still insisting he get the TB test(and they said he
couldn't participate until he did) eventhough I signed the wavier,
they said it was required by all kids. So I called them yet again
and said...I signed this wavier saying for personal reasons I don't
want my child to have TB test and you can not discriminate againist
my child and he can be allowed to participate in the program with
other children, it's on the State form you had me sign. So now I get
a called back and the lady said ok if you signed the wavier, then
that's it end of story we won't pressure you anymore!

Finally for now this is over!!! This program is an inhome program
and when he does transfer to the actual preschool site I am hoping I
won't have to fight this battle all over again!

thanks everyone for all the info.....

Janel