Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2007, 02:07 PM   #11
andrea0324
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Can we compete for lowest utility bills?

I have only electric--no AC, hang dry, lights off--$58. We're waaaay out in the sticks, so we have no water/sewer bill. We also heat with wood, so our bill rarely is over $65 in the winter.

Advertisement

I blog! Stop on by! www.northernlightsmama.blogspot.com
andrea0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #12
Shadowwolf549
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our utilities are out of sight! We pay about $400 a month at this time of the year for water/gas/sewer/electric/trash and recycle. We have to buy our utilities from the county and they are the only game in town.

I'm scared for this winter...we have heard that bills are routinely over $1000 a month!!!
Angie Luckiest Lady in the world. Married to SAHD Justin , Mama to Jaden 10/10/03 and triplets Jeremiah , Jaren , Giavanna 09/15/05 and Gabrielle 08/12/13. We are one big, happy, Jesus loving family!!
Shadowwolf549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:14 AM   #13
sweetpea76
Registered Users

My Mood:

We are lucky to not pay for water, gas, sewage because we live in the country and have a well, septic and burn wood for heat. We do buy propane for back-up heat and that is averaging to be only every 2 years. We bought this year and for 300 gallons it was $520. My last electric bill was $86. But we have spent the summer remodeling and it was SO hot and being pregnant I couldn't tolerate the heat and we used a/c. We do have a 2 year old heat pump/ac unit so it is very efficient for a/c usage. I don't think our electric bills are very high for our area, I hear other people complain about bills in the hundreds this summer because of the awful heat we had. I do line-dry and try to use very little lighting and don't use the oven when the a/c is in use. You should look at you meter when the oven is in use - it really sucks the energy! Our winter bills rarely hit $100, it has to be dern cold that the fan on our wood furnace runs alot.
sweetpea76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:51 AM   #14
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowwolf549 View Post
Our utilities are out of sight! We pay about $400 a month at this time of the year for water/gas/sewer/electric/trash and recycle. We have to buy our utilities from the county and they are the only game in town.

I'm scared for this winter...we have heard that bills are routinely over $1000 a month!!!

That's horrible! What are you going to do? Can you get on a payment plan? Sometimes they let you pay more each month but on a steady level so you can budget easier. What about dealing with your own recycling at a recycling center????? Do you have those? We don't but fortunately we have trash pickup and recycling pickup every week already built into housing taxes in our city since it's a pretty populated city.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:13 PM   #15
Shadowwolf549
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerybugmady View Post
That's horrible! What are you going to do? Can you get on a payment plan? Sometimes they let you pay more each month but on a steady level so you can budget easier. What about dealing with your own recycling at a recycling center????? Do you have those? We don't but fortunately we have trash pickup and recycling pickup every week already built into housing taxes in our city since it's a pretty populated city.
We don't have any independent recycling centers or anything. The city is the only way that you can go. We are being charged 0.125 per KWH (which is 2x the state average) for electricity and our gas is really high too.

Don't even get me started on the company!! The turned our electricity off yesterday (only for 30 mins) b/c of a "computer glitch"!!! I was Our speech therapist was here and was like WTHeck!?!?! I was so You can bet I called them up today!!!
Angie Luckiest Lady in the world. Married to SAHD Justin , Mama to Jaden 10/10/03 and triplets Jeremiah , Jaren , Giavanna 09/15/05 and Gabrielle 08/12/13. We are one big, happy, Jesus loving family!!
Shadowwolf549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:26 AM   #16
coleybear805
Registered Users

OH my gosh I cannot imagine paying $1000 for utilities! Though, we did live in this little tiny house (about 900 sq feet, IMO pretty small for a HOUSE) where we paid $200/mo for electric (OLD electric water heater grr) and $350/mo in the winter for gas (old house and not insulated AT ALL, we only kept it at around 60-65 degrees even w/ a newborn)... plus garbage, water, etc. We were paying more for utilites than rent so went back to apartment living!
Old 09-20-2007, 01:16 PM   #17
EireItalia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Can we compete for lowest utility bills?

Well, several of you have me beat! Our electric was $65 this month. We have our own well and septic, so no additional utilities there.

I blog about emergency preparedness and home food storage on my Survival Blog. I buy Thrive foods for my own family -- PM me with any questions.
EireItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #18
BreeCan2
Registered Users

We live in TX so no A/C is not an option!! But our electric bill was only $150 for a 1200sq ft house. We keep the air on 80 and the ceiling fans are always going.

But we've also got to pay water, sewage, trash and gas. We spend a little under $300 a month.

If DH sees this we'll be sitting in the dark, sweating and taking cold showers =)

Bree
BreeCan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:29 PM   #19
Melissa~BHS
B/S/T with caution~ Ignoring attempts to resolve FSOT issue.

My Mood:

I'm not even going to play. My utilities are outrageous. More than once I have mentioned to DH that we could move to a smaller home and save a fortune in utilities alone. But then he reminds me that we have 5 kids in this house and what it would be like to have them sharing rooms and have LESS space per child. Umm, I just pay the utilities.

Melissa~BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:34 PM   #20
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

cant participate in this one...we were 2mths behind on electric bill this mth b/c we had to have groceries and pay the rent w/dh's check -sigh- our electric bill is outragous and we haven't gotten a cable bill yet.

GL mommas!